It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United 777 loses cowling in flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
A United 777, operating as UA1175, from San Francisco to Honolulu, lost the ring cowling off the front of the right engine in flight. The aircraft continued to Honolulu and landed safely. The aircraft involved is N773UA, a 777-222. It was the fourth 777 built, and was delivered in 1994. It's powered by PW4000 engines. No one was hurt, and it's not clear if the engine itself was damaged.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That’s unbelievable...

I remember in 90 or 91 a little continental or maybe American eagle crashed in southeast Texas because the cover over one of the tail wings came off...
Everyone died...

It was a tiny piece if memory serves....like a curved little covering...and it flipped the plane into an uncontrollable roll...

It’s hard to fathom how much more computing goes into the ability of this 777 to stay airborne but, dang, I remember that commuter crash like it was yesterday...
Maybe an Embraer or DeHavilland...the piece was tiny...

Anyhow, Zaphod will know more than me and I don’t google posts because I’m lazy..

Congrats to an undoubtedly awesome crew and plane...

-Chris

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

It was Continental Express in Laredo. It was more than just a small panel, it was the entire leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer. They failed to follow procedure and the stabilizer deicing boot wasn't secured properly, and caused a loss of control and in flight breakup of the aircraft.
edit on 2/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

That’s the one...I was just reading about it...

At shift change the head maintenance guy had removed half the bolts and didn’t tell the next shift...
It’s amazing [to me] more planes don’t go down on regional airlines...considering they’re often underfunded and tend towards corner-cutting...

I need to re-add “airline disasters” on my DVR....loved that show

-Chris
edit on 13-2-2018 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Long time, but had non-stop Honolulu/Atlanta on Delta L-1011.

She (L-1011) came in 2 hours late because unscheduled refueling stop LAX due headwinds. She came into Honolulu with #2 engine oil pump failed.

Watched them install replacement on the tarmac and we got going about 4 hours late headed for Atlanta - great tailwind had us groundspeed of 723mph most of the way.

That's a lot of water to go over whilst staring at missing pieces!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Eh, they still had another one! I don't see why people freaked out. As long as one is still running you're ok. You'll get that much closer to Hawaii before hitting the water.

edit on 2/13/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I have a friend who was on this flight..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It's good nobody got hurt.
I saw the Delta Flight 191 crash in Dallas in '85.
That kind of thing sticks in the memory.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Routine maintenance inspection check list : Engine cowling latched and secure... check.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Picture of it from twitter.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

A little 200 mph tape, a new cowling, and it's good as new.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Just whack it on ebay as slightly used.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Done, and done.....

edit on 14-2-2018 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Haha brilliant

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Hi seller, before I place a bid, can you tell me what condition it is in, are there any dents or scratches? I notice there are a few panels missing. Will these be in the box upon delivery.

Done, and done.....

edit on 1422018 by nelloh62 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: mzinga

I have a friend who was on this flight..

Your friend must have friends in high places.
That was some serious flying sully style.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Some panels require an additional deep water search charge.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I don't suppose there is any warranty, is there? And do you accept Tesco club card points as payment

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Phoenix

Eh, they still had another one! I don't see why people freaked out. As long as one is still running you're ok. You'll get that much closer to Hawaii before hitting the water.

That reminds me of a joke that I heard one time..... A man got on a 747 going from LA to Honolulu about an hour into the flight the stewardess walks by and asked him if he would like to have a magazine to read... he said no thank you... about 15 minutes later the captain came on the intercom and said ...this is your captain speaking please don't be alarmed but we have lost one engine the aircraft can safely fly on 3 engines but we're going to be an hour late getting to Honolulu.... then a short while later the captain comes on the intercom again and he says this is the captain speaking please don't be alarmed we've lost a second engine this aircraft can safely fly on two engines but we are going to be two hours late.... so they're flying along and once again the captain comes on the intercom and says this is the captain speaking please do not be alarmed although we have lost a third engine the aircraft can still safely fly on one engine but we're going to be 3 hours late..... the stewardess just happened to be walking by at that moment and the man says to her I guess I'll take that magazine now and she said okay why is that ? and the man said... I figure I better have something to read because if we lose one more engine we're going to be up here all night....

edit on 14-2-2018 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Haha I see what you did there

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join