It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overusing the term "BOMBSHELL"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
ATSers, I think it's time we really stop and think about how much we are overusing the word/term "bombshell." Over the last year or so I have seen an ever-increasing trend of using this term to try and express just how 'big' or important particular information is. When I think "BOMBSHELL," I think career-ending or social-media-shaking, etc. If there really were all these "bombshell" statements, memos, articles, releases, etc... where are the results? Why aren't politicians being ousted from society or why aren't companies being shunned by the public? Again, you are using a word/term that indicates a large explosive device has just been detonated, please use it sparingly and appropriately.

Or maybe it's just me...oh well. Sigh.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: moeron60

When I hear bombshell, I'm thinking of a platinum blonde with the sweetest little...
Smile.
Mmmm bombshell.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't disagree with your premise that the term is overused, however, since most of the headlines here on ATS are copied from the news article source, I dare see we are not the problem, but rather it seems to be a larger trend in the media.

Look at all the BOMBSHELLS
edit on 2/13/18 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
God, every single day there are at least 2 bombshell stories on Clinton/Obama....which so far zero has come out of said "bombshell"... I am pretty sure there have been at least 3 "bombshells" on The mostly fantasy land scandal, Uranium One deal alone in the past week!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Bombshells and duds.

Predictive programming.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Good luck. A lot of people actually believe these things are bombshells. And they'll fight tooth and nail to be able to continue to believe that.

What a person wants to believe seems to trump anything else these days. Pun intended.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

When I hear bombshell, I'm thinking of a platinum blonde with the sweetest little...
Smile.
Mmmm bombshell.

You too???!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Good luck. A lot of people actually believe these things are bombshells. And they'll fight tooth and nail to be able to continue to believe that.

What a person wants to believe seems to trump anything else these days. Pun intended.

Funny You type that as I was thinking those same thoughts and then immediately read Your post.. It is 'almost' like I'm in another dimension. I type this because right after the Presidential Erection, it was Herr Drumpf supporters who kept accusing 'Clinton Commies' of addressing any little matter, it is almost as if these 2 separate Isms switched playbooks???

Weird either way.

The word/descriptor that has lost all meaning to Me is 'Awesome' If everything is awesome, what would top that??

Worst offense? Men that add "Sr." after they impregnate baby momma, like there is such a thing.. Dale Earnhart; Dale Earnhart Jr.; Dale Earnhart III Who is Dale Sr.? Superfluous as all get out..

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Unfortunately, that's how a lot of languages evolve. A term has a meaning and then people continuously use it until it's watered down. The word "decimate" originally meant to kill 10% of a group as a form of collective punishment. Now we might use the word to describe a sports team or political party losing badly.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   

theres an entire list of overused hyperbole :

rare , cencored , suppressed , shocking , creepy , amazing , proof , truth ,

i could go on

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Well how about, then, "Mega Bombshell"?

No?!!

Well then what about "Ultra Super Mega Bombshell"???

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   

34 years ago I took my girl friend, at the time, to our Fire Department Christmas party.
Afterwards none of my coworks refered her by her name.
They all just refered to her as "The Bombshell".

I could not disagree.

edit on 13-2-2018 by grubblesnert because: fast typing equals misspelling

edit on 13-2-2018 by grubblesnert because: crap!

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
The most overused word in the USA is ....

Racist

followed closely by Bombshell.

The only real Bombshells (discounting munitions in general) are gorgeous blonds (and redheads ... but then, I am partial to redheads.)

P

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
The most overused word in the USA is ....

And here I thought "stick a fork in it" was.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Smile.
Mmmm bombshell.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousCitizen

As I recall, the ONLY time you have to use the source title as your own is in Breaking Alternative News.

I'm hoping most people read the article before they post it. Then they can fix the title and remove the nonsense.

Any title freaking out about a political scandal, using absolutes, or yes, BOMBSHELL is usually BS.

new topics

top topics

join