It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professor Uses 'N-Word,' Student Shouts 'F-You,' 'Free Speech' Class Canceled at Princeton

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

The term is obviously derisive if used to call someone a name. However, reasonable people should be able to discuss the term in educational setting. Many cultures have been the subject of horrible discrimination throughout history. The Jewish religion may be the most persecuted of all. Yet I routinely see derogatory terms for Jews on-line all of the time. I don't ever see anyone referring to the "K" word. Another example would be homosexuals. Up until recently just being who you are meant you were defined as being mentally ill. If you acted out your true nature you could be imprisoned. Yet the derogatory terms for homosexuals are quite often used in relatively polite conversation. An African-American author actually wrote a book called "N---er" and yet no one is allowed to say the tile of the book.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Krakatoa

“cra____s” were not enslaved for 300 years and then made 2nd class citizens for another century.

If you mean white people, that simply isn't true. You ever hear of indentured servitude? Also the Romans, Greeks, Persians and Turks had innumerable slaves from the Caucasus, northern and western Europe.

Ironically... it was white American's who first ended the practice of slavery. Right now there are more slaves in the world than ever before, and almost all of them are in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Nobody is marching for them.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

“What is worse, a white man punching a black man, or a white man calling a black man a n****r?”

The response was immediately hostile, as could be expected on the street. But, this is a university and is supposed to be a center for higher learning and intellectual debate. To which his response was.....

And when Rosen was met with disagreement of his use of the N-word, and on his continued use of the term in the academic setting, he said, he would use it, “if I think it’s necessary.”

I would interpret that as meaning if he thinks it is necessary in the context of the discussion on hate speech within the class. However, it seems a few of the students were not interested in true free speech discussions, and threatened him with violence. At one point a student approached him and got in his face to shout, "F--- You!!" As that student was approaching the professor ...

...a female student of color had shouted at Rosen, as the first was approaching, “do you feel safe right now.”

She knew what she signed up for, and I bet she did it just to be offended and shut it down.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
My first thought after reading this article is that I feel sorry for all the people who busted their butts to become professors in mathematics and physics. They could have made the same money trying to teach young adults what hate speech is.

Show me a non-autistic adult who doesn't know hate speech when they hear it. When my buddy and I shoot pool, the insults fly, but there is no hate behind them. We both know that. On the other hand, if I want someone to know that their absence would make the world a better place, I can say it with perfectly PC words and get my meaning across. I would like to think a student at Princeton could do the same.

I suppose you can't blame the students, though. All their lives, they have been conditioned to believe that feelings are more important than facts. You don't convince a population to support invading smaller countries using facts.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You know what we Realy Need to do?
put ALL blacks who say "N---er" in jail.
even if they are talking with other blacks.
Then they will see how stupid it is.

some one is keeping the hate Going
to keep blacks and white from equality.
whites know they can NOT turn there back on a black!
But the blacks dont see this. they just hate.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

^^^ This type of response is what I did not want this thread to devolve into at all. Please keep your racists commentary to yourself. I was hoping we could have intelligent debate on the topic, and not racially charged rhetoric.

Please, I implore you to stop now.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Nigger
Timber Nigger (American Indian)
Kike
Polock
Mick
Paddy
Paleface
White Trash
Cracker
Hick
Ginny(Guinea)
Wop
Rag head
Chink

I did a paper in college that compared racism to prejudice to simple ignorance. Those words above are ALL words that are used for multiple races. Many are still included in print media, TV and movies. Watch Blazing Saddles from the 70's and a lot are included.

Point is that it is a word. A description...but it is not racist. Racism is not hate either. It is about thinking you are better than someone else. Superior. You can feel superior and not hate. Ask politicians they do it all the time.

We are focusing on the word and the professor and not the actions of the students. Yes, students because another asked the professor if he was scared.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I guarantee you that nobody in this class was ever enslaved.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

higher learning , yeh but they get triggered by a professor using a word in an academic setting.
I wonder if anyone would have said anything if the role was reveresed a "person of colour" was the professor and he used a racial slur

So the slave trade of the Roman empire didnt happen ? white europeans werent enslaved by the millions to work to death in salt mines or for iron - en.wikipedia.org...

The world understands that black people have a pain body for their generational oppression because it is the most recent form of oppression on an institutional industrial scale by one people over another. (as in within the last generation of family)

Had the Roman empire existed today , id probably be a slave in Scotland
going back at some point most europeans probably had an ancestor who was a roman slave
most people if they go back far enough will find a slave in their family.

The mongolian empire enslaved millions.

Had the egyptian civilisation survived im sure they would have made slaves of many europeans for being less civilised.
( jsut saying and this is a joke " we wuz kangs n sheeit" yeh such a great civilisation that they also enslaved nearly 80% of the population)

slavery has existed from the point we learned to tie ropes and make cages.

Think about this for a second , slavery was done on such a grand scale because a seemingly more advanced culture abused the freedom of a less advanced culture (by their standards)

If the African nations civilisations hadnt declined they would probably have enslaved surrounding less advanced cultures.

In any case slavery is not unique to white people.

Also if the African nations were more advanced instead of being tribal , then Im sure the white europeans wouldnt have enslaved them and they would have enslaved another less advanced culture somewhere else around the world.
Such as south american indigenous peoples, or Chinese / far eastern less advanced cutlures compared to the industrialised west

In any case I ask you to read Mans most dangerous Myth: The fallacy of race - AShley Montagu

edit on 15-2-2018 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

en.wikipedia.org...

a racial slur is a stereotype and even though some may take offense , are the words at all racist on their own
No
they need to be used within context which outlines "superiority or inferiority " based on "race"

but we all should know that race is a fallacy!

However despite these , we still cannot ignore the blatant racism within our institutions of government and in society in general
where we humans are pitted against each based on media bull# and division by the perpetration of the fallacy of Race !

No races , one species

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Why is the term "person of colour" not include white people , because we arent exactly white, we are just really light brown , often pink and sometimes blue depending on how cold we get .
and jokingly , white and black arent colours technically so black and white people cant be "persons of colour" just those with lovely brown skin

I just think that statement itself is divisive

the world needs to remember we are all one species , scientific fact !
race is a fallacy , YES we have ethnic differences , but race is not real

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

I have never seen an actually black person.
Some deep shades of brown, yeah.
Some a lovely caramel shade.
I'm more of a ruddy, copperish tone. Not white.
A completely black or white person would be a little creepy.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

exactly right, we all have melanin to varying degrees to help us regulate vitamin D and to survive under UV bombardment

we are the #ing same species !

it makes me so mad , that racism actually exists ,

white people would be creepy as well , same with a "vanta" black person , how weird, they would look like a black hole
I mean look how weird that creepy "engineer" at the start of Alien Covenant, he is pretty white and looks creepy as #.

I am considered white by society but I am blessed with light golden brown skin, due to my genetic heritage. I was born with a mongolian spot, only occuring in African , middle eastern or far eastern societies . It's a dark area of skin "birth mark"

we are basically like the "cup of tea" colour chart

going from really dark brown to really light brown/ pink / blue depending how far into the arctic circle you go!
You only go blue when your arteries vasoconstrict due to the drop in temperature and you look blue hahah

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

this is the problem academia creating bullcrap classes instead of teaching meaning knowledge. if i found out my money was being spent on such a useless class i would be having a word with board of directors. whats wrong with teaching mathmatics and the sciences? this seems like a class you would find at a community colles not an ivy league school.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33

this is the problem academia creating bullcrap classes instead of teaching meaning knowledge. if i found out my money was being spent on such a useless class i would be having a word with board of directors. whats wrong with teaching mathmatics and the sciences? this seems like a class you would find at a community colles not an ivy league school.

It seems the purpose of the class is to discuss and debate the topic of the 2st amendment (i.e. free speech and expression).

What constitutes free speech?
Should there be limits on free speech?
What are those limits?
Who decides what should be limited?

See, the 2st amendment protects us all from the speech we despise and do not agree with, since it agrees with the one speaking and is within their right to speak freely. What you may consider unacceptable speech, may not me my measure (and vice verse). Academic discussions of that type are relevant at that level of education if, anf only if, the students are mature enough to be open to such a discussion without emotional outbursts and threats of violence.

That is the entire point here.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I think it was a stupid class to begin with.

I think Prof. Zimbardo had already shown that you cannot replicate oppression without actually making it real.

The only place you could would be is drama or the stage, after students learnt a lot about the characters and the play.
But a play has a beginning and an end.

But to just start saying things like that?
Pretty suicidal.

edit on 15-2-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

“cra____s” were not enslaved for 300 years and then made 2nd class citizens for another century.

Human beings have sensitivities beyond theories.

The idea of the class was stupid. There’s NO such thing as free anything in reality. The myth of western freedom is exposed.

Relative freedom, okay, but that’s about it.

Erm.... Not true, now I'm not here to get in to a game of my slavery was worse than your slavery, cause lets face it all slavery is terrible but by your use of the term "cracker" whether you spelled it all out or not in such a derogatory way lets me know that.

1. Your referring to white people as an entire race using that term which is a sh#t thing to do by the way.

2. You have instantly become defensive on the subject matter and appear at first glance to have reacted similarly to some of those aforementioned students in the OP, which is exactly the reaction the OP actually went put of his way to mention about trying to avoid in order that there could be some real conversations had by adults.

Further to these two points you then go ahead and talk utter bollocks by stating that "crackers" and by that we all know you mean us bad white people, have never been enslaved or at least not for hundreds of years.

Now I'll say it again I'm not here to argue over who's slavery was worse but when I see something that is so clearly a defensive bias opinion that is not at all based in factual reality then I have to try and right the ship by way of trying to educate you with said facts.

Please excuse the poor resourcing of wiki, but it's late I'm tired and its merely a heads up in how wrong you are, I'm sure if your genuinely interested in leaving your echo chamber you'll be able to find plenty more sources online.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Thanks.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Pazuzu666 because: (typos)

edit on 15-2-2018 by Pazuzu666 because: (typos)

edit on 15-2-2018 by Pazuzu666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The n word is still considered very offensive to black people, so it makes sense to either not use it or instead censor yourself by saying, "the n word". There are professional ways to discuss free speech. This professor was a moron, doing that in TODAY'S world and expecting no repercussions. Seriously, what was he thinking? Free speech doesn't mean you just go offending anybody you can with insulting derogatory slang.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Have you ever been an incarcerated white man in a group of black men that think of you as a "cracka"? The battle rages on...

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ziltoid666
Have you ever been an incarcerated white man in a group of black men that think of you as a "cracka"? The battle rages on...

I'd imagine that would be just the same as being a black guy incarcerated with a bunch of whites that think of him as a "N@@@".

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join