It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: Israeli Police to Recommend Indictment of Netanyahu on Bribery and Corruption Charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Several media Twitter accounts are lighting up with this right now.

AP:

The Associated Press‏ Verified account @AP

BREAKING: Israeli media reports say police recommending Netanyahu indictment on corruption charges, including bribery.

1:17 PM - 13 Feb 2018

AFP:

AFP news agency‏ Verified account @AFP

#BREAKING Israel police recommend Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu be charged with corruption, according to reports

1:16 PM - 13 Feb 2018

If you're not aware of the ongoing investigations, a tiny bit of background from a NY Post article published today:

Police to issue recommendations in Netanyahu corruption probe

Israeli police are expected to issue their recommendations as early as Tuesday on whether to indict Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in two corruption cases, according to reports.

In the so-called “Case 1000,” Netanyahu is suspected of accepting gifts from billionaire benefactors — including cigars and champagne from the Israeli-born Hollywood producer Arnon Milchan — in return for advancing their interests.

Meanwhile, “Case 2000” involves a suspected illegal deal between Netanyahu and Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper publisher Arnon Mozes that would have provided him with positive coverage in exchange for hurting rival daily Israel Hayom.

edit on 2018-2-13 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Hope it happens and looking forward to the trial.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
How much "weight" does the Israeli police carry? Is their "recommendation" seriously considered by those in charge of the country? (Could be similar to Maxine Waters recommending charges against Trump.)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is not surprising at all, been clear for at months that the police investigators will recommend an indictment.
Netanyahu already made it clear on numerous occations that he believes these investigations to be baseless and more or less politically motivated. So dont expect him to step down any time soon.

While i dont doubt the allegations made against him, i also think they are fairly ridiculous compared to what else goes on in (Israeli) politics. Two things can be true at the same time, so he probably did those things, but they also may have come after him with that because of politics. I wouldnt be surprised if the Attorney General declines at least some of the recommendations.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So is this bibi's 3rd or 4th corruption rap? It's hard to keep track

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

so they want to indict him for being a politician?

not likely. this isnt Argentina or Venezuela we're talking about here. if you want to levy corruption charges against the prime minister of Israel, they had better be accompanied with crimes against humanity.
much like his Western politician counter parts, these high ranks are untouchable.

'Bibi' has too much reach.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I believe it's 3rd and 4th. In the first two, the police recommended an indictment as well and Israel's AG decided against it, saying there wasn't enough evidence.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Rut ro

Netanyahu has allegedly been a very bad boy!!!

It paints a nice picture about how our government 'leaders' (here in the West) seem to legally get away with a lot, simply because of the laws they've enacted and lobbying efforts. Sad really, but anytime a government leader is held accountable for corruption, I'm pleased with that.

edit on 13-2-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

No its Case 1000 and 2000 and the AG has yet to decide on it. Todays announcement is the Police recommending to the AG to indict.

Times of Israel is reporting that a central witness in Case 1000 is - get this - defacto opposition leader Yair Lapid.
You cant make this # up.
www.timesofisrael.com...
edit on 13-2-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I thought it might be related to the oil deal where Netanyahu's son was caught on tape.

My dad arranged $US20 billion ($25.5 billion) for your dad, and you're whining with me about 400 shekels," he said

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: mightmight

Times of Israel is reporting that a central witness in Case 1000 is - get this - defacto opposition leader Yair Lapid.
You cant make this # up.
www.timesofisrael.com...

Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Politics has espoused one man one vote and civics taught each individual's vote is counted and has equal value but reality smacks you upside the head and you soon realize some are more equal than others in addition to the fact that, like it or not, money also votes.

Being somewhat pessimistic, I don't expect this to change as long as political critters exist and that they will accept something of value.

I think Bibi is to well connected to be brought down by something as trivial as bribery and corruption charges. Although, stuff like this might affect election if he stands again but with the possibility of a dust up with Iran where Israel comes out the winner the voters might not care.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Is there anything besides cigars and champagne? That seems like awfully little compensation to engage in corruption, even if they were really nice cigars.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
We can always hope, but that fact they've ignored 2 or 3 previous indictment recommendations is not a good omen.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

The timing is impeccable. Just when Israel is gearing up to war with Syria.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This will go nowhere fast. Politicians give each other presents... it seems silly to make much out of this.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

This will go nowhere fast. Politicians give each other presents... it seems silly to make much out of this.

Netanyahu is hated by the left because he talked down to Obama and the Democrats about the Iran deal, among other reasons. They'd celebrate if he got fined for jaywalking.

ETA: I didn't want to make this its own post, but I've been saving this for a rainy day.

edit on 13 2 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

I've been wondering why Israel is so intent on provoking Syria. Now it's clear: the yahu in charge needs a major distraction.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Obviously, but this isn't going anywhere. They'll have nothing to celebrate here.

posted on Feb, 13 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
a reply to: UnBreakable

I've been wondering why Israel is so intent on provoking Syria. Now it's clear: the yahu in charge needs a major distraction.

It strikes me that you have things backwards. If Bibi won't back down from defending Israel from Syria after being called on to back down, then they'll try threatening him through other means.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join