It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we fix Gays/Transgenders in the womb (assuming we could)??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

We fix clef lips at birth.. that’s not life threatening, but it will have a negative societal reaction.. so we fix it..

It is t the clef lip persons fault..

It is society who are mean..

But we still fix them..

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Alex turning wasn’t fixed at birth where he grew up having a normal life..

He was castrated chemically as an adult..

I’m not even proposing castration..

If you had the option as a parent. What do you do???

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

In order to fix something you have to admit it's broke

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Gay, maybe??

Trans no..

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   

It’s Alan Turing, and I say love what god made you!

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I know it was in jest. As adults we too joke about it. The teen years are vicious for many, suicide over that is, of course, the most tragic.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

For this thought experiment i need anyone who participates to pretend a couple things..

1) we find the cause of being gay and trans and it is biological. Let’s say it is as “simple” as some brain wiring that is supposed to go left, but instead goes right..

2) we have a 100% safe and 100% effective way to cure it.

So under those circumstances. What should we do??

Should we start fixing it before birth , which would inherently erase gay/trans people from humanity????

Or should we “leave it be”??

PS: feel free to separate out gay and trans since they are two vastly different things.. such as..

Yes we should fix trans, but shouldn’t fix gay.. or vise Versa...

Thoughts??

Being gay is obviously a disorder or genetic flaw. Two males and two females can't reproduce. If we accept the LBGT thinking that they are "born that way" then it stands to reason that if it could be "fixed". I suspect most parents would opt to have it corrected much like any number of other issues that are inconveniences, but not life threatening.

To add to your topic, what if you could test for homosexuality much like one can test for down syndrome? Considering that vast majority abort down syndrome babies, I'd be curious how homosexuality would be treated.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

a reply to: JWill

I think they all say if they could change they would.. at least at one point in their lives.

I'm bisexual. I've never said that, at least not about my sexuality. Although, I guess I've said that about certain character traits. Something like "I wish I was kinder". Or maybe, "I wish I was more patient". Certainly, "I wish I could emotionally connect with people the way they want me to". Stuff like that. But my sexuality..? Non issue.

As far as your thought experiment:

No. There are plenty of gay, bi, transsexual, whatever you identify as people that are happy with themselves and their lives. I think that these propensities serve a social purpose that is beneficial to the survival of the species long term. So, we need a few people that aren't strictly heterosexual in some environmental circumstances.

Sometimes those social pressures are very important to an individual though and because of that, it would be good If people could make that decision as adults. There are some circumstances that I think would cause plenty of people to choose that. For example, if you had a homosexual man in the middle of the bible belt he may choose to be heterosexual. Internally, he is not going to be happy with a woman and externally his social support system will ostracize and hate him if he is with a man.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   

For this thought experiment i need anyone who participates to pretend a couple things..

1) we find the cause of being gay and trans and it is biological. Let’s say it is as “simple” as some brain wiring that is supposed to go left, but instead goes right..

2) we have a 100% safe and 100% effective way to cure it.

So under those circumstances. What should we do??

Should we start fixing it before birth , which would inherently erase gay/trans people from humanity????

Or should we “leave it be”??

PS: feel free to separate out gay and trans since they are two vastly different things.. such as..

Yes we should fix trans, but shouldn’t fix gay.. or vise Versa...

Thoughts??

This is actually a rare home run for you. This question boils down to genetic manipulation and what is acceptable to manipulate.

We'd probably all agree if we could stop blindness or severe deformity, but what about more designer modifications? I don't believe that gay and transgendered people are handicapped. It's an aesthetic choice rather than medical necessity.

How about if we could make transgendered people born their identified gender instead?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I think of a Brave New World. More people are probably familiar with the movie Gattica, Brave New World is import to look at too, beyond the movie made for it.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
You want to "fix" humanity? Time spent fixing "stupid" would go a long way towards that goal.

K~

And stupid means what?
Somebody who doesn't agree with you.
That is what you post, and is what you are.
K?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I don't know.

If you take assumption #1 without any of the rest, what do you do?

Is it still a woman's right to choose?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

We fix clef lips at birth.. that’s not life threatening, but it will have a negative societal reaction.. so we fix it..

But we still fix them..

That’s mostly done for medical reasons because there can be feeding, speech, hearing problems etc

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Why?

There is nothing wrong with them. Different isnt wrong.

Why force nature to meet your specs?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Meh, I think being gay and trans is a luxury in a industrialized and civilized culture, in a uncivilized society they would not replicate and survive. Can we fix it in the womb, technically if it was normal and genetic the arguement would be how did they survive to this point. Personally I don’t care... I don’t think it needs fixing...
edit on 12-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-2-2018 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Would decapitation of the parent's work?

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Can we talk to a bunch of cells and find out what they feel?

Planned Parenthood.

Abortion has been taking them out for years!

Don't blame the right if there are only a small % of tranny's left on earth.

If they are soooooo important, stop killing them!

Stop killing everyone!!

edit on 2 12 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 2 12 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
You know when we start feeling the need to “fix” people who are otherwise productive happy members of society we might have a problem with acceptance, tolerance and compassion. To FlukeSkywalker, I’ve had this same thought, something just feels off about this realm of existence we find ourselves struggling to survive in. There really does seem to be this air of evil lingering over this world. What kind of omnipotent, “benevolent”, all seeing “God” would allow it’s so called “children” to suffer at the hands of the chosen few elite who have lorded over this planet for my millennia just to make a point about freewill? It doesn’t make sense at all.

Simple.

The "God" our primitive ancestors invented doesn't exist.

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

"Homosexuality as a Mental Disorder Simply Not Backed Up by Science"

Indeed, the latest and best scientific evidence shows that sexual orientation and expressions of gender identity occur naturally, and pose no threat to societies in which they are accepted as normal variants of human sexuality.

Source

posted on Feb, 12 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

But we still fix them..

I see nothing wrong with repairing a cleft palate.

You want to change how people "are".

The beauty of humanity is in our flaws.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join