It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Practice of Mercy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I'm in your corner, too. I think I am a kind person. I try.

However, the definitions of mercy and forgiveness are not equal and can have different meanings depending on the situation at hand.

I like the op's thoughtful and kind words but they seem like a catch-all for life's circumstances.

I don't forgive evil or have mercy for evil done to others. I do forgive a misfortunate misdeed that can be corrected or committed accidentally.

Society is much more tame when there are rules and punishments for breaking those rules. Mercy may play a part if the misdeed committed is understood by the accused then a time of reflection for the consideration of mercy pertaining to the punishment is sensible.

Mercy is a kind word but not appropriate in all situations. If you need an example, think Hitler, Kim Jong Il, etc.
Mercy MAY be appropriate for a minor crime or one committed by a person with mental issues.

edit on 10-2-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-2-2018 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: zosimov

The just power of mercy.

I really like this statement. And you are right, mercy is tremendously powerful! Forgiveness is a sign of strength, not weakness.

An article about the power of forgivess in Rwanda:
www.nytimes.com...

Also you mentioned "letting go of prejudgment" which is the first mercy we can extend someone!

I like mercy from myself but for consequences to my actions being between me and my maker for all things. Those times I might go beyond needing our maker to decide I should have to deal with the laws we all agree need to be so there is justice for all. We will have to agree on when that line is crossed that a higher cause supersedes the continued freedoms of certain people.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Yes, glad you wrote this! For one, I meant to double check the definitions to be precise about the nuance between mercy and forgiveness, and it is interesting indeed.

The difference seeming to be the relative power of the forgiver (Mercy being defined as the act of forgiving someone it is in one's power to punish or harm.)

I'm sure we can all be merciful in our day to day dealings, and few of us will ever be in the direct position to administer justice to a Hitler type, so discussing the downside to mercy, in my opinion, is not quite as applicable as discussing the upside.

Thanks for a great post!
edit on 10-2-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IDoAsIPlease

It would do you much good to write off humanity. Abandon all hope. Funny, I remember reading that somewhere before. Just look out for yourself and yours. Don't worry about what you can't change. The human race is not what was intended for this space rock. Maybe cockroaches will get it right since they are next up to bat.

Hey we may have to understand things better to keep going but we understand being negative only brings on more negative. Only a George Carlin type comedian could be negative and get rich. We do have to remain open minded to the fact some people are just evil/deceitful and power seekers over men. We can't give in to them and ignore the good mankind does for one another because of them.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: SickWave

No forgiveness prior to the NT?

Either way, glad it's a concept that's manifested in the time since.

Old testament the chosen were saved no matter. The reason, I believe, for the use of the Jewish history books is to prove man will always and every time commit crimes against one another as part of our DNA. And therefore we need a reason to be forgiven collectively instead of only one group of people.

I do believe we are all God's creation and Jesus was sent to be the sacrificial lamb for God's own flesh so to speak. The Blood of the Lamb was what the Israelite's enslaved in Egypt put over their doorway to protect from the final plague against Pharaoh.
"There's power in the blood,

ETA

I know and discuss the bible to get reasons for that opinion shared in this post, no doubt, with a Dr of Theology who is a minister of the Methodist Church.
edit on 10-2-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Mercy, something the world is lacking.

The world needs more people who care. When you've known people with narcissistic behaviour though, and gas lighters, it's much harder to feel sorry for them because they never change. And then you realise one day it's not you, it was never you. It was them, making you feel helpless and lost and forgotten.

If anything, people need to forgive themselves, not their perpetrators.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I would say mercy is a result of compassion or love for other humans.

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I think you are truly on to something here.

NOT that I could ever be this good (but why not try?) but am thinking of the form Jesus's mercy came in

"Forgive them Father, For they know not what they do."

That is as compassionate as it comes, and an interesting perspective to try to take when viewing our own and others transgressions.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join