It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Practice of Mercy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Hi friends

Mercy

I am beginning to wonder if mercy is the single most valuable quality to strive for and develop. For some, mercy comes easily, is given freely, has a seemingly endless supply; while others seem to become so embittered that even the smallest infraction will invoke their ire. Our world today is severely lacking in mercy and we all are suffering for it.

Forgiveness

Have you ever asked for forgiveness? Have you failed in your responsibility in some way to another and worked to redeem that error?
Has a person extended mercy towards you?
If you can think back to your most egregious error that was treated with mercy, can you remember the effect that forgiveness had on you?
I imagine the greater the mercy extended, the greater one strives to be worthy of it.
The act of forgiveness frees you from the torment of resentment, while offering the other the perfect vehicle for change.
Forgiving a person is extending yourself mercy by allowing yourself to recognize your own past mistakes, and by clearing yourself of negative energy.
I imagine that dedicated practice and meditation on mercy, with time, becomes almost automatic.

I for one am willing to try.

What are your thoughts on mercy? How do you think you could put these thoughts into practice?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

That's weird I literally have been thinking a lot about mercy lately.

The just power of mercy.

Enabling myself to act.

Letting go of prejudment.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

The just power of mercy.

I really like this statement. And you are right, mercy is tremendously powerful! Forgiveness is a sign of strength, not weakness.

An article about the power of forgivess in Rwanda:
www.nytimes.com...

Also you mentioned "letting go of prejudgment" which is the first mercy we can extend someone!
edit on 10-2-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

What an awesome -- and timely -- topic. Thank you for thinking of it and posting it.

I have actually been thinking about this quite a bit lately, given the current events. As angry and disgusted as I am at what our critters in D.C. have been doing (and continue to do), and as much as I want them caught and stopped and appropriately dealt with, I am also afraid of what that would look like given some of the suggestions I've seen... which I will not even repeat.

I don't have all the answers. But I do know that true justice must be tempered with mercy -- for ourselves as well as the guilty. And so must all our judgments, especially our moral judgments. Otherwise it's just being hurtful and hateful, and at some point just plain sadistic.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I don't have all the answers. But I do know that true justice must be tempered with mercy -- for ourselves as well as the guilty. And so must all our judgments, especially our moral judgments. Otherwise it's just being hurtful and hateful, and at some point just plain sadistic.

This is some great stuff... thank you.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Showing mercy, being merciful, great stuff. Just watch out for those pretending to forgive, like when soon to be ex presidents that bombed the world during their term, "Pardon" some criminals before leaving office.

Don't throw your pearls before swine.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Could your post be anymore off topic?

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis

That was off topic.

Show Mercy to the likes of a Hitler, Stalin, Serial Killer, Politician, Bully cop, Mosbster, Lion, Crocodile , see where it gets you.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Hello my friend. This is a great and relevant topic.

Humility (which encompasses both mercy and forgiveness) is probably the most undervalued and misunderstood character trait. It requires a great amount of both strength and courage and a true sense of oneself, so it's no surprise why it's severely lacking in an emotionally unstable and mentally weak society.

Just an ounce of humility requires a mountain of courage, and a mountain of courage can inspire an entire village.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Hi, it is great to see you, Hunter! Hope all is good for you, my friend.

Your post is gold. Thank you for some nourishing food for thought!

I am in complete agreement that humility is the absolute key here, and that it's is the result of tremendous effort, discipline, and strength.

edit on 10-2-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Perfect thoughts as it seems everyone is at each other's throats nowadays. I know my own Family is full of this one not speaking to that one and so on.

One difficult thing is forgiving and knowing you do forgive and yet you want to stay away from someone because they cause you constant pain. You are then accused of not forgiving.

There are sometimes people who will continuously hurt you or upset your Family or life until you need to stay away and be on a card sending terms only or something. This is a difficult thing when they want to see you and you know where it leads. Not sure how to handle these things sometimes.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

A member here once asked me what sort of wisdom I’ve aquired over my 6 decades of living. Not sure I’ve aquired much wisdom over the years, but one thing I can say is that forgiveness has been the key to my happiness and well being. Forgiveness from others, forgiving others, as well as forgiving yourself. The greatest gift you can give someone seeking forgiveness is simply that. To forgive.

Great thread OP and something we should all try and aspire to be... more forgiving. It’s incredibly difficult at times for some , considering the different scenarios forgiveness is needed for. Some are never sorry for their wrong doings, therefore making it harder to forgive.

It’s the old justice tempered with mercy problem. People still want justice for horrific crimes, despite criminals pleading for mercy and forgiveness.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Mercy? What is that? Where I come from mercy is for the weak. Mercy has no part in worldly affairs of men. Mercy has a way of getting people killed every single day in real world. I'll have no part of it.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IDoAsIPlease

Your choice but a highly isolating one.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather isolate myself around people of like mind who are strong than surround myself with weaklings. Strong people very seldom have an easy past.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Perfect thoughts as it seems everyone is at each other's throats nowadays. I know my own Family is full of this one not speaking to that one and so on.

One difficult thing is forgiving and knowing you do forgive and yet you want to stay away from someone because they cause you constant pain. You are then accused of not forgiving.

There are sometimes people who will continuously hurt you or upset your Family or life until you need to stay away and be on a card sending terms only or something. This is a difficult thing when they want to see you and you know where it leads. Not sure how to handle these things sometimes.

Are you a fly on the wall in my life??? That's exactly the position I'm in... I am literally taking a break from trying to write a note to decline an invitation for all of the reasons you describe. Wow. Judging by the other stars you received, we're not alone.

I really want to forgive, and I'm trying, but I'm sometimes not even sure what "forgiving" really is. Especially when you have both forgiven and forgotten so many times before, only to get stabbed in the back again and again. At some point, you have to just let go and remove yourself or otherwise refuse to be part of the equation. But I don't hate anyone, I don't wish anyone harm, I'm not seeking any revenge, and I take no pleasure when I hear of their hardships. For the most part, my policy is to avoid them whenever possible, be polite whenever appropriate, and walk away whenever necessary. Does that constitute forgiveness? I don't know. But it's the best I can do right now.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IDoAsIPlease

Doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather isolate myself around people of like mind who are strong than surround myself with weaklings. Strong people very seldom have an easy past.

Not showing mercy doesn't make you strong. In fact it makes you weak. It takes much more effort to forgive than to be merciless.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis

That was off topic.

Show Mercy to the likes of a Hitler, Stalin, Serial Killer, Politician, Bully cop, Mosbster, see where it gets you.

Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.

I don't think you're looking at this the way the OP is. Showing mercy and forgiveness towards someone is not letting them off the hook. It is not absolving them of the crimes and it is certainly not a free pass you give them to commit their crimes again. This is not a Catholic confessional.

This is more about the person doing the forgiving than the person they are forgiving. This is about YOU. Not them. What you are essentially doing is forgiving them/absolving them of the power they had over you when they hurt you in some way. What this does for you is it gets rid of the negative emotions, like revenge, and allows you to get on your life. It gives you back the control you lost when they put a bunch of negative # in your life that you didn't ask for. What it does for them is beside the point. They're not important.

Some people might say it is a selfish act because you are doing something for YOU only. That "an eye for an eye" is the only way to go. But when someone hurts you in some way, why would you want to give them any of your time via your emotions? That makes no sense to me because you're giving them exactly what they want. You're playing right into their hands. When they hurt you the first time, you had no control over that. Now you have the opportunity to take that control back by forgiving them, yet you want to stoop to their psychic level and keep them in control by CHOOSING negative reactions? Again, it makes no sense to me.

And by the way, if they continue their # after you turn your back and you feel physically threatened, that's what a well placed bullet is for. Self-protection. Just because you kill someone in self-defense doesn't mean you can't still forgive them for what they made you do.

As always, keep yourself current on local laws like stalking and legal self-defense measures and keep donating some money to local law enforcement charities as well as going to the functions. Keep a good name on THAT side of fence so you don't have to concern yourself too much with the other side.

Give them a reason to give you a benefit of the doubt if it comes to that.

Good topic.
edit on 10-2-2018 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I think you are misunderstanding the OP.

Also, how does showing mercy = weakness? For you to make such an ignorant statement shows me your own lack of understanding, despite your assertion to the contrary.

Strong people very seldom have an easy past.

I agree with this, but how is this relevant to your point or anyone elses? Are you saying those that have a rough past ultimately lose their ability to show mercy? Because that is an even more ludicrous claim.

posted on Feb, 10 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

The weak tend to follow the Alpha.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join