It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atmospheres of Exoplanets in TRAPPIST-1 Habitable Zone , New Reults

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Scientists using the Hubble Space Telescope have carried out the first spectroscopic survey of Earth-sized planets in TRAPPIST-1's habitable zone and the results are encouraging , the results show that at least five of the planets don't seem to contain puffy, hydrogen-rich atmospheres meaning they aren't likely to be gas planets but more likely rocky planets capable of sustaining liquid water at their surface and an atmosphere.

TRAPPIST-1 is a prime target for James Webb when it launches next year , more and better data will be available soon.

At only 40 light-years away if they're coming that could be where they're coming from.

edit on 9-2-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Pretty cool.

It'd be great for them to have oxygen.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I think NASA is wasting time and money on this right now.. then should save it for later.
For now they should put money and tech into Mars and get a working partnership going with Elon.
Lets get some people up there and start building.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Just put me on the first mission to whatever, wherever. I want off.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think, and I've seen many people saying this too, that 2019 is gonna be the year we'll discover life outside the Earth.

Now, I won't go that far to say it's intelligent and/or advanced life, but atleast fossils or microbes.

Maybe JWST and the Trappist-1 will be able to finally answer this.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

It's still forty years at light speed away from Earth though.

Just a friendly reminder.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That's the parallel universe we've been seeking. We are already there...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Universe?

This parallel universe seem rather small. I had expected it to be slightly larger than an exoplanet system...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Great news....we're getting there little by little......

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

And this is nothing if you can bend the space-time.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It's a Trap ...obviously.

(insert Star Wars meme here)

Despite the pun, I hope space faring civs are benevolent... despite the nuke evidence on Mars and the horrid seeming silence of the cosmos... despite evidence of ourselves and surrounding life-forms engaged in kill or be killed conflicts, I really hope there is some ultimate benevolent logic permeating the cosmos... or we be in deep trouble (maybe again).

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

We can learn more from looking at the Cosmos than we will going to Mars , I don't think it's money wasted I think it's the only way we will answer the ultimate question.

I want to see a Mars base but I doubt it will happen in our lifetimes.

posted on Mar, 3 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Proving that life exists on other exoplanets is cheap publicity to get the public behind this. So, I wouldn't call this a waste of money. Rather, this is part of the process. Locate other exoplanets we want to go to. Simultaneously, work on how humans can be sustained off world on a Mars. But, the truth is, we are likely 200 - 400 years away from trying our first interstellar mission at best.

new topics

top topics

join