It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just lost my Xerxes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
In May of 2005 I traveled down to North Carolina to meet my pharaoh hound puppy. He had giant ears, big paws and blue eyes. He bit me on the chin. 2 weeks later, when he was 8 weeks old I drove down south again to pick him up and bring him home. I didn't have any experience with sighthounds and everything I read was that they were stubborn and independent. I found him to be one of the most intelligent dogs I'd ever been around...he mastered every new behavior that I cued him in a few short lessons. Basic things like sit, down, shake, off, leave it, and even taught him cues for bow and smiling. (The cue for smiling was flipping him the middle finger...I had to change that cue because my mother objected to it.) He learned how to follow the retractable lead back to me, rather than a straight line. He was very good at figuring out things...like he figured out which squirrel belonged to which tree...and that to catch a squirrel he had to run to the backside of the tree and time his jump.

Fast forward almost 13 years...Xerxes has been the most loyal of all dogs, friendly to strangers but aloof. He never liked to be touched by strangers, but he also never bit anyone, or even growled. He was just a good hound dog, hiking buddy and an inside couch potato.

About 3 weeks ago he started limping. I took him to the vet for Xrays and they said arthritis, but it was impossible to get better xrays because he's very fidgety on the table. We got some pain meds and they kinda sorta worked, but the dog never indicated pain. He never flinched, winced or even made a sound when I massaged his legs every night. It went from bad to worse and he would walk 50 feet and then lay down on the cold ground during a walk, by this time both legs were getting visibly weaker. For the last 3 days I would carry him up and down the stairs to go outside.

Last night he woke me up at 1am literally screaming in pain and confusion. I did my best to make him comfortable, putting him on a blanket and bringing him a small dish of water and a little food. He still kept moaning and crying and fidgeting; he couldn't get into a position that didn't cause him pain. I made the call this morning and took him into the vet's office at 1030am. At 11:10am, with my head on his chest, I heard and felt his last gasps for air and heard his heart slowly fade and stop.

I think he knew this day was coming a few days ago..when he licked my hands, and my face in an uncharacteristic way.

RIP Xerxes, you will certainly be missed. I'm so sorry that it ended this way. You were a good dog, a faithful companion and a friend like no other. The condo feels empty without you here.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
No, no! I'm SO sorry, Kelb. I'll say a prayer for your heart right now.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

That was beautiful. I understand your love and your pain.

I lost my Samoyed Oscar last June and it broke me for a while.

The love, companionship and unswerving loyalty they give us is something to behold.

Run free Xerxes. I hope you meet Oscar.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
. I'm sorry about losing Xerxes. Pets do become family. I hope your taking it ok.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
my condolences. It's always hard to lose a loved one!

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

All of us dog and cat owners can relate to your loss. I'm a dog owner, and have lost two that our family loved so much and dearly miss. We have relatives who never owned dogs or cats that could never relate to the love and connection we have with our pets. They truly become part of the family.

I'm sure many dog owners hope that once we leave this plane of existence we can again meet again with our dogs and again enjoy each others company. I would love to think we could have verbal conversations with our dogs on the other side.

I'm sorry for your loss my friend.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Would you feel like posting some pictures of him for us? I would love to see those giant ears. 😊

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Sorry man, tears in my eyes right now. That is the worst part about having pets. Just know you gave him a good life and you two made each other happy.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Would you feel like posting some pictures of him for us? I would love to see those giant ears. 😊

I would but I honestly have no clue how to do so...

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'm very sorry for your loss.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I am so sorry for your loss! Xerxes is in a pain-free place now...and you will see him again some day.

I can imagine the sadness, as we have been there more than once.
In fact, tears are flowing now.

In time you will remember all the good times, the love and comfort Xerxes gave.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Rip pupper.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thanks everyone.

I needed to unload. Knowing that I did the right thing, and actually doing it are two different things. There hasn't been a single day in the past 12 years that I didn't see him, scratch his chin or give him a rub. He was golden in every sense of the word. And I will be forever grateful for every day that I spent with him.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. His sister Emmy is curled up under the covers now. I just finished a yogurt and instinctively called for Xerxes to lick the container. I'm a mess for sure.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:00 PM
link   

And you'll be a mess for a while.....but time and Emmy will help to heal your heart.

[[[hugs]]]

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
That's so sad. I am so sorry for the loss of your best friend. He will be forever running and doing tricks surrounding you with love.
RIP beautiful dog.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Yeah, I don't either. I use ATS from my phone and I've tried posting pictures a few times before without success, otherwise I would walk you through it because I would love to see your precious Xerxes! You gave a great description of the pup pup though. ☺️

I'm so glad to hear you have Emmy there with you! She can help you through this and you can help her. My heart broke when you said the thing about licking the yogurt container- my three dogs gather around me when I eat yogurt and all suddenly compete to behave most like an angel to win the licking of the container.

My brother-in-law passed in July, and one of the things that helped me at that moment when he exhaled for the last time was imagining him being reunited right at that moment with his childhood dog Sparky. I believe we will see our pups again! You will see Xerxes again and in the meantime I am sure he is still happily guarding you from above.

And- you DEFINITELY did the right thing. Prayers coming your way!

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Just looked up your beautiful dog bread and see you avatar name is the name if the dog. So sorry once again for your loss.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I am sorry for your loss.

He sounds like a wonderful companion and the best of friends. Those are the worst to lose and you'll never forget him. That makes it bittersweet. Bitter because it hurts; sweet because a part of him will always be there for you.

Take the time you need to heal and in time there will be other friends. They'll never replace him, but they will help you remember him and in good ways while they create new spaces in your heart for themselves.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
All dogs go to heaven.
I have some old pals there to greet him at the gates.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Was he killed by Artabanus?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join