It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Early English literature hoard 1472-1700

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Can't get your fill of books? Want to read some English Literature? Practically every book published in English between 1473-1700 can be found here: Early English Books Online it's a great resource it was even used as a scan source for outing Shakespeare for plagiarism with software designed to find plagiarism.

Lots of great works and inspiration to be found although, I don't suggest plagiarism which consists of three or more words to form a sentence the same as someone else's work... although that typically falls to published work? Hitting post might qualify with how weird internet ownership etc. is getting with digital rights. Since sites basically own or license all content or at least responsible for it I guess that means all bases are covered...

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hey, thanks! Looking forward to digging in. 👍

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

No worries, may you have many great quality hours of reading enjoyment.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BEBOG

Ummm...Now...you've done it...
Being the bookworm that I am and an information sponge...I'm now going to have to make room in my brain for all that site has to offer...

Thanks...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Hey people in university have had that making space business figured out a long time ago... it's called drinking.

Not something I suggest except in moderation and responsibility; of age, cab fare, a designated driver that sort of business... if at all.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BEBOG

Hey people in university have had that making space business figured out a long time ago... it's called drinking.

Not something I suggest except in moderation and responsibility; of age, cab fare, a designated driver that sort of business... if at all.

Ummm...well...

Three cheers to that...and hopefully not "three sheets to the wind"...unless I'm sailing...

Better make that two sheets...it's a sloop after all...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

As I am sitting and smoking a Captain Black blend and chin stroking... why worry about hoisting a black flag when you can wear a black beard?

Sounds like any sheets to the wind work just don't sheet the bed lol. I pitched so avast the rolling there matey as things trundle along.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
But can we read them?
I've just been testing the "Browse" function, finding huge numbers of books indexed by author and title, but the first two I tried (rather esoteric, I must admit), were only offering catalogue details, not readable text.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Yeah you have to be specific; as it is also used as a research library where all are index together... so first go by subject, then go by author and book name of interest from that subject. It isn't a very intuitive database but the entire books are in there.

P.S. you do have to register then you get access as many of these sorts of catalogs require built on the same sort of site platform... if not then it will be just the snippets. Full access is a simple email user name registration though.
edit on 8-2-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I asked, because I tried for one book and got this message;

"Author: Melton, John, Sir, d. 1640.
Title: Astrologaster, or, The figure-caster.

This keyboarded and encoded edition of the work described above is co-owned by the institutions providing financial support to the Early English Books Online Text Creation Partnership. Searching, reading, printing, or downloading EEBO-TCP texts is reserved for the authorized users of these project partner institutions. Permission must be granted for subsequent distribution, in print or electronically, of this text, in whole or in part. Please contact project staff at [email protected] for further information or permissions."

The book is rare. I looked at it once in the Bodleian. Perhaps the commoner texts are more freely available.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I read that; that one is up for a reprinting from an Australian source so it may not be available due to such... since the library goes by donations funding by reprints is likely one of the funding methods and when one goes up for reprint it is likely that they remove it for a certain period of time...

Good luck on your continued journeys in the Goetia though... it is a vast and yet not readily available space to dig around and research in. I dont know if sacred texts online has an edition or not... some works are held onto like artpieces and hard to ever catch an eye on like some found in the Vatican library only.

I think he also penned under John Dee as well so you might want to check that name out... there used to be a lot of religious heat in writing and to avoid getting raked over the coals some authored penned under different aliases.

edit on 8-2-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Title:
Moon-shine, or, The restauration of jews-trumps and bagpipes being an answer to Dr. R. Wild's Letter &c. and his Poetica licentia, &c.

quod.lib.umich.edu... t=1;subview=detail;type=simple;view=reslist;xc=1;q1=durham

I'll have one of those Poetica licentia's if they're free.

edit on 9 2 2018 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Here ya go...short stories all the poetic license you need to get writing within the T&C of ATS of course.

posted on Jun, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thank for sharing the useful website.

new topics

top topics

join