It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EPA's Pruitt Suggests Global Warming May Not Be A 'Bad Thing' For Humans

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: lostbook

I don't know. I grew up in Cleveland. So yea, warmer is always better than the # I dealt with. It's why I moved south. Looking for a warmer climate. Now your turn.

The earth warming will give us more extreme weather, you know what extreme weather is?

do you know where Cleveland is?

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

I don't know. I grew up in Cleveland. So yea, warmer is always better than the # I dealt with. It's why I moved south. Looking for a warmer climate. Now your turn.

So many ways it could be bad. Weather and weather extremes will be worse, vegetation will be less nutritious, warming will melt more and more glaciers thus pumping a lot of fresh water into a salt water system which will disrupt the nutrient dispersal in the oceans and kill a lot of Sea life, food shortages, pestilence, and whatever else you could think of. Also consider the fact that the world population is increasing and this only com

pounds the situation. Not saying that I have all of the answers but this is what I see through my lens.

See, this is why I feel the level of doom this one is being sold at, is excessive and unnecessary. An entire generation of people who live feeling guilty about something they have NO control over. We have been a fairly resilient group up till now, and the Earth sure as hell will adapt, as it always has. Our existence will be limited to our ability to not screw up our chances, but then, you, nor I have a say in the outcome. Don't believe me, stop using any fossil fuels. No Gas, no plastics, lots of things you aren't even factoring in. If we all turn into pumpkins in 50 years or less, we will be #ing orange pretty damn quick. enjoy life, or don't.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
Rapid warming is not good for us. The Arctic has trapped millions of gallons of mercury and I don't think anyone will claim releasing that into the food supply is a good thing.

I read about the mercury trapped in the permafrost...I haven't followed up, but where did the mercury come from? Mercury sticks around and incrementally accumulates (I know there are advisories concerning eating particular freshwater fish in the US because of mercury), so it seems very odd that this mercury wouldn't have been similarly released during the previous warming periods when much of the same flora and similar fauna existed. Methane is unquestionably trapped and set to be released from the planet's permafrost, but mercury? If true, that sucks. Like hugely sucks.

If the current warming is directly tied to mankind's usage of hydrocarbons, modern agriculture, deforestation, etc., we missed the boat in 'combating it' (I know why the more accurate but less partisan 'mitigating it' isn't used). It was politicized/weaponized. If it were couched as an 'energy crisis', which it is (why anyone ever critically thought, "hey, we can convince the public, for the good of the public, humans have an ability to affect weather with great precision. we got some kick-arse computer models" was beyond me until I suspected with a 95% confidence interval personal politics bleed into science...the other option would be complete and utter naivete), the public would have supported action. Not indifference, suspicion, and apathy. The messaging failed. Bigly failed.

Remember 'acid rain'? There was a lot of rhetoric coming out from the vested parties that cost would be prohibitive, but the public said, "so what, I'm willing to pay for a cleaner environment... Scub that sulfur and pass the cost onto us...". Fast forward 5 years after full implementation of the Clean Air Act's Acid Rain Program (ironically enough, it's that coal sulfur pollution that continues to accumulate in freshwater fish vis a vie bioaccumulation of mercury -- it [mercury] gets around and sticks around) and the cost for regulatory compliance came in. Something must've been wrong. Coal companies continued to make a 'fair market' profit because compliance costs were far lower than projected, in part because technological innovation generally has spillover effects that can't be forecasted. If the current warming could be tackled with the same approach* (Acid Rain Program allowed non-compliance to be tackled with market mechanisms; it wasn't a command and control approach and the more efficient, competitive coal companies thrived), I strongly believe that proactive measures in the private sector would have signaled that 'combating' climate change was a feasible task. We haven't seen that. It's an energy issue and civilization, as a whole, is path-dependent on hydrocarbons.

Regardless of man's influence on current and future warming, it's too late to do anything meaningful. Mitigation has marginal potential, but the real 'out' is adaptation. I am hopeful future policy-makers have an eye towards adaption and less alarmist rhetoric. If in 50 years, we find out the worst of the worst is gonna become reality and there was a period when 'something could've been done', those alive can blame the global warming alarmists' rhetoric.

*The assumption being there's unquestionable verification it is man-made, not man-made acceleration of a natural feedback loop.

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   

So many ways it could be bad. Weather and weather extremes will be worse, vegetation will be less nutritious, warming will melt more and more glaciers thus pumping a lot of fresh water into a salt water system which will disrupt the nutrient dispersal in the oceans and kill a lot of Sea life, food shortages, pestilence, and whatever else you could think of. Also consider the fact that the world population is increasing and this only com

pounds the situation. Not saying that I have all of the answers but this is what I see through my lens.

See, this is why I feel the level of doom this one is being sold at, is excessive and unnecessary. An entire generation of people who live feeling guilty about something they have NO control over. We have been a fairly resilient group up till now, and the Earth sure as hell will adapt, as it always has. Our existence will be limited to our ability to not screw up our chances, but then, you, nor I have a say in the outcome. Don't believe me, stop using any fossil fuels. No Gas, no plastics, lots of things you aren't even factoring in. If we all turn into pumpkins in 50 years or less, we will be #ing orange pretty damn quick. enjoy life, or don't.

So.......you're saying I'm right?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

The earth warming will give us more extreme weather, you know what extreme weather is?

Gotta love all the predictions based on no evidence.

Science has not a clue how this planet works....like nearly 100% wrong on everything they theorize.

And they like it that way.

Better research is being done lately..yet most discoveries do not see the light of day as it would make them all look like utter fools..
and perhaps some other nefarious types want that squelched as well.

Really sad how completely in the dark these so-called experts are.....embarassing and too much for words.

edit on 9-2-2018 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Of course I do, also extreme weather doesn’t realy effect me in England but I’m concerned for countries that have hurricanes

You do not understand in the slightest what occurs when the oceans get warmer due to global warming

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

LOL, sure, if you want to look at it that way. I believe that we don't know EVERYTHING quite yet and things may change, but if you get some prize for being right that we are all doomed, celebrate! Throw a party!

I swear, the cult members act as if they get points for everyone they convert.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Of course I do, also extreme weather doesn’t realy effect me in England but I’m concerned for countries that have hurricanes

You do not understand in the slightest what occurs when the oceans get warmer due to global warming

Actually no, I don't, but I have heard some predictions. Some have come to pass, and quite a few have fallen by the wayside.

I already have a nice hole where I keep my head buried in the sand and all, so I'll just hang out here for a bit and see what transpires. But if we all start to die off in droves, I'll be sure to check back with you and offer my congratulatory salute.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

LOL, sure, if you want to look at it that way. I believe that we don't know EVERYTHING quite yet and things may change, but if you get some prize for being right that we are all doomed, celebrate! Throw a party!

I swear, the cult members act as if they get points for everyone they convert.

Cult member? Oh well....you were nice to me for a little while...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join