It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impossibly large bird spotted in Mendenhall Valley

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Mendenhall loop rd. is at minimum a 2 lane road with decently wide shoulders. It ends at one of the larger tourist attractions in Juneau, the Mendenhall glacier. They drive tour busses down this road all day, every day, all summer. This is not a small one lane dirt track. I'm told... you can do well over 100 mph on the way to the glacier, after driving to the end of the road and making sure it is deserted when the tourists have left. Outside the shoulders there is a wide bike path/sidewalk too, its a huge notch in the trees at its narrowest.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
There are stories of a bird in Alaska called The Thunderbird, many stories and tales about it online if you care to take a look ;-)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Here is a google earth street view of Mendenhall loop road.
It is pretty big. Hard to imagine a normal birds wings stretching that far across the road.

Right click to view full sized.

edit on 7-2-2018 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I love expedition unknown and the previous "Destination truth" series that guy does... its AWFUL investigation, but its an entertaining travel show. Just learning about the various supernatural and cryptozoological legends various peoples have, love it.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Did not know you were (another) Alaskan on ATS.
We have half your state as members here, I think.

That sounds like another edition of the "thunderbird".

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'd say California Condor, but they're not found in Alaska.

One of the more memorable moments in my life is when one of those buggers flew about 10 feet above my head while I was walking on a remote trail. Massive bird. Looked as big as a person sitting in a tree.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

I was driving across the Belton Dam about 2 months back and had a turkey vulture fly into my windshield. The turkey vultures love that area, and perch along the safety rail.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Yikes. That would be startling.

Yeah those are some big birdies as well. They often perch on the fence posts at my mother's house.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Here is a documentary on the Thunderbird,
which does sound like the first eye witness account.
A giant jet black bird.

I just started watching the video so don't have much to add,
but wanted to throw it out there for anyone interested in it being a possible Thunderbird sighting.
It does seem to fit.

Believe it...or not...

(at 13:45 they start covering Alaskan sightings)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Turkey vultures are weird.

When I used to work in a fish farm we would see them all the time circling around and I got within about 10 feet of one once when I was tossing dead fish onto a compost pile.
Big UGLY birds.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

These days with the weather being all weird,
I don't think it is that far of a stretch to consider something such as a condor making it that far into Alaska.

It could very well be one.

I hope there are more sightings and someone with a cell phone or camera gets a picture.
If there is a big bird of some kind flying around that is lost,
there should be more sightings.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I love stories like this! I love the unknown, it's what brought me to this site.

In the next two years I am going to be hiking/camping in the Nahhanni National Park in Northern Canada. Check it out if you get time, it's known for being a weird place with the 200 mile gorge being called the valley of the headless men.

Hopefully, I keep mine!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

I hope you make thread on it after, sounds like a great time!
Just watch out....

Cryptids

There have been two types of cryptids reported in the park. The Nuk-luk is a cryptozoological hominid that stands about 5 ft (1.5 m) tall, has a long beard and may or may not wear clothes. The waheela is a wolf-like creature similar to the shunka warakin or amarok.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71
I believe the Waheela is Amphicyonidae. Link

The Nuk-Luk may be the Naha people. Link
Who knows? Either way, it will be a great trip as long as I keep my head!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Since you're into that sort of thing and camp if you haven't check out the great dismal swamp lands of virginia sometime... I had a tent encounter late at night way way back in there as it is a camp ground area but miles and miles deep where you can get a solitude no one around for miles experience what ever it was circumambulated the tent a few times then brushed right up against it sounded like a course fiber brush against the tent material... I picked up my key fob and started pressing the lock unlock to flash it's lights, it doesnt horn honk or have a panic alarm like some do... the liights were enough to scare whatever or whomever it was away... being miles out and not alone I thought it safer she and I left, as earlier when looking for a site we came across one that was ravaged by something with a partially burned tent and personal stuff that wouldnt normally be left behind. Best not to have had two sites out there like that :p

So that was a nice creepy place after nightfall during the day beautiful right next to a small stream... I had a big huge looming feeling and a lot of sniffing/heavy breathing with every hair stand up on my body on the appalacian trail that was likely a bear though. So dismal wins as creepiest place I've camped on the eastern coast. In the desert and midwest I was more concerned about snakes after it felt like one slid on in my sleeping bag once to get warm and cuddle up... lol that led to a rain dance as I dont know how I stood straight up in that bag but I was dancing yet more like stomping til I could get out of it... thats when I decided tents are a good decision right then and there, as it used to be just basics and a bag right out in the elements.

edit on 7-2-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: BEBOG
I don't do large spiders or poisonous snakes. There aren't either where I live in Canada. That's why I like the cold! haha

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I used to walk to the glacier dang near every day when I lived in Juneau......it is a very mystical place, Juneau....lots of beautiful rainforest, mountains shrouded I'm mist, giant trees.....seems a very fitting place for a thunder bird.
edit on 7-2-2018 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Typically leaving them be they do the same, of course being where they likely will be arming oneself with there may be an encounter will not allow the unexpected encounter arise as then youll see them if there are any before SURPRISE! forgot about us didn't you? Perhaps thats why they are even there to begin with... a silly reminder that you are still alive by that heart about to beat out of your chest and theres other life aside from oneself to curb the ego at the same time.

edit on 7-2-2018 by BEBOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK
Is Juneau in the Alaskan Triangle? Anything mysterious to report?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

mysteriousuniverse.org...

Apparently so...... interesting, I had never heard of this.

It covers where I am living on the Kenai Peninsula as well.

I have had an amazing broad daylight UFO sighting in this area.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join