It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amtrak problems AGAIN today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
What in the world is going on with Amtrak?!

Amtrak train breaks apart at 125 mph

A high-speed Amtrak train bound for Penn Station broke apart as it was cruising through Maryland on Tuesday, sources told The Post.

The 2150 Acela was traveling from Washington D.C. to the Big Apple when the incident happened at about 6:30 a.m. The train was traveling at about 125 mph, according to the source.

“Someone could have been walking through the train when that happened and fell to their death,” said the source.

Amtrak officials confirmed the incident and said there were 52 passengers aboard at the time.

A photo shows the connector between two coupled trains broken and separated. Only the air hoses remained connected between the two cars, which both had passengers in them, said the source.

Bad luck? Just another day? Sabotage?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
must be the spooky "Antifa"... not the failure of infrastructure due to ignoring glaring problems to hoard profit

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

I'm going to say sabotage. At least on this incident. What are the odds? Can't be that many coincidental accidents..

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Call me a tin foil hat wearer.... But with how many times we've had spooky infrastructure problems like tornado sirens going off and emergency alert systems sending false alarms, coincidences only happen so often.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Another "jealous coincidence" 🙅

Somebody's getting nervous about the AMTRAK funding 🆘

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

friends don't let friends ride Amtrak

Texas is looking to build high speed rail between Houston and Dallas; the trip would be made in 90 minutes. They'll be using the same train equipment the Japanese use in their successful bullet train applications in Japan. It will of course, be a total boondogle, and that's assuming it ever gets built, which I doubt.

There are at least two reasons it won't be well attended. For one, the Houston terminal will be built at the old North West Mall location which is easily 30 miles or more from DT Houston, and that's assuming someone wants to visit DT Houston, maybe on business. Thus, if you can't put your vehicle on the train, you're looking at $50.00 cab fare or more, if you're trying to get to the Woodlands. It might work out if they had car rental places like they do at the airports, but I haven't heard of any of that.

The other problem is that so much "business" has moved outa Dallas for Plano and or West Dallas, so you've got basically the same problem at that end of the line.

But the obvious reason the day for this has passed is that whereas Dallas used to be a shopping Mecca, as was to some extent, Houston's Galleria, retail in the Internet age is dying.

If they do build it; I'd only ride it if the Japanese were operating and maintaining the train, otherwise........a high speed Amtrak and we all know how that's working out.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Another item that the US can learn from France on-trains and health care.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Seems like if the couple broke then it will be easy for them to tell about wear or perhaps a hacksaw mark or two and even residue from some agent.

Now the other train that rammed the freight had to be software problem if the track was locked in place that means it was done by rr according to schedule or hacked schedule, unless the lock is not a rr lock or a rouge rr agent.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Seems there ought to be an investigation to see if there are any common links ...as in an employee or contractor who may have had access to the Crozet incident, SC, and now this one in Maryland.... Hmmmmm

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Our rail systems have been antiquated for decades. Europe, China, all over the globe they are, and have been developing high-speed rail systems.

And look at the crap we have in the US, and all of the problems. With or without sabotage, our infrastructure and in particular the railroads are in a state of disrepair.. but where's the money going to come from to repair or replace them?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Of all the recent train accidents, this one feels most like an actual random accident. The GOP train crash was probably not an accident, and other recent events like the one in Washington State were at least a little off. This sounds to me like the coupler failed, either due to metal fatigue or because the locking mechanism broke.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Too many railroad troubles in such a short time span. It's way past time that the railroad industry in the US be modernized and properly expanded which, if I remember correctly has been blocked by the automotive industry since cars and the highway system started causing a decline in passenger train ridership.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
must be the spooky "Antifa"... not the failure of infrastructure due to ignoring glaring problems to hoard profit

Yeah, except infrastructure elements that have been neglected are funded by Congress. But by all means, we can blame all the world's problems on the pursuit of profit if it helps you sleep at night. Who's looking for a spooky boogeyman?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   

IMO
These are warnings as a message to settle down. I say stay the course. Hell, even if we get nuked, stay the course. There is only so much that can be done before the scale is tipped into blowback.

edit on 2 6 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Seems like if the couple broke then it will be easy for them to tell about wear or perhaps a hacksaw mark or two and even residue from some agent.

You cannot cut a railcar coupler with a hack saw. You'd need a gas-powered cutting tool.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Our rail systems have been antiquated for decades. Europe, China, all over the globe they are, and have been developing high-speed rail systems.

North America HAS tried high speed rail several times. in every case it has failed. and one of the biggest reasons for their failure is the cost of using it. while such a system may work in rather small countries like Europe and Japan, the US and Canada seemingly just too big and spread out to make such a system cost effective. even normal passenger trains are too expensive, as well as time consuming to be readily used by people. i remember years ago i decided that since my parents and i were traveling to the same location i would just travel with them instead of driving my rather gas guzzler van. but since i needed to go back home earlier, i would just take the train. i realized taking the train would be a major inconvenience time wise, as well as then the need to struggle with luggage on normal public transit would be a major hassle. but i was trying t save money, and so i figured i would just put up with those inconveniences. it didn't happen. and it did not happen because when i got ticket prices for the train ride one way, i found out it was going to cost MORE than driving my gas guzzler both ways, was going to cost. now if a normal train is more expensive, just think about how much more a high speed train would cost. and that is apparently one of the reasons every high speed rail system started up in North America has failed. as it is one of the reasons Amtrak has to rely heavily on government subsidies to operate is that even it can not even earn enough money to pay for it's operation even with what they charge for tickets.

And look at the crap we have in the US, and all of the problems. With or without sabotage, our infrastructure and in particular the railroads are in a state of disrepair.. but where's the money going to come from to repair or replace them?

the railroads are in disrepair because most railways being private corporations who own things like the tracks and the land they are on, have not been doing the needed upkeep. and with the tracks and infrastructure Amtrak owns, i guess all the money they already get from the government is not enough to do proper maintenance. so how many millions or billions should the government be throwing away to support such a failing business model? in fact the reason Amtrak even exists as it does today was that the government took over passenger rail service, because even way back then it was a financial failure. but was a needed service, unlike today where we have aircraft that does a better job. and by the way that one section of track than Amtrak derailed on last month, was a brand new bypass, that cost over $180 million. and the reason that low speed corner was left, that caused the derailment, was that to deal with that alone would have pretty much DOUBLED the cost.
edit on 6-2-2018 by generik because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2018 by generik because: fixing quotes

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

You cannot cut a railcar coupler with a hack saw. You'd need a gas-powered cutting tool.

thanks mr. obvious

both would leave marks and that was the point you ignored to form you response

don't worry you look smart

eta i bet those hoses that held the train together were american made?now that would be a selling point
edit on 7-2-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is the trouble with leaving rail in the hands of private ventures.

There are a ton of ways to improve safety, but they all cost money and, until the breakdowns cost more than fixing the problems, nothing changes.

Having said that, a fair few years ago there was a steel train that separated several times in a week on the same stretch of the Gloucester- Newport line.
Turns out there was a bump that developed in the track and it was enough to throw the coupler off, bringing both sections of the train to a halt when the vac tubes separated.
Only happened with that one train too, between the same two wagons. There was obviously something up with them but they were sent off for refit and the line levelled again.

I never once heard of this happening with a passenger train, not once in twenty years. (Different coupling systems)

edit on 26pWed, 07 Feb 2018 09:13:26 -060020182018-02-07T09:13:26-06:00kAmerica/Chicago28000000k by SprocketUK because: needed a p

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

thanks mr. obvious

If it were that obvious why did you say it?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Knuckles break. It's hard to do on a passenger train, but I've seen it happen before. They break on freight trains much more frequently. The industry went through a period several years ago where the class 1s bought a bunch of knuckles from china in an effort to "save money". We had an explosion of separations where many of the knuckles where hollow in the middle due to poor casting techniques. We had another period with the same issue with wheels made in Mexico. Fun times.

As for poor infrastructure, some railroads are in poor shape, some aren't. I read somewhere just the other day where BNSF has earmarked well over $500 million for 2018 track maintenance projects.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join