It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Will Be Pushed To Your Limits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: Irishhaf

That land area drops a ton once the nuclear power plants melt down.
Basically the entire east coast and most of the middle of the country will be full of radiation.

Rocky mountains will be the only safe place at that point.

You do realize your are talking about a 21st Century US , right ? Not an early 20th Century Soviet Union pressing an age old reactor past the point of no return ?
Stay away from Fallout 4 and other post-apocalyptic games for a while....

This goes beyond video games there pal..... Have you done any research into what might happen to this country if nuclear power plants start going offline? www.survivalistboards.com... www.shtfplan.com... modernsurvivalblog.com... www.ar15.com... www.reddit.com... www.survivalbased.com...

I suggest you bone up on your reality a little before wasting time with posts like yours again.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Most humans can't run a quarter mile.

LEts be real;

Most of you will die in the first wave.

Do you have a condition? Cause your first to go.

It'd be something most of you should pray never happens.

This soft society isn't ready.
edit on 6-2-2018 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Survival is always going to be beyond our comfort limits. Even with no violence going without food, water, medication, decent sleep is a trial for anyone. The core of survival is our mindset, being able to write off discomfort and still think clearly about what your most pressing needs are and addressing those. Being able to prioritize is key to getting through. Keeping a positive attitude is not enough, you need knowledge of both the human body, it's limitations, what you can find in nature or scavenge from man made objects. Drinking unfiltered water is likely to be the biggest cause of death as it has always been. What will you do if you don't have a water filter? What if you can't make a fire either? One last thing - fear and boredom can kill you as well as both lead to poor decision making.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Most humans can't run a quarter mile.

LEts be real;

Most of you will die in the first wave.

Do you have a condition? Cause your first to go.

It'd be something most of you should pray never happens.

This soft society isn't ready.

Moste People who survive a large global event today will die within three weeks unless they are helped.

Depending on the time of season the event should takes Place the Deaths would even come sooner.

Old and Young are just as week. The Young kids today dont know how to scavage for Food when the stores are empty... old People dont have the Health to do it.

Only a few would know how to survive.... The homles would be my bet.... they are used to rough times all Seasons. But even they would have a hard time if their Health is bad.

When it comes to farming Food. hardly any of Our kids know how that is done. And farming takes weeks and months and hard Labour. Moste kids dont know where or how to find seeds.

Hunting animals is a another issue...... If People think their gun is going to solve their problems there they are in for a treat. Hunting is not as easy as it looks on YouTube.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: GuidedKill

Have you ever been in a swamp?

I'm in Alaska and surviving here would be easy for us who know how to do it. I've visited the Everglades a couple of times, and that would be way worse than any place I could imagine.

I've gone off grid for months in the mountains in Idaho and been on survival trips in my youth in both the mountains and deserts of Utah and I'd rather be in the desert than the swamp.

Yes. I grew up in and around them swamps that is. I've also been to Ketchikan AK and fished the Kenai a few dozen times. Yes all areas are different and take different skills. Exactly why people should get out and learn how to take care of themselves.

I can promise you I won't be hurting if it happens. Just like ole hank said a country boy can survive.

edit on 6-2-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Basically the entire east coast and most of the middle of the country will be full of radiation.

Respectfully disagree, there is plenty of reading you can do, check the prevailing wind patterns and actual locations of the plants. While it will be horrific in some areas there are still lots of areas where people can survive and even thrive.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Respectfully disagree, there is plenty of reading you can do, check the prevailing wind patterns and actual locations of the plants. While it will be horrific in some areas there are still lots of areas where people can survive and even thrive.

I doubt it.

There is only a fraction who knows how to live without some kind of modern help over time. Even they would need to be Lucky.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Hey. Bologna is LIFE. Without, it's just not worth it.

Actually, learning to survive without all that stuff, except bologna, is rather straight forward. It takes practice, like any other skillset, but it's stuff you can practice on the weekends--you don't need to go out into the Deep Woods to do it, either. Set up your survival camp in the back yard. Learning to make tools or shelter from available materials, once you learn how, is very straight forward.

Toughest thing for me to learn was starting a fire from absolutely nothing. It takes patience, and practice. Even then, sometimes nature will say "No fire for you today." That's when things can get very interesting, not to mention damned uncomfortable. Always better to practice it someplace where there's central heating nearby...

I learned in the Bush in Alaska from an old sourdough who'd lived his entire life outdoors. From Arizona to the tropics to Alaska, he'd seen and done it all.

Speaking of bologna...I need a sandwich.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: spy66

Not sure where you live, but the areas I currently live (where my house in the states is) and other areas I am looking to live, lots of ranchland, lots of farms, lots of hunters and fisherman.

I stand by my earlier statement.

===================

Back on the power plant thing, the US is not like Europe where I can walk into the farm fields not far from my house and see 3 Nuke power plant water plumes. (terminology is probably wrong sue me) The closest one to my house in the states is several hundred miles to the south.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I beg to differ. These skills aren't hard to learn, especially if you truly need them. I've taught kids basic survival skills for many years. I've lived off the grid in Alaska, and I actually gained weight. The only place I've been truly uncomfortable while out in the wild, was in the Bitterroot Mountains--that was in the late fall, early winter. Not something I'm going to repeat willingly...

To live, even thrive, in a survival situation is hard work, but it's fairly straight forward. Easier for a group, of course, but one person can, I have, do it with a little knowledge and work.

Many people would be pleasantly surprised at how much they do actually know. It's the patience that is sometime, most times, required. Most people can build a lean-to. Most, or many anyway, know the rudiments of starting a fire--what they may not know is just how long it can take--from scratch.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
As long as I get to be In a situation where I mumble "when the hunter becomes the hunted" under my breath before diving into action I'm happy in any SHTF situation.
Always remember to have some bondage gear to wear to mix in with the bad guys also.
As long as you can survive the first few mass death waves you will be okay.
But remember millions of people will have the same idea of bugging out into the woods.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
If people are dying by the millions, why let all that meat go to waste?
I can start making cannibal jerky, or I can let the worms and birds get fat.
Meat's meat and a man's gotta eat.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I'm just gonna feed em to the pigs I get at least I will not be eating human flesh directly.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think humans are extremely adaptable--IF.

I I have a friend who survived the break up of the Soviet Union. She talks about her people having it "easy "before 1990. They quickly learn how to scavenge food. Her family hunkered down in a suburb of Moscow. They made money by picking up cigarette butts, and rolling them into "new "cigarettes. She said most of the violence was at night; people were killed trying to steal from a neighboring garden. She is small, but tough in a way no American woman is that I've met. Her stance is that American women would get tough as fast and as hard as they'd need to.

Another friend lived through the collapse by living in the forests of Poland with a gang of other teenagers. She is the best archer I know. They lived on wild boar and what Americans used to call "pot luck."

The vast majority of Americans survived the Great Depression. The decade before, the "Roaring Twenties," was famous for its parties and vice. Americans snapped out of it within a year. Of course, most of them carried emotional scars. Just like my friends from Eastern Europe.

True, Some will turn their face to the wall and wait for death. But others will use the monent to grow up and grow a pair. The end of a civilization is not always the same thing as the end of its people. When the Roman empire collapsed, the people lived on in Italy. Their descendants are living there today
edit on 7-2-2018 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I think most this will be the reaction of most people, as most people aren't trained in self defense to know how to handle such an event. Hell would break loose at that point, One I hope that never takes place.
edit on 7-2-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I beg to differ. These skills aren't hard to learn, especially if you truly need them. I've taught kids basic survival skills for many years. I've lived off the grid in Alaska, and I actually gained weight. The only place I've been truly uncomfortable while out in the wild, was in the Bitterroot Mountains--that was in the late fall, early winter. Not something I'm going to repeat willingly...

To live, even thrive, in a survival situation is hard work, but it's fairly straight forward. Easier for a group, of course, but one person can, I have, do it with a little knowledge and work.

Many people would be pleasantly surprised at how much they do actually know. It's the patience that is sometime, most times, required. Most people can build a lean-to. Most, or many anyway, know the rudiments of starting a fire--what they may not know is just how long it can take--from scratch.

I gues people should count on your word. The majority of people have never lived like you have. Moste people dont have a clue.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
SurvivalDan's story sounds like a bit of Rambo fantasy to me. House clearing my arse.

I once read a true account of the siege of sarajevo and the guy who's story it was survived 3 years with no weapons, no electricity and water, His most valuable commodity to trade was the common cheap throwaway lighter.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You'd be amazed, I think, at how quickly people can learn to survive, given half a chance.

It really isn't hard to learn, it's just like anything else you learn, you have to want to. Or have the proper motivation...hunger, cold, and wet, are great motivators.

To survive takes knowledge, and, even more importantly, want to. If you choose to roll over and die, that's, of course, your business.

...I've been taught, and I've taught, I'm nothing even resembling a latter day mountain man...I like my comforts. Electricity and I are very close. So, too, refrigeration. It's not hard to do without, if you're willing to learn, and to be taught.

Learning to preserve food. Learning to build and repair simple tools. Learning to hunt, fish, and gather. With those, with even half a chance, you'd do fine. Certain conditions, of course, you've no chance, except perhaps to get out of the way.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: GuidedKill

I've gone off grid for months in the mountains in Idaho and been on survival trips in my youth in both the mountains and deserts of Utah and I'd rather be in the desert than the swamp.

There is food and water in the wetlands.
I came close to dying of dehydration in the mountains of Utah.
It is a beautiful desert, but I had no success at finding water.
What was your trick?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join