It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever been to a concert to see one act and were surprised when another showed up as well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
either just showed up or was a special guest but as kind of a hush hush thing so the audience didnt know till it happened.

i have never been to one where it was unannounced. i went to see zappa plays zappa twice and i went to specific shows cause steve vai was at both, nappy brock was at one and terry bozzio as at one.

there are some that just happen and it is magic.

this is les claypool with #ing stanley clarke. clarke did not just show up but the fans got a treat when les calls him out and he comes out playing one of les's bass.

i have no video of this but jack white was doing a concert many years back and apparently bob dylan just showed up and they played together.

the one that really stands out is trey anastasio and santana from 03.

so trey was doing an anastasio band show and the word i hear is santana just showed up and it kind of turned into the anastasio/santana show.
they released a dvd called live at the warfield and it is amazing. i think the dvd is on moratorium so you cant buy it but most of it is on youtube. trust me when i say this is some of the most fantastic improvised guitar conversations you will ever hear.

can you think of any?

im not talking like when elton john and billy joel tour their duel pianos for $500 a ticket. i mean when the fans have no idea what s about to happen and they are in the middle of a magic moment.

edit on 4-2-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Here you go.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
More than once.
Fantomas is a good one to catch live.
They pull in some good opening acts.
Estradasphere, Secret Chiefs 3, Melt Banana and The Locust to name a few that blew my socks off.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

gonna have to scope those out cause i have not heard of any of them.

will get back to ya

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   

No surprise act but years ago I went to "fields of rock". the main act was Metallica and they were only gonna play a couple of songs because the event would end at 21:00.

After they played their final songs and people started leaving the field they continued playing and ended up playing the entire Master of puppets album untill 23:00

That was pretty sweet.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Yes.

In the late 70s; Journey and Santana used to rock Winterland, New Years all nighters.

One time the lead guitarist for Journey Neil Schon also played with Santana, we were front center stage for that.

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I saw Sir Paul at MAG 2017 and the Boss came up

Seeing those two sing a Beatles song was really cool

edit on 4-2-2018 by SocratesJohnson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
My experience was not epic but fun. Phish - Clifford Ball, Ben and Jerry of ice cream fame popped up on stage to help sing "Brother."

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
More than once.
Fantomas is a good one to catch live.
They pull in some good opening acts.
Estradasphere, Secret Chiefs 3, Melt Banana and The Locust to name a few that blew my socks off.

Sorry im off topic but...

I saw Secret Chiefs 3 open up for Les Claypool in Nashville years ago. They were insanely awesome!

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
When I saw Bruce Springsteen in Wrigley Field in 2012, Eddie Vedder and Tom Morello were surprise guests.

new topics

top topics

join