It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three of Rick Gates Lawyers Just Abruptly Quit — Plea Deal Coming?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just in within the last half hour from Politico.

Lawyers for Rick Gates withdraw from Russia case

Lawyers Shanlon Wu, Walter Mack and Annemarie McAvoy said in a two-page motion that they would explain the reasons for their abrupt move in documents filed under seal with the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.

“The document speaks for itself,” McAvoy told POLITICO, declining further comment.

No other details. Their reasons for withdrawing were contained in a document filed under seal. It may have something to do with a request filed a few months ago by Mueller's team.

Mueller Asks Judge Whether Rick Gates Attorney Has Conflict

Rick Gates, the political consultant accused of money laundering with Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman, has a longstanding personal and business relationship with a California man accused of fraud, prosecutors said.

That man, Steven Brown, is represented by one of the lawyers defending Gates against money laundering and conspiracy charges -- a potential conflict of interest since one may have to testify against the other, according to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office. Prosecutors asked a judge to review whether attorney Walter Mack can represent both Gates and Brown, who was charged in New York last year with defrauding investors in feature and documentary films.

Of course, it may not have anything to do with that. There's been no announcement so far of any new representation. There is one lawyer who is apparently still on the case and his particular area of expertise had already led to speculation last week that Gates was negotiating a deal.

Former Trump campaign aide hires lawyer known for navigating high-profile scandals

Rick Gates, an embattled former campaign aide to President Trump, has added a veteran Washington defense attorney to his legal team to oversee discussions with the special counsel investigating possible collusion with Russia.

The lawyer, Thomas Green, is an expert white-collar defense attorney with a long track record of negotiating plea deals with federal prosecutors.

+18 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I’m leaning more towards don’t need a lawyer when charges are going to be dropped..

Poisonous trees my friend.

edit on 1-2-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Seems like you are working overtime at the moment, but you won't deflect from the memo regardless of your flurry of threads.
I suspect the lawyers have quit because they are no longer needed.
Mueller is done, as is the whole Russia scam.
The Obama administration used govt power to spy on Trump's campaign in order to try and rig the election and then destroy the incoming administration with propaganda.
SNIP
edit on 1/2/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/1/2018 by Blaine91555 because: snipped insult

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Seems like you are working overtime at the moment.
The Obama administration used govt power to spy on Trump's campaign in order to try and rig the election and then destroy the opposition party in power.

Last attempt at billable hours before the whole circus packs up and heads out of town.

#MAGA

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Finally the witch-hunt is winding down.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Why would the document be filed under seal if Mueller was through with him?

Pardon my ignorance.

Edit to add... To Anti: If it is conflict of interest, I am wondering why DWS's brother is still representing the Awans'.
edit on 1-2-2018 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2018 by liveandlearn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

I’m leaning more towards don’t need a lawyer when charges are going to be dropped..

Except that makes absolutely no sense. His primary lawyers wouldn't quit prior to charges being dropped first off. That's absurd on its face.

Secondly, there's no fruit of the poisonous tree here. Even if you accept at face value the speculation about accusations in the dodgy memo, what does the FISA warrant for Carter Page have to do with Rick Gates? You see, the way it *actually* works is that if the warrant is tossed out, evidence obtained via the warrant is the "fruit of the poisonous tree."

What evidence critical to the Gates prosecution would be coming from a Carter Page FISA warrant?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wow.....

Where's the memo?

Already got caught working with foreign agents and attempted to cover it up, actively trying to dismantle the FBI, why not jeopardize national security as well....

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Seems like you are working overtime at the moment, but you won't deflect from the memo regardless of your flurry of threads.
The Obama administration used govt power to spy on Trump's campaign in order to try and rig the election and then destroy the incoming administration with propaganda.
You were party to this corruption - hopefully unwittingly.

Lmao. If you could only hear yourself. "You were party to this corruption" — ROFLMAO. You know what you should do? You should write all this into a memo and send it to somebody!

Yawn.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Except that makes absolutely no sense. His primary lawyers wouldn't quit prior to charges being dropped first off. That's absurd on its face.

Secondly, there's no fruit of the poisonous tree here. Even if you accept at face value the speculation about accusations in the dodgy memo, what does the FISA warrant for Carter Page have to do with Rick Gates? You see, the way it *actually* works is that if the warrant is tossed out, evidence obtained via the warrant is the "fruit of the poisonous tree."

What evidence critical to the Gates prosecution would be coming from a Carter Page FISA warrant?

I agree with you on general.

However, if strzok or other agents are shown to have acted in an unlawful manner, a good lawyer will try to argue that should warrant all charges being thrown out.

That is one of the things I am worried about, because it seems to me that there is plenty of evidence to charge gates and manafort, and it would be a shame if unlawful acts by investigators jeopardized that.
edit on 1-2-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
More "Sunny Days" for the Swamp.

😎

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This is barely the beginning, notice how many republicans are suddenly "retiring".

K~

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I agree with you on general.

However, if strzok or other agents are shown to have acted in an unlawful manner, a good lawyer will try to argue that should warrant all charges being thrown out.

That is one of the things I am worried about, because it seems to me that there is plenty of evidence to charge hated and manafort, and it would be a shame if unlawful acts by investigators jeopardized that.

Exaclty!! The FBI is worried that once any agent has been shown to be crooked everything they ever worked on now comes into question.

Being these cases are intertwined, evidence gathered on anyone that came from or related to the tainted FISA warrant can easily be thrown out. What else does mueller have at that point?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

Yeah I don't think so.
You heard Paul Ryan, this memo won't effect the special counsel.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: GuidedKill

Yeah I don't think so.
You heard Paul Ryan, this memo won't effect the special counsel.

Meaning they won’t stop the special councils Investigation...

Last time I checked Paul Ryan is not a judge and won’t be making the decision’s when it comes to tainted evidence and if it’s thrown out.

Once again you’re making yourself look silly.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Is this the same Rick Gates who was charged with Manafort in series of criminal allegations related to their lobbying for a pro-Russia government of Ukraine, but nothing in relation to President Trump or the campaign?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
At least the witch hunt is coming to a conclusion.

Lets see, as was said, what comes of this all.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I wonder what the compelling reason is.

Maybe Gates fired them?

Maybe the document shows that Gates is an 'implant.' *xuenchen style*

Regardless, I do not believe that a defense attorney would get approval to withdraw voluntarily because they didn't think they could win the case. It has to be a compelling reason.

Nutshell: We need more info!

edit on 2/1/2018 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Hey Anti have you read the Atlantic article yet, good synopses of Manaforts & Gates dirty dealings.

The Plot Against America

Decades before he ran the Trump campaign, Paul Manafort’s pursuit of foreign cash and shady deals laid the groundwork for the corruption of Washington.

www.theatlantic.com...

K~

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Is this the same Rick Gates who was charged with Manafort in series of criminal allegations related to their lobbying for a pro-Russia government of Ukraine, but nothing in relation to President Trump or the campaign?

Yeah what a surprise eh

🤓

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join