It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grenade launcher donated to a goodwill store

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It is possible that the launcher itself is an Airsoft accessory:
Evike

It shoots multiple Airsoft plastic pellets simultaneously.
It may just be a toy.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Pics or it din--- Oh...

M203

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Definitely not a toy. The M203 grenade launcher is slung beneath the Us infantry mans issue rifle.

googled
edit on 1-2-2018 by intrptr because: changed link

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You can buy them for airsoft I've seen them used at airsoft places over here in YouTube channels.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Definitely not a toy. The M203 grenade launcher is slung beneath the Us infantry mans issue rifle.

googled

Have you looked at the Airsoft version of the M203? The 'grenade' round that is pictured in the police photo has multiple hole in the end.... as found in the Airsoft version of a 40mm grenade.... that shoots Airsoft pellets.
Show me an actual 40mm grenade round that has holes in the tip for shooting Airsoft pellets.
edit on b000000282018-02-01T09:23:44-06:0009America/ChicagoThu, 01 Feb 2018 09:23:44 -0600900000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Show me an actual 40mm grenade round that has holes in the tip for shooting Airsoft pellets.

Thanks I see the holes now. I thought that was a crimp. I din know Airsoft also made 'Replica' M203's.

Is it all plastic?

edit on 1-2-2018 by intrptr because: change

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

"Grenade launchers" that are destructive devices, are NFA (illegal without proper tax stamp) and therefore require obtaining the $200 NFA tax stamp via BATFE. "Flare signaling devices" can also be "grenade launchers" but not destructive devices. For example, they make several pyrotechnic charges and smoke signaling devices in 37mm/40mm. If this is the case, and it isn't a registered destructive device via NFA nor unlawfully loaded with explosive/chemical/baton impact/etc projectiles then it is perfectly legal.

Leaving it loaded may be some type of fire code violation or negligence (if someone were injured/killed).

In this case, I highly doubt it were a true 40mm grenade launcher destructive device or a 37mm grenade launcher destructive device (less usual)

It is technically correct to call it a grenade launcher (like ST's launchers, as a good example) because it is capable of firing explosive projectiles but simply does not for legal reasons until said flare gun is registered as a destructive device. This is semantics of course, so the news article isn't lying. But may certainly be sensationalizing it.

Clearly plastic lifeboat flare guns are not candidates for DD "conversion" (semantic conversion, tax stamp changes the designation) unlike spike's tactical havoc grenade launchers. Like I said, the "flare launchers non DD" are indeed the real thing, and simply lack the legal designation of DD.

Why would someone donateo one of these, out of curiosity
Some of them are not cheap

edit on 2/1/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

airsoft m203
This one seems to be metal and plastic I'm. Guessing you can get various materials depending on how much you're willing to pay?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Is it all plastic?

I don't know. I have never been into Airsoft.

What gets me is that the cops are saying that they disposed of the round in a 'Hazmat Locker'. Wouldn't that be storage as opposed to 'disposal' ?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Thanks I see the holes now. I thought that was a crimp. I din know Airsoft also made 'Replica' M203's.

Is it all plastic?

I thought it was a crimp on the end when I first looked at the photo. But I couldn't find any round that is crimped at the end, even military buckshot APERS rounds have a plastic cup over the end of the shot cup.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Tear gas grenade maybe? Would they have holes in for dispersal?

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woody510

Tear gas grenade maybe? Would they have holes in for dispersal?

The only ones that I have found with holes are Airsoft.
The number of holes differ on various ones, and governs how many Airsoft pellets are fired each time.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Is it all plastic?

I don't know. I have never been into Airsoft.

What gets me is that the cops are saying that they disposed of the round in a 'Hazmat Locker'. Wouldn't that be storage as opposed to 'disposal' ?

Hazardous waste must be stored until it can be shipped to a hazardous waste disposal site via a hazardous waste hauler. Technically it is in the process of being disposed, but because the contents are flamable they must be stored in a locker which is designed to halt the spread of fire and prevent the possibility of ignition. This is SOP when dealing with flamable hazardous waste.

So yes it is stored, but in a state that it is for disposal, think of it like some trash in your kitchen trash can, you call it disposed, but its technically being stored in your can... then when the garbage service takes it to the dump the process is complete.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Is it all plastic?

I thought it was a crimp on the end when I first looked at the photo. But I couldn't find any round that is crimped at the end, even military buckshot APERS rounds have a plastic cup over the end of the shot cup.

I remember those...

So the clams it was an actual destructive device in the press were 'misleading'. Worked on me too, for a moment. Thanks ATS.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabz228

I believe airsoft 203 rounds are 'gas' filled, probably with compressed air.

The hazmat thing was for show.

In a year these will be illegal to own too.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Awesome video. What dummies those 'targets' were.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Absolutely intrptr

They are correct that it is a "grenade launcher" but clearly not a DD and did not have NFA projectile

It is pretty damned irresponsible to leave a flammable or potentially injurious projectile loaded, or to donate the launcher in the first place (I'm sure it was a mistake, they are worth a few 100) especially the ST havoc launchers

40mm is even more costly. But I believe this to be 37mm

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Deputies say they disposed of the active grenade in a Hazmat locker, and the launcher was stored in the agency's property room.

This is entirely dishonest, however.

The projectile was not a registered DD, therefore is not a "grenade" but rather a "pyrotechnic signaling charge/salute" non-DD. A grenade launcher is perfectly legal, but to shoot NFA ammo it has to be registered DD

A tax stamp is required for each NFA projectile, which is a very expensive overhead to an already costly round.

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Well if it compressed air that would also be processed as hazardous waste as well.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join