It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of Union Address Debunked - Can you debunk the debunk?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I don't usually post political threads but I wondered if any Trump gurus could counter these criticisms from the BBC:

1. 'Since the election, we have created 2.4 million new jobs, including 200,000 new jobs in manufacturing alone'

Counting the figures from November 2016 onwards (Mr Trump won on 8 November and took office on 20 January), the US economy has added 2.37m jobs.
According to the Bureau for Labor Statistics, 196,000 manufacturing jobs were added in 2017.
The growth in jobs began before Mr Trump took office. The US economy hasn't had a monthly loss of jobs since September 2010.

2. 'African-American unemployment stands at the lowest rate ever recorded, and Hispanic American unemployment has also reached the lowest levels in history'

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has measured black or African American unemployment since 1972.
The rate in December was 6.8% - the lowest ever (the peak was over 20% in 1982/83).
The BLS has also measured Hispanic or Latino unemployment since 1973. It too is at a record low - 4.9%.
Both rates remain above the figures for white (3.7%) and Asian (2.5%) unemployment.
And, in general, the rates mirror the fall in unemployment overall - which began under President Obama

3. 'We enacted the biggest tax cuts and reform in American history'

Before Christmas, corporation tax was reduced from 35 to 21%.
Individual taxes were also cut for all groups (see image). But are they the biggest cuts in American history?
The fact-checking site Politifact says not.
Using Treasury statistics, it says at least three tax cuts - passed in 2013 and 2010 under President Obama, and in 1981 under President Reagan - were bigger in dollar terms.
In terms of percentage of GDP, six other tax bills were forecast to have a bigger impact

4. 'Since we passed tax cuts, roughly three million workers have already gotten tax cut bonuses - many of them thousands of dollars per worker'

After the corporation tax cut was announced, a number of firms announced bonuses for staff.
For example: Disney announced a one-time bonus of $1000 for 125,000 staff. Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said 60,000 employees would get an extra $2,000.
The lobbying group Americans for Tax Reform (ATR) - which campaigns for simpler and lower taxes - has kept a tally of all bonuses.
It says 285 firms have announced pay raises, bonuses or other improved benefits - which the firms attribute to the tax cuts. ATR says at least three million workers will benefit.
It's impossible to know how companies would have acted without the tax cuts - and how many are crediting the Republicans for something they already planned.

5. 'We have eliminated more regulations in our first year than any administration in history
According to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, the Trump administration has withdrawn or delayed 1,579 regulations (of those, 635 were withdrawn entirely).

A year ago, Mr Trump signed an Executive Order that said for every regulation created, two must be withdrawn.
In December, he said that - in fact - 22 regulations had been eliminated for every one created.
Comparable records only go back to 1995.
The Washington Post said that, in their first year in office, George W Bush eliminated 181 regulations, while Barack Obama eliminated 156.

6. 'I'm proud to report that the coalition to defeat ISIS has liberated almost 100% of the territory once held by these killers in Iraq and Syria'
On 1 January, Lt Gen Paul E Funk II, commanding general of the coalition, said "more than 98% of the land once claimed by the terrorist group has been returned to the people".

As President Trump acknowledges, the US is not the only country fighting against the Islamic State group. The coalition's website lists 74 partners, from Albania to the UAE.
It's also important to note that IS was losing territory before President Trump took office.
The coalition was formed in September 2014. Last January, President Obama said IS had lost 40% of its territory in Iraq, and 10% in Syria

Ignore number 7, it' petty.

Is Trump bending the truth or are the BBC up to their usual tricks?
Source
edit on 31-1-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Most of these 'debunkings' support his claims, or rather, it is only the 3rd one - the one about tax cuts - that is an actual debunk.

And to that one I say .. it probably depends on how you measure it. I bet there is sim angling that makes it at least half true. There almost always is when dealing with something so complex.
edit on 31-1-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I didn't even waste my time watching his address. When the media said he was going to speak about "unity" that pretty much killed it for me. Trump has proven during his first year in office he's divisive, lol. He has shown himself to have "zero" credibility, so why should I believe anything he says in his State of the Union Address?

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

I didn't even waste my time watching his address. When the media said he was going to speak about "unity" that pretty much killed it for me. Trump has proven during his first year in office he's divisive, lol. He has shown himself to have "zero" credibility, so why should I believe anything he says in his State of the Union Address?

You really have a completely closed off mind on this issue.

It was a good speech. It was fun watching the various groups.

P

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I didn't even waste my time watching his address ... He has shown himself to have "zero" credibility, so why should I believe anything he says in his State of the Union Address?

You shouldn't necessarily believe him, but you should watch his address to see what he actually says instead of having the media repeat whatever parts they favor for repeating with whatever level of contextualising they want.

Be it Fox News or CNN, from an outside perspective, American media is ridiculously partisan.

edit on 31-1-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

1. Rounding error's.
2. Quit trying to credit obama with what happens under trump's watch, inflation will be the only thing that's his fault.
3. It's not a debunk because there's not enough data to debunk it. They'd have to ask trump what he means by the biggest, only then could they debunk that.
4. Neither, neither
5. Not a debunk
6. Not a debunk

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Immediately after the SOTU address my local and trustworthy news source pretty much confirmed almost every fact that Trump stated, however Trump did exaggerate on the biggest tax cuts.

I was amazed how grounded Trumps speech was, yeah sure he had speech writers but he didn't fly of on a tangent as we would expect, he handled himself well.
edit on 31-1-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

It confirmed everything he said. Nothing was debunked.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Politics is the art of speaking without saying anything.

There, debunked.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 06:52 AM
link   

This really says it all about the left!

Fingers in ears, and chanting "NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH NUH..."... all in unison.

Didn't even watch yet you have a comment. In other words, don't care about FACTS, your opinion will not be swayed regardless.

Recommendation - It's windy out, pull the chin strap of your vagina hat under your chin (so it doesn't blow away) while you go outside and scream at the sky.

It's okay...we'll wait.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

The left? The people, who don't waste their time with hanging at the lips of an oligarchs tool, are actual leftists?

That's a new one, I guess they are $hillarys fanfares as well? And then there's Trumpets! Oh... an orchestra united!

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

How would you rather I term them? ...

That extremist radical group of America hating Americans, otherwise known as 'Democrats', the treasonous terrorist group so clearly in the minority that not even CNN can deny it anymore all while claiming the exact opposite. A group of who would just as soon stab themselves in the face with a screwdriver as acknowledge Trump as President of the United States, and who would seek to promote illegals, gang bangers, murderers and thieves over hard working Americans????

Is that phraseology more suitable to you?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I didn't even waste my time watching his address. When the media said he was going to speak about "unity" that pretty much killed it for me.

You refuse to listen to the president when he's going to be talking about unity? Does the fact that he's talking about unity cause some sort of cognitive dissonance that challenges your desire for him to actually be some kind of evil, hateful racist, just to confirm whatever media-enforced false beliefs you have? Let me guess, you're one of those people who thinks he "refuses to condemn racism".

Trump has proven during his first year in office he's divisive, lol.

How? Better yet, how would you even know, since you refuse to actually listen to him? Well, here's a shocker for ya:

why should I believe anything he says in his State of the Union Address?

Why should you believe anything the corporate paid-for-and-politically-biased MSM says?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I can help.

I will be starting a rental company for emergencies like this.

Portable safe spaces with inflatable unicorns, lots of padding on all surfaces (because I know your delicate),
and free ear plugs & sleeping masks.

These are painful times for some of you- I am here to help.

On-site delivery included
Just 199.99$
Call 1-426-288-8478 (iambutthrt)

edit on 31-1-2018 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-1-2018 by Hewhowaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Hyperboles and appeals to emotion as a follow-up for "your" stupid lables. Anything of substance maybe?

Just say that you can't stand criticism cuz ... feelings?

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
All i read, was a bunch of semantical BS from someone writing a script that doesn't like the current US president.

While every point made during the speech was factual, it seems BBC went out of their way to produce either completely irrelevant information to the topic being discussed to attempt to discredit the statement, or partially attributed policies from several years ago with what's happening today, basically claiming that this past year has had zero effect on the world, whatsoever. Not to mention adding some "what-if" scenario, when they know damn well, as they went back and looked at some historical data on their other talking points, that this hypothetical scenario (tax breaks and bonuses) would NOT have been the case without the tax reform bill.

Just more clever slight of hand.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I didn't even waste my time watching his address. When the media said he was going to speak about "unity" that pretty much killed it for me. Trump has proven during his first year in office he's divisive, lol.

As you point that finger at Trump, four more at pointing back at you.

Trump cannot be "divisive" all by himself... it takes someone else to decide to be just as "divisive" in kind. Trump cannot make you turn your back on him, your fellow Americans, and the nation as a whole. That's your choice to play that game. No matter what Trump does or doesn't do. If you really wanted unity, then you would have been happy to respond in kind and at least give Trump a chance.

He has shown himself to have "zero" credibility, so why should I believe anything he says in his State of the Union Address?

Actually, as the DOJ and FBI crumble around us, Trump's credibility is being proven daily. Far more than his adversaries who are beginning to fall like dominos...

I haven't been a Trump supporter, and Dems had every opportunity to prove just how awful Trump is to me... or even to give me something better to support... but they have failed miserably. Instead, from all appearances, Trump is doing what I thought would never be done. He's cleaning out the corrupt and criminal critters in DC. I'm not a fan yet. I have no doubt that there are Pubs just as guilty as Dems, so a real draining of the swamp will necessarily include some Pubs, and I haven't seen that yet. So Trump still has much to prove to me. But it's a damn good start.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

All the BBC is saying is Trump is right, but we don't want to admit it so how can we take away as much as possible from his accomplishments since we have to admit he's right.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
lol Rounding is hard

math is hard

Trump is the grand wizard of whites.

posted on Jan, 31 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Why would I believe a pathological liar?
How many times does he have to proclaim he wants bipartisan unity, but continues to attack democrats every chance he gets? Attacking minorities and immigrants, firing people who don't agree with him, and name calling people he doesn't like sure is not a recipe for unity! You Trump supporters can continue to point your fingers at the media, but none of you can ever explain the supposed "false media" that has proven time and time again with cold hard recorded videos of Trump contradicting himself and lying.

Law enforcement love catching criminals in the act with videos because videos don't lie and it's cold hard evidence. Yet videos of Trump don't fall into the same category for some reason. Explain that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join