It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Found a "COPY"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't know what else should I call it. If you look at the lower right it seems to have the word "COPY" (copy of what???), but could be "OOPY"

The other face has letters too, but can't tell what it says, only recognized the letters "....PVS....".

I got so exited when I found it. Before I cleaned it, it looked like a Spanish Real.

I really need you my friends, help my find out what is this, a coin or a medallion? It's the size of a quarter by the way.

Whatever is it, it's beautiful.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Haha, I have one of those somewhere, or similar. When I was a kid I found it with my grandmother's coin collection, and was excited until I noticed the very small print that said "copy."

Boy, was I disappointed.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Well, I'd love to have a Spanish Real but maybe this is even more rare and hard to find.

I wish I could have more details anyway. Copy of what, age...., you know.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

What makes yours different from mine is yours has "COPY" stamped as part of the mint; mine was stamped in very fine print. I'll see if I can find it.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Don't panic yet.
Some copy/reproductions even old ones can have value.
Very Cool Find!

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Any idea of the material it is made from?

Looks like brass in a few of your pics.

Love love love your finds.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

What makes yours different from mine is yours has "COPY" stamped as part of the mint; mine was stamped in very fine print. I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah, I want to see your "COPY". Anyway, my "COPY" is cooler because I dug it, I didn't take it from my grandma. Hahaha !

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Yup, looks like a copy. I could make thousands of them, cast in pewter...

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Any idea of the material it is made from?

Looks like brass in a few of your pics.

Love love love your finds.

Thank you.

No idea, maybe it's made of a sort of alloy. It's about the size and weight of a quarter. I checked it in my digital scale, it's 5.1 grams.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It was printed on there as a memorable symbol to the original. If you take a magnet to it, this will tell you the authenticity a little more. It's neat looking.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

No, no it's really old :"Christo omnino nihil praeponant" stands for"Let them prefer nothing whatsoever to Christ"

COnP - now you only have to figure out what the Y stands for!

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
It was printed on there as a memorable symbol to the original. If you take a magnet to it, this will tell you the authenticity a little more. It's neat looking.

Just tested, the magnet didn't grab it.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MindBodySpiritComplex

No, no it's really old :"Christo omnino nihil praeponant" stands for"Let them prefer nothing whatsoever to Christ"

Yahweh!

Christo omnino nihil praeponant Yahweh

COnPY
COPY

There riddle solved, coin extremely valuable, NEXT!

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Looks like a replica Spanish real, possibly from the reign of Philip II.

ETA:

A replica of a Philip II-era Spanish real, not a centuries old replica

edit on 2018-1-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

A way to test for gold using a non coated ceramic pot.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Could be a cinematic prop. Think of all the pirate movies and the treasure chests filled with coins just like that. There has to be hundreds of thousands floating around. But you never know. Take it to a coin dealer to find out.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here is mine. This one is real.

I have a Whites Eagle Spectrum by the way..

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Yahweh!

Christo omnino nihil praeponant Yahweh

COnPY
COPY

There riddle solved, coin extremely valuable, NEXT!

So you certified it as an original "COPY"

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Also, this Coin World - Amendments extend enforcement scope of Hobby Protection Act:

Clear Copies

The Hobby Protection Act was signed into law on Nov. 29, 1973, by President Nixon. At its core was a requirement that manufacturers and importers plainly mark numismatic items with the word COPY and clearly mark imitation political items with the calendar year when the items were manufactured. The marking is supposed to be plain and permanent.

These markings were clarified in 1975, and in 1988 the Federal Trade Commission amended its rules to provide additional guidance on the minimum size of letters for the word COPY as a proportion of the diameter of coin reproductions.

A review of the rules in 2004 did not yield any changes, with the Federal Trade Commission clarifying that it did not have authority under the existing Hobby Protection Act to expand the rules to better protect consumers. The signing of the Collectible Coin Protection Act into law in December 2014 provided the Federal Trade Commission with the tools that it needed.

edit on 2018-1-28 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could be a cinematic prop. Think of all the pirate movies and the treasure chests filled with coins just like that. There has to be hundreds of thousands floating around. But you never know. Take it to a coin dealer to find out.

Well, the park where I found it was created in the 1800, I wanted to go hunt there for a long time. It's well preserved and I think nobody dug it before. I'll come back soon, I covered only like 25% of the area. I can feel it, there is more stuff underground.
edit on 28-1-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join