It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White conservative men filing HR complaints against diversity talk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I have mentioned a few times in passing that the farther you stretch a rubber band, the more it hurts when it snaps back. This one is going to leave a mark.

White conservative men at Goggle are filing HR complaints about diversity talk. The language of diversity, as used by HR departments, is threatening and excluding. And the target is conservative males. And its not just Google. Colleges are offering classes in de-masculinity because being masculine, even for a young healthy male, is wrong and threatening to non-masculine types.

Imagine being an older conservative white male in the workplace in todays world. How secure would you feel? Been there - done that. It sucks. Every day you walk on eggshells and hope some whiny fresh out of college entitlement seeker doesn't run to HR feeling "intimidated" by your seniority.

The Wired story says conservatives at Google are engaging in conversations about diversity and then complaining to HR that the comments from their colleagues are offensive to white men and/or conservatives. In effect, these employees are using Google's own HR policies against it to prove a point.

link

I think its about time someone stood up for white conservative men.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

It's everyone's right, if they wish, to talk to HR about anything that makes them feel uncomfortable? Is that what you are saying? So PC of you.

Also, let me rephrase your comment:

"some whiny fresh out of college entitlement seeker doesn't run to HR feeling "intimidated" by your seniority."

Or some whiny old guy entitlement seeker who thinks he knows everything doesn't run to HR feeling intimidated by your youth.

+33 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   
You two made me realise I gotta become my own boss.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

Turnabout is fair play.

Someone who comes to work shouldn't expect to be running the joint right away. That is earned through years of hard work. There is a reason why the people in management are there, and it often has next to nothing to do with what they are beyond the fact they've been there, done that for years and have experience, something no one fresh out of college actually has yet.

If they happen to be "old, white males," then happen to be old, white males. It is not a sign of the oppressive patriarchy, but sign they got hired years before you did and understand what they're doing a lot better than you.

There is no real reason to complain to HR over that. It's not a lack of diversity, unless you're complaining about lack of inexperience at the top.

+31 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Anyone here think it would fly if a company HR department held a diversity seminar telling the attendees that femininity must be downplayed in the workplace?

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

The various diversity/sensitivity trainings I have encountered have been jokes and total wastes of time. Watch someone recite a powerpoint and then have zero meaningful discussions afterwards. They make money for the presenters and have no impact on how things are.

Even worse, one of the ones my son's high school had to go through they had the kids anonymously comment on the big screen in front of everyone and the posts we're not what the presenters wished. I made a thread about it here.

Diversity talk at my sons school.

edit on 28-1-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Imagine being an older conservative white male in the workplace in todays world.

I don't know, probably felt like the people that were excluding from the same jobs? the same group that are pushing for diversity.

Because you know, being surrounded by conservative white men has always been great for minorities and women. i hear the pay is good.
edit on 28-1-2018 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

Same here. Harassment settlements can be huge. Making sure everyone is "trained" simply means the company now has another legal base covered. I see it as a pure liability play, nothing more.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

lol, pooor white conservative men! Bout time someone stood up for them!

LMAO!

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The best way to make up for suppression over the years is to suppress someone.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 08:58 AM
link   
See? This is why I liked sports. You earned what you got, especially in single person event sports. If I went out on the track and won the race, no one could whine about it because I had done it and there was no denying it.

It didn't matter what color or gender I was or wasn't. I. Won. The. Race. On that day, at that time, in that race, I was better than everyone else on the track. Period. Stop. End of sentence.

If gets less clear in the workplace, so people can point to Tim in the corner office and whine about how he's only there because he's older and white. Or they can look at Sally Sue at the secretary desk and claim she's only sitting there because she's not a man.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

lol, pooor white conservative men! Bout time someone stood up for them!

LMAO!

Yes.
Punish someone based on race and sex.
Yeah, that's fair.

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Nothing says freedom like oppressing the white man!

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I hope this comment isn't removed because I know it's not going to be everyones cup of tea but here goes:

Currently there is a clear idea of hating on any white guy whether he is old or young. Women blame all men (yes even those who want to stand on their side) Black people want to blame white people for slave labour and institutionalised racism. Gay people are blaming straight white men for pretty much anything they find offensive. Trans people are blaming mostly white men for their issues and you be damn sure not to dare question any of it because you'll be torn to bits by the appeasing media. We, yes WE are clearly now going to be the thing that's blamed for the worlds ailments whether you had a hand in it or not it's your fault.

THIS HAS TO CHANGE.

The white men who are going to HR have a damn right to go and they should. If it happened where I worked, where I felt I was being pushed out of something because I was a white guy or a guy or straight then I'd be P-Oed and demanding that it stops. I'm tired of people who aren't white or straight etc. shouting about people not having a right to be offended unless you're not a white male and again this needs to stop.

Yes you can put some of it down to being aged. Okay I'll give you that but we are moving closer and closer to a point where it'll be white men through one door and the rest of the world the other. Remember when black people and women were against being treated differently for their gender or skin colour? How comes it's okay to do it if it's a white person. And before we hear the same tired excuse of "it's the white persons turn" then don't bother replying it's a pointless debate with someone who goes there.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Wait...Usually when we read a news story like this, we are told the people complaining need to man-up and stop being a bunch of entitled snowflakes.

Now that it is white conservative males in this position, people are concerned and we need to stand up against these injustices?

I think we need to find some consistency in our thinking before we can ever come to reasonable solutions.
edit on 28-1-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

So you are for racial inequality.

Uh, Okay.

This is awkward.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Soo... What are they expecting?

For white men to hold themselves back, so that underachievers can catch up?

No wonder they've made a point of it. Done it in a fairly intelligent and peaceful way, too.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Either everyone can complain about it or no one can. Which way should it be? If they can complain that white men only have what they have because they are white men, then white men can complain that everyone is complaining about them being who and what they are how that is creating hostile conditions for them.

Don't you think blacks had a valid complaint when everyone complained about them being who and what they were prior to the Civil Rights Era, so much so that they actively discriminated against them?

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So you are for racial inequality.

Uh, Okay.

This is awkward.

Indeed, it is awkward. I said nothing that would indicate such a position, but somehow your mind came to that conclusion.

My post was about consistency in thinking and approach on issues such as these.

But I suppose I should not be surprised you interpreted that as a reason to throw the race card.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The answer to racism and discrimination is not racism and discrimination.

Reasonable people understand this.

Unfortunately, reasonable people don't sell add space or generate page views and clicks. So the loud crazy voices get their voices amplified.

Reasonable people on both sides need to hold their respective media outlets accountable and take back the discussion from the loons.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join