It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Introduces Bill to Criminalize Plastic Straws, $1k fine and Jail time!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
In a new fit of madness, the Democratic majority leader in California's lower house wants to criminalize plastic drinking straws.

He has introduced a bill to stop restaurants from giving customers straws with their drinks, with harsh penalties for waitstaff for not complying: six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000. A customer must request a straw. Unrequested straws lead to jail!

It is one thing to only offer straws when they are requested by a customer. Not offering straws to people who simply set them aside would probably save restaurants money and have a lesser impact on the environment. To criminalize it is just a nanny state going to far.

What happens when a waitperson delivers a requested straw to the wrong table? Are there going to be straw delivery police, who simply sit around and wait for an unrequested straw to a hit a table so the waitperson can then be carted off to jail?

Reason.com

Bill

+51 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Not just crazy but California crazy!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have a hard time believing this is real, even though I'm looking right at it.

they've gone completely off the deep end over there.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
But what if the worker who forces a straw on a unwitting customer is an illegal immigrant?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   

We really just need to allow California to secede from the US.... They are batsh*t crazy....

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
But what if the worker who forces a straw on a unwitting customer is an illegal immigrant?

Then the tax paying legal citizens foot the bill, no doubt.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

These same retards are arguing over whether or not to label coffee as cancer causing. Because a chemical in coffee, which is also present in breads and in a greater amount, has been shown to cause cancer.

Although the amount in coffee is far, far, far below the risk range, since people may drink multiple cups of coffee a day, they seem to find it reasonable to label the product as carcinogenic.

It is so stupid that I had to rewind the news segment to make sure I was hearing it right.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I'm trying to imagine the jail cell conversation:

Bad guy #1: So what ya in for homie?
Bad guy #2: Shot up a gasolinera.
Bad guy #1: And you?
Bad guy #3: Bank robbery, got caught.
Bad guy #1: What about you son?
Bad guy barista: ...straw...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What manly man actually uses a straw? The imagery is just too graphic.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here ya go....a judge decides if coffee is carcinogenic enough to require public notice:

www.sandiegouniontribune.com...

Because the judge is obviously qualified to make such a determination.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Would the Judge be impressed if I told him he could blow through it out his ass?

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Put it this way...

In California, some cities and counties actually force you to recycle. If your recycling can is empty, you get fined.

Secondly, if you leave a vehicle on your property for more than 14 days, it will be towed.

Had a buddy in Wanut Creek, Ca. go on vacation and he parked his truck in his driveway which was about 200' from his gate no less. They came through his gate and dragged his truck off his property leaving skidmarks all the way out!! He was absolutely livid and is still fighting a lawsuit over it.

California is beautiful, but completely ran by idealistic "do-gooders" who decide what's best for everything and everyone irregardless of public opinion.
The residents simply take it because they are wimps.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

What manly man actually uses a straw? The imagery is just too graphic.

When you have a toothache you need a straw lol.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Relying on research done by a nine year old...who is now 16. OK.

4.1 percent...yeah, this'll save the environment.

Steel straws? Really? Have any of these mouth-breathing idiots ever seen steel smelting in action?? Not the most environmentally friendly of actions...so, naturally they'll explore that as an alternative.

Idiots. The lot of 'em. Idiots. My goodness, but Cali has gone 'round the twist, as they say.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

"To criminalize it is just a nanny state going too far. "

Welcome to California

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

More of the result of this 'Green Capitalism' California is famous for

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

The judge could no longer overlook his crimes, it was the last straw.
edit on 25-1-2018 by Cutepants because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

So you can enter the state illegally, but a plastic straw can get you jail time.

California truly is the land of fruit and nuts.

Of course. If I'm not mistaken, it's rule #11 in the "Fruit's and Nut's Guide to Progressive Nirvana for Dummies"...

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Relying on research done by a nine year old...who is now 16. OK.

4.1 percent...yeah, this'll save the environment.

Steel straws? Really? Have any of these mouth-breathing idiots ever seen steel smelting in action?? Not the most environmentally friendly of actions...so, naturally they'll explore that as an alternative.

Idiots. The lot of 'em. Idiots. My goodness, but Cali has gone 'round the twist, as they say.

I'd suggest Californians start using lead straws. Then this would all be a self correcting problem on multiple fronts.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join