It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slayer retiring...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
- Two AWFUL words to hear (and painful to write), but unfortunately true...

www.blabbermouth.net...
www.yahoo.com...

After nearly 40 years of having their logo spray-painted walls and, in one instance, carved into human flesh, thrash-metal firebrands Slayer will call it quits. The group will embark on a final tour this summer with support from numerous peers and bands they inspired, including Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. The first leg of the tour, which focuses on North America, kicks off May 10th in San Diego and wraps June 20th in Austin.

In a rare tacit moment, none of the band members have so far commented on why Slayer are retiring. In 2016, singer-bassist Tom Araya told Loudwire (via Blabbermouth), "At 35 years, it's time to collect my pension. This is a career move. ... It just gets harder and harder to come back out on the road. 35 years is a long time."

A lot of mixed emotions here... All I can say right now is, what an UNBELIEVABLE run they have had, spanning their ENTIRE career. Nearly 40 years under their belt... Slayer are undoubtedly one of the hardest-working Metal bands on the face of the planet. Always delivering, and never flinching. And although this is heavy, somber news, their retirement is BEYOND well-deserved, so I have to respect that 100%. I wish them the absolute BEST of luck in the world, and will ALWAYS proudly continue buying their merch & supporting them. Always have, always will. I'm 38, and have been a fan of theirs since 12 years old (since 1992). SLAAAAAYER!!!!!!!!!

If you've never seen Slayer live, obviously NOW would be the time to do so (before their final show on June 20th) -- before it's too late! More info: www.slayer.net...

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   
On and on, south of heaven... I guess, in some ways, it's better to go with pride, than linger like the stench of 'tallica..

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:54 AM
link   
They've earned a break.
Good for them.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This is definitely not the first thing I wanted to read this morning.

Gonna have to dig out the old albums, even the ones I don't take out much to preserve them. Still have two of the old metal blade releases before they were signed by roadrunner.

Guess I'll start with some Dead skin mask.

Thanks for the update.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
- Two AWFUL words to hear (and painful to write), but unfortunately true...

www.blabbermouth.net...
www.yahoo.com...

After nearly 40 years of having their logo spray-painted walls and, in one instance, carved into human flesh, thrash-metal firebrands Slayer will call it quits. The group will embark on a final tour this summer with support from numerous peers and bands they inspired, including Lamb of God, Anthrax, Behemoth and Testament. The first leg of the tour, which focuses on North America, kicks off May 10th in San Diego and wraps June 20th in Austin.

In a rare tacit moment, none of the band members have so far commented on why Slayer are retiring. In 2016, singer-bassist Tom Araya told Loudwire (via Blabbermouth), "At 35 years, it's time to collect my pension. This is a career move. ... It just gets harder and harder to come back out on the road. 35 years is a long time."

A lot of mixed emotions here... All I can say right now is, what an UNBELIEVABLE run they have had, spanning their ENTIRE career. Nearly 40 years under their belt... Slayer are undoubtedly one of the hardest-working Metal bands on the face of the planet. Always delivering, and never flinching. And although this is heavy, somber news, their retirement is BEYOND well-deserved, so I have to respect that 100%. I wish them the absolute BEST of luck in the world, and will ALWAYS proudly continue buying their merch & supporting them. Always have, always will. I'm 38, and have been a fan of theirs since 12 years old (since 1992). SLAAAAAYER!!!!!!!!!

If you've never seen Slayer live, obviously NOW would be the time to do so (before their final show on June 20th) -- before it's too late! More info: www.slayer.net...

I missed out on getting to see Dio on the last Heaven and Hell tour. I've never seen Slayer live. That's too bad.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

Love Slayer music!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's the stuff!!

Need a headbanging emote..

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If only Jeff hanneman had lasted a little longer, he might have seen this well deserved retirement as well. Gary holt is good, but no one beats Jeff hanneman.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kromlech

I hope Body Count gets to play with them before all is said and done. I am lucky enough to have seen Slayer a couple of times, but if they come my way I will certainly pay my final respects. RIP to one of the greatest metal bands in history. They certainly deserve their hard-earned rest.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I read today that Elton John is also retiring.

Are we missing something important ?

edit on 24-1-2018 by maxey because: spelling

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
They are from a time that is long gone and will not return in out lives.

No one is afraid of statan or black metal anymore when all of hip-hop is talking about illuminati and satanic references.

Lady GaGa has the Satan gimmick now

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Wow, sad thing to hear. Never got to see them live unfortunately, but my cousin saw them several times on the Monsters of Rock tour and Ozzfest I believe. Wish I had gone way back then.

Will have to settle for turning them up while gaming.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm going to try to catch their last show in Austin.
There will be vibes.
Kerry King says he is not ready to stop. Freak of Nature.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am glad I got to see them years ago.

Kerry King came out with Rob Zombie and played Thunderkiss 65. It was a show to remember.

I regret that I will not be able to take my son to see them. Slayer is one of his favorite bands.

I bet that Kerry will still come around and play.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Honestly their last ten years have been lackluster to me. The newer albums all sound regurgitated from the past and the lyrics have gotten dull and uninspired. I respect the move to retire. Seasons in the abyss, though, is some seriously heavy stuff.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I would really like to see them reunite with Dave Lombardo for their final swan song.
We can all hope.

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I would really like to see them reunite with Dave Lombardo for their final swan song.
We can all hope.
Dave is way cooler in Fantomas anyway!
edit on 5-2-2018 by InspectorGadget13 because: Bc

new topics

top topics

join