It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns out #releasethememo wasnt most trending because Russian Bots

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Last week, a four page memo detailing FBI abuse of FISA warrants against the Trump campaign was circulated within the US House of Representatives

Amid calls from several Congressional Republicans, the hashtag #ReleaseTheMemo immediately went viral

In an effort to downplay genuine public concern, a "Russian propaganda" tracking website used primarily by Democrats and Neoconservatives has suggested that #ReleaseTheMemo went viral thanks to Russian bots

California Reps. Dianne Feinstein and Adam Schiff sent a letter to Facebook and Twitter CEO's on Tuesday, asking that they take action against the Russian scourge

Meanwhile, Twitter's internal analysis of the hashtag has thus far found that authentic American accounts, not Russians, are driving #ReleaseTheMemo, according to The Daily Beast

www.zerohedge.com...

I warned people this would happen. The media and democrats are starting to label any news that they dont want to cover that people have an interest in as the work of russian bots.

As I said before, if you are anti trump, you may think its ok now.

But they have already stsrated to say BLM is pushed by russian bots, and many other progressive groups. Hopw soon until the establishment left (you know, the ones that stole the primary from bernie) are demanding for censorship of progressives using the russian bot excuse.

And now we see in this issue, it seems that despite all of the gnashing of teeth about the #releasethememo popularity, it turns out that the vast majority of the people interested in it were inside of America.

Yet much of the main stream media would only discuss the memo in the context of it being propaganda pushed by russian bots, which now seems to be a gross mischaracterization of what actually happened.

I know I know, everyone will be shocked to realize that once again, the MSM acts as a mouth piece for the establishment democrats.

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Why can't people just say it?

It's censorship.

Whether it's by government or by government proxy or ideologically driven, it is censorship.

It's controlling the narrative by censorship.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Why can't people just say it?

It's censorship.

Whether it's by government or by government proxy or ideologically driven, it is censorship.

It's controlling the narrative by censorship.

Its the same mentality that wants conservative speaker kept off of campus.

When they dont have an answer to something, they want that that something to not be allowed to be said.

Then they claim victory.

Again, the same people shouting to the heavens about how a few russian twitter bots can steal an election have no problem at all with the people that run twitter censoring conservative opinions.

Thats really all that needs to be said about these people.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

They don't wan't any propaganda getting in the way of their propaganda!

We really, dare I say desperately, need a simple press organization.

No fluff, as little bias as possible with direct links to direct sources. It may not be the greatest business venture, but it is still needed.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:06 PM
link   
We move ever-closer to a reality where many ATS members' signatures become more than just warnings from past patriots.

Members' signatures along the lines of "in a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"

We are being cornered. If they think we're going to take it sitting down...molon labe

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I just wanted to bump this because it is an important issue.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I was going to post that article. We're at a point where we need to enact an "Online First Amendment" that prohibits entities like Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube from discriminating based on political orientation (real or perceived). This is censorship, plain & simple.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

I think folks with knowledge, ability and motivation should construct platforms with those ideals in mind.

Forcing will, even freedoms upon private business is just a reflection of the same content.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Companies, private companies, have the right to do as they wish.

But they need to stop lying about being a champion for free speech.

They need to be outed.

You fight censorship with MORE free speech.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

There's a few things (in reverse order of relevance?).

1. I've personally been accused about 10,000 times of being a "shill" on ATS as have many other people... by right-wing posters. Additionally, it's quite popular to accuse anyone and everyone of being somehow linked to George Soros.

2. This isn't a phenomenon confined to posters on ATS or regular folks on the Internet at large, it's pushed in right-wing media — to use the phrasing of ZH, an outlet that engages in just this sort of thing — "in an effort to downplay genuine public concern."

3. It doesn't stop with right-wing media outlets. In the last couple years, it's been increasingly the sort of thing that GOP politicians will also repeat. And now, we have a President who has on more than one occasion, made the same assertions about Americans who have voiced their disapproval of him in the streets.

Should we all be alarmed about this or not?

Specifically in regards to Twitter:

4. When Twitter has come out and said things like that more than 50,000 Russian bots were active to influence opinions on Twitter during the election, I have seen the same people who flip their s# over this one instance shrug it off, saying things like, "who cares about Twitter?" — insisting that it's a non-issue.

What's the deal? Do we care about what's trending on Twitter or not? If you think that the voice of the people being falsely attributed to Russian bots is a huge deal then shouldn't you also think that it's a really big deal that the Russian bots are also distorting the people's voice?

Personally, I see this as all part and parcel of the same issue. That issue in my opinion is that we as a society have got to catch up with our technology. Social media is a new battleground for information warfare that's only really taken off in the last 10 years. Social media, Twitter in particular, is also a lot like a big angry mob so it only follows that these entities would use tried and true manipulation tactics.

Companies do it, foreign governments do it and you can be assured that our own government is doing it too. And sometimes, it's just a group of like-minded people with the interest and know-how.

And in the last few years, we've seen the increased popularity of media reporting on social media trends. How many "and the Internet (reacts somehow)" articles do we see these days? I think we have to decide if we're taking social media seriously or not. It seems to me that we are as a society and if that's the case, we've got to figure out something better than the current #show.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Agree, I think one thing Twitter should be working on, is not just hiding things if it detects bot activity, but develop a formula where it doesnt count the bots in the total number of tweets going out about a hashtag or topic, so it can still be trending if enough people are talking about it. Im sure there has to be a way that it can be done.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Many main stream media outlets only reproted on the memo in the context that is was being pushed by russian bots.

This is not only a subtle way of implying the memo must also be tainted by russia, but was based on a lie that these bots were responsible for pushing this, when it was in fact americans.

You and I have discussed russian trolls in the past; I think it is laughable to claim they have a huge influence, you disagree.

Given that we now know that Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, etc. are themselves doing a lot to censor or limit many conservative viewpoints, how is that not many more times impactful than russian bots?

And are you not in the least bit disturbed that so many main stream outlets blamed these bots, showing once agiant they arent journalists, but merely cheerleaders agaisnt trump?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: trb71

Agree, I think one thing Twitter should be working on, is not just hiding things if it detects bot activity, but develop a formula where it doesnt count the bots in the total number of tweets going out about a hashtag or topic, so it can still be trending if enough people are talking about it. Im sure there has to be a way that it can be done.

Or one thing twitter could do is stop shadow banning conservatives.

Thats seems to be a much bigger deal than russian bots.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Zerohege is like Stormfront lite...

I'd NEVER trust anything from that site.

edited...

The article SAYS a "knowledgeable source within Twitter"

Can you HEAR my eyes rolling? How many times have people here outright dismissed the EXACT same reporting?
edit on 23-1-2018 by DanteGaland because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I just wanted to bump this because it is an important issue.

Agreed. Are we getting tired of blaming everything on the Russians yet? This is beyond ridiculous now. I can't even believe there are still people buying that load of crap.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Nope - It is all Democrats have left aside from coming forward and admitting the entire russia narrative was bs and intended to remove a lawfully elected President from power in an effort to conceal the previous administrations lies and crimes.

Clinton said it best after the Matt Lauer interview -

If Trump wins, we all hang.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:09 PM
link   

How ridiculous all of that is!

I have a right to voice my opinion to Congress
without any other hitch.

For cryin out loud, illegal's can now vote in California!

What should we have to prove we reside in The COTUS to
tweet about a congressional issue?

Such a farcical length of nonsense!

edit on 23-1-2018 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

edit on 23-1-2018 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It's frustrating how people can justify censorship. Many seems to have a "caveat" to what they determine is free speech.

I have found it liberating to embrace an ideological stance where simple freedom is paramount.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
This memo is on the level of the Kraken to the dems.

Unless Schumer wants to cut off hillary's head and use that. Lol.

Only way to stop it.

#releasethememo

edit on 1 24 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

edit on 1 24 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join