It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8.2 Earthquake Shakes Gulf of Alaska

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: sandman441

originally posted by: CranialSponge
This is bad.

Everyone is sleeping in their beds right now and the tsunami is expected to hit the Alaskan and BC coastlines within the next 2 to 3 hours.

For those of you who know anyone who lives on those coastlines, pick up the phone and call them if you can...

Wake them up so they have enough time to get to higher ground, we have no idea right now how bad the waves are going to be !

Everybody in Kodiak has been evacuated to higher ground, the sirens went off and alot of people got messages about the tsunami.

Can you imagine being awakened to sirens, not knowing what's going on? Finding out a tsunami headed your way would strike fear in your heart.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Kodiak police sent this ad out.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl

This is bad.

Everyone is sleeping in their beds right now and the tsunami is expected to hit the Alaskan and BC coastlines within the next 2 to 3 hours.

For those of you who know anyone who lives on those coastlines, pick up the phone and call them if you can...

Wake them up so they have enough time to get to higher ground, we have no idea right now how bad the waves are going to be !

Everybody in Kodiak has been evacuated to higher ground, the sirens went off and alot of people got messages about the tsunami.

Can you imagine being awakened to sirens, not knowing what's going on? Finding out a tsunami headed your way would strike fear in your heart.

Oh trust me, I woke up cause of the shaking and I am in Anchorage. I thought we were about to get hit by the big one. Any shaking that wakes people up is always bad. 2 years ago with the 7.0 that was bad enough. I don't generally get scared of earthquakes but that one scared me.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I am trying to get confirmation but apparently a wave just hit kodiak, not confirmed as of yet though.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Third alert.

Still nothing about Kodiak or other towns that may have been hit already, but the warning is still active.

Fingers crossed for my neighbors.

I've heard the water got sucked out of the channel and this was about 15 or so minutes ago. I dont think any radio stations up here have even reported it, not even the tv stations.

Nothing I could find yet.

That was a really long quake. We felt about a minute of rolling then it picked up for maybe twenty seconds harder and then kept going less strong for a bit. Maybe two minutes. Now I'm wide awake wondering about how bad it's going to be. Alaska does not need another economic hit either.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: sandman441

I've never been in an earthquake. Lots of tornadoes, though!

link   
Glad we got local ATS people to keep us updated.

Stay safe.

link   

This is bad.

Those in Hawaii will probably be saying, Not again, and just go back to sleep.

link   
Wow...

Another aftershock just hit a minute ago, 4.6

So far in the same spot:

link   

Third alert.

Still nothing about Kodiak or other towns that may have been hit already, but the warning is still active.

Fingers crossed for my neighbors.

I've heard the water got sucked out of the channel and this was about 15 or so minutes ago. I dont think any radio stations up here have even reported it, not even the tv stations.

Nothing I could find yet.

That was a really long quake. We felt about a minute of rolling then it picked up for maybe twenty seconds harder and then kept going less strong for a bit. Maybe two minutes. Now I'm wide awake wondering about how bad it's going to be. Alaska does not need another economic hit either.

It was a long one, I dont usually wake up from them and this one definitely woke me up. I am still trying to get confirmation, it could be a joke post.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
A Larry Pestrickoff is live streaming from Kodiak at the moment..

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   

I've never been in an earthquake. Lots of tornadoes, though!

lots of earthquakes for me, but no tornadoes.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Has anyone been able to confirm the height of the wave? I am having a very hard time getting concrete information from Tsunami.gov.

Lots of conflicting information on the size of the original quake. EMSC says it was an 8.0 at a depth of 10km, which is very shallow. And they've had aftershocks. Here's a list of the current quakes on EMSC's website as of a couple of minutes ago:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Link?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Dunno how to get a link through the app.

If you search his name you'll find him easy

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

I don't expect much for while, then the news should be full of it.

I and my wife were watching a movie when it hit.

link   

This is bad.

Oh trust me, I woke up cause of the shaking and I am in Anchorage. I thought we were about to get hit by the big one. Any shaking that wakes people up is always bad. 2 years ago with the 7.0 that was bad enough. I don't generally get scared of earthquakes but that one scared me.

Yeah, I was waiting for it to ramp up. I'm in west Los Anchorage and the 7.2 quake a couple years ago hit our area hardest as far as movement and duration goes. This one was bizarrely different... No cracking or popping, no lurching, just gentle rocking. Really odd especially for as cold as its been to not at least have some frozen ground settling noises around the house.

link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Link?

Could this be it? There's a livestream towards the bottom of this page but I can't see a thing with it being in the middle of the night there:

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Hawaii warnings have been cancelled

Hawaii Public Radio

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Kusatsu, Japan has a volcano erupting right now. Wow, lots going on this morning. Making me very nervous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join