It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britannia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
OK so I chanced upon a series called Britannia, basically Romans vs Celts, so OK i'll bite, after all who doesn't like a good sword and sandals flik.
Brit made, so I was kinda expecting something on the level of Rome or Spartacus the series...but oooh boy prepared to be annoyed.

I'm used to having the Romans especially high borns speak with an aristocratic Brit accent, but I donno they all sound street to me, but that's not the worst of it, the Romans fought like undisciplined assholes or straight cowards, in one scene there was a conversation between, generals and friends ,and would you believe they mentioned a market place in "Cairo"?? yes fkin Cairo a middle age Arab city in Egypt. But still I am watching, so there must be something worth while, I just don't know what! If anyone else saw this series, pls tell me it gets better..

edit on 22-1-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Are you really expecting something near to reality, that is a pure work of fiction ? Surely not.

In saying that,i have never watched it or likely to.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Aristocratic British accents are out of fashion on British television.
They want their intended audience to be able to recognise themselves onscreen.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It’s kind of been bigged up and made out to be the British GoT. It’s not.

I’m on Ep 5 and it hasn’t got interesting or better, it’s just on in the background while working.

The colour palette is off to me, it’s all too bright. The characters are flat and frankly annoying. Most of them I wish would just get on with it and die. Especially the outcast Druid who just needs to brush his teeth and the annoying brat girl.

I think there are only 6 episodes so may as well watch the end but can’t for the life of envisage a second series. Literally nothing has happened upto now though.

Bob

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

i think that was a pair of famous jeans in the 70's or 80's?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

in one scene there was a conversation between, generals and friends ,and would you believe they mentioned a market place in "Cairo"?? yes fkin Cairo a middle age Arab city in Egypt. But still I am watching, so there must be

Egypt was at one time a province of Rome 30BC onwards. The city itself is much older.
The accents in English perhaps in regional accents, (I haven't seen it) is not always the case, usually though just to demonstrate class structures, differences and the like in modern day parlance, rather than someone speaking english with a foreign accent. Where it suits I suppose.

I should also say that it is not something historical, just weirdy stuff..fantasy.

edit on 22-1-2018 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's trying too hard to be Game Of Thrones On Drugs.

And yes, I heard even by episode 5 there's no real stories emerging. So I don't know if I'll make it that far.

Though I hear vague rumours the back end gets a little better?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Egypt was at one time a province of Rome 30BC onwards. The city itself is much older.

Cairo was founded in the Muslim era. The big Egyptian city in Roman times was Alexandria.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

It’s kind of been bigged up and made out to be the British GoT. It’s not.

I’m on Ep 5 and it hasn’t got interesting or better, it’s just on in the background while working.

The colour palette is off to me, it’s all too bright. The characters are flat and frankly annoying. Most of them I wish would just get on with it and die. Especially the outcast Druid who just needs to brush his teeth and the annoying brat girl.

I think there are only 6 episodes so may as well watch the end but can’t for the life of envisage a second series. Literally nothing has happened upto now though.

Bob
I totally agree with everything you have said I stuck with it hoping for it to get better and there was a moment at the end of episode 6 I thought it might get better. It didn’t!! They tried to capitalise on game of thrones success and have wasted a massive amount of cash

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the feed back guys, the consensus seems to be it"s a dud,which is a shame,it could have been better, I'm jonesing for a good sword & sandals flick.
edit on 23-1-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
"Hail Britannia!"

sorry, nothing to really add to the thread.....just love how the name "Britannia" rolls off the tongue is all......

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
"Hail Britannia!".....

Quite right. Perhaps this version is better;

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
So I read this not long after the post was made and when I did, I had only watched 1 ep at that time. Today I continued on and binged on more than half of the eps. So far, I'm really liking this show.

I'll say this...

It's not meant to be historical by any means. I think the magic and the messengers from the dead pretty much sum that up. I will say that it's only loosely based on history, in the sense that there were romans, druids and celts back some 2k years ago. Oh yeah... And Stonehenge.

Still, I really love the show. The ONE MAJOR thing I would change on this show that would make it 100% enjoyable for me is that damned crappy theme song!! It goes together with the show like mickey mouse and death metal. I have to skip it because it's so damned annoying. Crappy arsed hippy music!

It's not as serious as say, Vikings, but it's very enjoyable. I love the comic relief we get from the crazy, demon possessed druid. I think this is my fave character.

Oh yeah... Not a kid's show. Various scenes of T&A. However.... No so much the redhead.... Damn! But... I'm not done with the series. One can only hope, right?

I'll give it a 9 out of 10. I'm docking points for that stupid intro and closing song. It's like NWA wearing cowboy hats!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Yeah like I said just happened on it,and I get ya, but the production tho, made it seemed like there was more depth to it.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Key board playing up.

edit on 24-1-2018 by crayzeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Britannia is a complete work of fiction. Just because it uses names like Romans, Britons and Druids Does not make it a comparably historical version. Though this is supposed to be set in the South West of Britain there was never any tribes of that name and the main premise of the Roman fight to defeat the Druids, the never had a major centre in Southern Britain.
They were based on Anglesea, which at that time was called Mona. though each tribe had its own Druid. I thik the premise behind the series is to portray the back stabbing, devious ways of internal tribe relations, inter tribe relations and Roman deviousness to achieve their aims.
One cannot even complain about the accents as the language used is more modern 20th century vernacular, even down to the swearing and insults.
There are many, many inaccuracies on the Roman part, if you really want to be pedantic about it as I've read quite a bit on the Roman armies actual make up and what and why they did what they did.
So really it's just a story, a fiction, either enjoy it or not.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I can confirm after watching it all that it is pretty much poop.

Theme tune was by Donovan - don’t ask me how it’s tied apart from drugs!
edit on 24-1-2018 by DrBobH because: (no reason given)

join