It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvesting of Cell Phone User Data - A New Level?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: JHumm
I have had that happen before,
Even one time I was talking to a friend about Harley Davidson, then the next ad I see on this website was for Harley Davidson, I found that to be a little to coincidental.
Anyone else ?

Again, that has happened many, many times both to me and to people I know; this, however, went a step or ten further. Monitoring and harvesting information from audio is fairly easy. Monitoring and harvesting information from the physical environment (when no audio or digital information was available) is an entirely different thing.

I know what you are saying ,, our phones are our connection to who are watching and knowing everything about us and then trying to control our actions or thoughts.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Hey OP, what about the camera on your phone? I can totally imagine it 'seeing' those tiles and then giving you adverts about it.
I had my personal experience with this, not my phone but husband's [they won't have any luck with mine, it's all switched off adn on highest privacy etc.], basically were mentioning something we had never mentioned before or looked for online. At x-mas we visited friends and she got an adult colouring book, which I asked her to show me.

Less than an hour later my husband got adverts about them.

They listen and they look and it will all come out one day. We are all being mined and shafted.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
That is why I still use an old throw-down clam.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Yeah, I've had that kind of thing happen many times and know many others who have. It's clear that audio is monitored and processed. Difference is that this time, there was not audio and no internet searches, just my physical presence next to the article. The only indication of my nearness to the item in any was was visual.

By chance, did the store advertise that it had free WiFI for customer's convenience? If so, could it have used the GPS in your phone to track your location in the store?

As far as the phone listening to you, that's a fact. I discussed the Older American's Act over the business landline phone with a caregiver. When I picked up my cell phone later, there was a google list of articles about the OAA. Needless to say, I learned how to deactivate the voice input feature on the cell phone.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Okay, something EXACTLY like it happened to my wife just the other night. Hold on, I'm going to call her and then I'll be back with the details.

Wait, nvm.. I remember now.

She was talking to a coworker about some weight issues she's having (can't keep the pounds on), specifically about taking some protein shakes. These weren't any protein shakes. These were a specific organic type. She said later that day, during her lunch, in pops an add into her Facebook newsfeed about a, you guessed it........ a protein shake. An organic protein shake designed not to upset women's lactose intolerant stomachs.

She told me this in passing when a package arrived at our house as the reason for purchasing it. I said, "of course it did(the advertisement)".

Do you think it's possible Facebook would have a super-secret product placement service which entails literally LISTENING IN on conversations to look for sales? If purchased in bulk, I could see a market for a product line like that.
edit on 22-1-2018 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Okay, something EXACTLY like it happened to my wife just the other night. Hold on, I'm going to call her and then I'll be back with the details.

Wait, nvm.. I remember now.

She was talking to a coworker about some weight issues she's having (can't keep the pounds on), specifically about taking some protein shakes. These weren't any protein shakes. These were a specific organic type. She said later that day, during her lunch, in pops an add into her Facebook newsfeed about a, you guessed it........ a protein shake. An organic protein shake designed not to upset women's lactose intolerant stomachs.

She told me this in passing when a package arrived at our house as the reason for purchasing it. I said, "of course it did(the advertisement)".

Do you think it's possible Facebook would have a super-secret product placement service which entails literally LISTENING IN on conversations to look for sales? If purchased in bulk, I could see a market for a product line like that.

I'm beginning to wonder about more than just Facebook. I purchased dog food from Chewy.com on Saturday from my HOME computer. I took a break at work for a few minutes, logged into ATS on the WORK computer, and...

there's an ad from Chewy.com in the sidebar.

This is the stuff that makes me shake my head. Just how much do the data trackers know about us?

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
They track everything, obviously through searches, but also through what websites you browse. Don’t forget through the built in mic that listens for keywords when your on the phone chatty chathying. You know that Siri Thing everyone is all about, well times that by 100 fold through your hand held devise, computer, WiFi objects, WiFi microwave and refrigerator without you knowing, well did you even read the fine print for “accept” or “I agree”. Hints are when even Zuc tapes off his camera and mic in plain view.
edit on 22-1-2018 by 38181 because: Space cadre

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
That's some 'Spooky' shizzle right there.

Wonder where I could buy an inter-galactic ballistic missile?

That should get the data miners spinnin', or aknock on the door.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Facebook messenger has been doing this since it came out.

If you install it you give it permission to activate microphone, and it does. Check it out, uninstall and reinstall and notice the permissions.

Any app that uses these permissions can do this.

It may activate the camera too, I'd need to check permissions.

I don't think any of these data mining companies are owned by who they claim they are.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This sounds like your phone is using beacons.

www.accuware.com...

This is a legitimate technology that many stores use.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Sure. If you have location turned on and you walk into a store, your phone knows you're in that store. Happens all the time.

But I was not in a store. It was a facility that would have not logical connection to the product that was advertised. They had a translation room, but it's not a place where anyone would just assume that there was such a room or that it was outfitted with these tiles.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

Hey OP, what about the camera on your phone? I can totally imagine it 'seeing' those tiles and then giving you adverts about it. ...

Yeah, that is my assumption. That's why I pointed out that the phone was lying face up in front of me. It's the only way that it could have happened; an image was captured of where I was standing, the tiles were in it, some AI algorithm recognized them and tagged me for an advert.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Facebook messenger has been doing this since it came out.

If you install it you give it permission to activate microphone, and it does. Check it out, uninstall and reinstall and notice the permissions.

Any app that uses these permissions can do this.

It may activate the camera too, I'd need to check permissions.

I don't think any of these data mining companies are owned by who they claim they are.

Simply ... YEP!

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
No, no "beacons" here. This was not a store or a regular place of public business. Absolutely, positively no beacons, and not a place that would be expected to have or listed as having these items.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

If you install the No Root Firewall app, or similar firewall with logger, it will show you who your phone is connecting to.

I was shocked to find my phone try to connect with about 40 remote computers.

A paid app called Package Disabler Pro used to disable all the bloatware, phone mfg tracking, carrier tracking, etc with No Root Firewall asking permissions for ALL cell, or wifi traffic as a default setting is what I run.

It's also great for using free apps that try to steal your info, they can't get out of your firewall to report back to mommy and you can utilize the app.
I'd feel bad but it was never about a free app, the app was about harvesting your info for cash

IF you are on an android if you go to settings>privacy&emergency>app permissions>camera, you could see a list of apps that have been granted camera permissions. Microphone permissions are here to.

I am not sure if apple has this feature.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Go to Settings》apps》camera》permissions. It tells you how much ram the camera used in the last three hours.

You're thinking an app is taking photos and uploading them to a Facebook server. It should show up in the settings above. There would also be a subclause in the app UELA. Techies would have exposed this right away.

It's coincidence or something spooky. It ain't your FB app.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I worked in telecom for a while, I know they talked about phones having the ability to know what stores you were near and sending you a coupon as you walked by.

It happens.
We'll be sitting in a restaruant...and I get an alert to review it.
And, I'm not really sure if I can do anything to turn this off.....or what exactly is doing it.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

You can turn off location data. It's perfect to stop getting nagged for reviews. Pain in the butt if you prefer to have location turned on.

Most people use location and ignore the nagging requests to upload images and reviews. Phones offer good services and the price is privacy.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I dont think this kind of thing is coincidence. This is nothing short of data matching and we what jimstone has been saying about all this kind of thing in the last 12 months is correct, then its only going to get worse.

At the moment its only marketing but suppose you were walking along the street and suddendly your phone got a message saying that someone in your facebook, linkedin etc page, was 50 metres away from you and sent you both a picture of each other.

Supposing you get a message from goggle saying somebody you owe money to is only 60 metres away and is in a vehicle 4 vehicles ahead of you in the other lane.

Suppose you get a message from google saying that person who crashed into your car and ran off 3 years ago is sitting 4 rows down from you and 5 seats to the left. Supposing that message also gave you a complete hisotry of your insurance file on the case, their address where they live, where they work and who their friends and family are.

The 'security forces' will of course be the first to get this technolgy and maybe its only just around the corner but from there ......

This is what all those deluded but decieved people who said "ah well, if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear do you?" never ever considered this kidn of thing when they said that to others.

As your post makes the point, by the time they wake up because big brother is really starting bite them directly, it will be far too late but there goes just about everyone else to.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   
A couple experimented with their phone and discussed buying catfood as an experiment to test their phone. They didnt have a cat and never searched for cats on their phone..however a day later they were recieving catfood advertising on their phone. They have made a You Tube video about their experiment. I have always known my phone listens to me to advertise what i might need based on discussions and google searches...etc and alot of online sites say they use observational behaivours to advertise to you personally. But just being around or touching something...then all of a sudden getting ads for it may mean our smart phones are smarter than we would ever know. My theory though is your phone heard someone in that room discussing the product in conversation. Eg "do you think those walls have ...." or "those walls are made of..." without you hearing this discussion. But your phone heard bc it hears all. Phones are so invasive and we are fools to think they dont listen in on us. Maybe try it yourself. I have been.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join