It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richest one percent made 82% of wealth created last year: Oxfam

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: MteWamp

Yes it is the Indian's fault that she is working for absolute poverty wages in a 3rd world city with open sewers and literally no way out of debt. She should work harder.

Right.

So you're more comfortable believing that it's MY fault? yes? No? If not, then who?

Thing is, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that even in every *hole in the world, all over the world, where people have took it upon themselves to put the effort in, and become successful on nothing more that their OWN merit.

Economics and becoming successful is NOT a zero-sum game, my friend.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Ah ok, so someone in America living in the same conditions as another person in a third world country is is better off because that third world country has a lower standard of living than America. Makes sense.

Same living conditions =/= same living conditions in your model here. Interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Ah ok, so someone in America living in the same conditions as another person in a third world country is is better off because that third world country has a lower standard of living than America. Makes sense.

Same living conditions =/= same living conditions in your model here. Interesting.

Very few people in America live in third world conditions. Even in the areas we consider to be horrific ghettos are far above anything found in the third world.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

There are places in the 3rd world where the workers are in perpetual debt, or slavery if you will.

So America is a third world country?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Choice is a big factor.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I have posted many times this is about the 3rd world counties.

And no not just anyone can make it. There are places in the 3rd world where the workers are in perpetual debt, or slavery if you will.

How is some millionaire in America who may have been saving his entire life responsible for the standard of living of a favela in South America?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

So living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by is excusable because other people are worse off? Why are we setting the bar so low here?

1% of the population getting 84% of the wealth is not a good thing no matter how you try to spin it.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

One person up against billions of dollars in lobbying, yeah I'm sure that'll work well, about as well as a guy jumping into a pit if hungry crocodiles.

But whining, bitching, and moaning about it, THAT's the ticket! That'll git'r done.

Tell you what, why don't you just make a note to yourself, hang it on the fridge so you won't forget, and give me a ping when and if that happens. That way I can come before you personally, and make all the appropriate grovelling sounds. M'kay?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Choices that are getting smaller and smaller as more wealth is accumulated at the top.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

May as well get off ATS then because that's about 90% of the content posted here.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

That's a matter of perspective and creativeness.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

So living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by is excusable because other people are worse off? Why are we setting the bar so low here?

1% of the population getting 84% of the wealth is not a good thing no matter how you try to spin it.

Sigh... Pay attention. We just went over that about 5 minutes ago. Were you not taking notes?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Not everyone is going to be rich. A lot of people live paycheck to paycheck. It is a part of life. All you can do is play the hand you are dealt. Crying and bitching has never made anyone rich or successful.

Prove 1% of the population getting 84% is a bad thing. How is Jeff Bezo's being worth $100 billion affecting you personally? If he wasn't worth $100 billion, how would it change your life?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

and that answer works for all 3.5 Billion people? I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

I didn't claim it to be your fault, what are talking about?

The fault is in supply chains and lobbying. When a womens top is made (India) and an big box retailer pays .25 cents for it it leaves almost no $$ for pay. And this leads to some very bad situations.

But feel free to explain it away as some one not willing to put in the effort.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Is Jeff Bezos using his wealth to buy the votes of politicians? If so then I'd say that yes, his wealth is affecting me and millions of others.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Amazon is sucking up taxes by receiving subsidies for shipping, to the tune of over a $1.25 per. That is one way that large profitable corps do effect every day people.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Is Jeff Bezos using his wealth to buy the votes of politicians? If so then I'd say that yes, his wealth is affecting me and millions of others.

But you have no problem with teacher's unions, teamsters, or other community groups lobbying?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

a reply to: JinMI

Choices that are getting smaller and smaller as more wealth is accumulated at the top.

Hey, look at me when I'm talking to you, boy!
Sorry, that's a joke. Just overlook it.

But...We did just cover the zero-sum issue.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Amazon is sucking up taxes by receiving subsidies for shipping, to the tune of over a $1.25 per. That is one way that large profitable corps do effect every day people.

Congress should force the post office to raise their pricing... why blame Amazon for the post office's mismanagement?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join