It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richest one percent made 82% of wealth created last year: Oxfam

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

And for your viewing pleasure an odd and kinda sick out look from one of the shark tank guys ( Kevin O'Leary). He think the wealth gap is fantastic

Thankfully this piece of crap dropped out of Canada's Conservative Party's leadership race.

Solutions..no tax breaks for these elite, tariffs, if you manufacture out of country..doesn't matter, those benefitting will not let go of the stranglehold they have over us. O'Leary is a nice example of the kind of scum who actually gets off on it.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
It's not just a matter of being upset at the status quo. It's recognizing that it's a pattern of declining well being for everyone but the small percentage. That as this goes on the working class is getting less and less for doing more and more work, while the wealthy get richer and richer while doing less and less.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

There's no fixing the current system yet our politicians say they will be the ones to do it every election cycle including this past one with his promise to "drain the swamp", the very same one who admitted to participating and helping the rigged system along.

If the system can't be fixed then why put faith into anyone who is a part of it? Especially one as fully integrated as the current president?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

That guy in the video is sick in the head.

Yes he is.

Like it or not the system is rigged by the people receiving the huge gains. Are there ways to access the system, sure, but the system itself is designed to omit the none member, if you will. But I do not think that is the subject.

The subject is how 1% gains 82% of the wealth created last YEAR! That should send alarms to everyone. There should not be any way for a small group of people to gain that much of the wealth.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
They've got the supercomputers set to plunder.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

dude, 99% of the world just doesn't work hard enough

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The problem with this tired argument is that it absolves people of personal responsibility.

It's not my fault, it's the wealthy that are to blame.
It's not my fault, it's the government that's to blame.
It's not my fault, it's ______ that's to blame.

No, maybe it's YOUR fault, and maybe if you would put down the Doritos, turn off the TV, drop the XBox controller, get up off your ass, and make some kind of effort, someday you just might begin to understand that.

Jesus Christ, it ain't rocket science folks....

Just because your neighbor drives a Porsche, does NOT, in ANY WAY, make it their fault that YOU don't drive one. And it DAMN sure don't make it their fault that you are just too stupid to even REALIZE that.
edit on 21-1-2018 by MteWamp because: add

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Yes, you are whinging. And no, I did not say whining.

Soooo unjust. Go stand in line, the Democrats will give you all of the government you so desperately need and want.

No one has said this is a dem or repup problem. (It is both)

And if you think that 1% snagging 82% of the wealth in any given year is OK. Wait til it is 84% and you get canned. Then you will care-me thinks.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

well considering this article is about the world to be fair they are addressing an issue that affects 4 billion people worldwide living in total poverty

ummmm so, just quit crying losers and work hard in STEM!

not my problem

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Perhaps there are folks who don't put their trust in politicians to help them get through life. Perhaps it's possible to forge your own trail amidst the never ending bullchit that keeps the waters muddied.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to goad me into but my outlook is from an individual stand point. I'm not changing the system, via vote or complaint. However I won't let it keep me from succeeding. You shouldn't either.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

that's a given and I see no reason to discuss individual circumstances when the topic of conversation is obviously addressing a much larger perspective

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Yes it is the Indian's fault that she is working for absolute poverty wages in a 3rd world city with open sewers and literally no way out of debt. She should work harder.

Right.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I'm simply wondering why we as a people continue to buy into the system and those who have admitted to rigging it in their favor. In the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary we continue to believe "this guy is different and will make things better", even though they and their administrations continue to reward corporations for their corruption.
edit on 1/21/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Ah, so were rehashing a 3000 year old argument, my mistake.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

originally posted by: FHomerK
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Yes, you are whinging. And no, I did not say whining.

Soooo unjust. Go stand in line, the Democrats will give you all of the government you so desperately need and want.

No one has said this is a dem or repup problem. (It is both)

And if you think that 1% snagging 82% of the wealth in any given year is OK. Wait til it is 84% and you get canned. Then you will care-me thinks.

Take some responsibility for yourself, man. If you believe that this is injustice, Bitching and moaning damn sure ain't gonna solve the problem. Go out and change it.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

One person up against billions of dollars in lobbying, yeah I'm sure that'll work well, about as well as a guy jumping into a pit if hungry crocodiles.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Pretty much anyone in America is part of the global 1%.... I always find these posts comical because the people that post them never acknowledge this fact. If you are in a modern western civilized country, by default you are part of the 1%, no matter how poor you may be by American / western civilization standards.

The reality is that there are a lot of dirt poor people living in backward sh*tholes globally. Anyone in America dropping fries at the local fast food joint makes a global 1% income (or pretty close). Some kid living in a favela in South America or some ghetto in Haiti would kill to have the standard of living of the poorest person in America.

There has always been wealth inequality. ALWAYS. I'd argue we've never had more wealth equality because pretty much anyone can make it. No longer are people trapped in a caste by birth, education, race, or anything. If you got the hustle, you can make it.

These posts also never mention all the wealth that is created as a result of the innovation of the billionaires. Most of them are entrepreneurs who became immensely wealthy because they created a product or service that is used by millions/billions of people. Jeff Bezos has made tens of thousands of millionaires. Employees thousands of people. All the ancillary businesses and services that use Amazon. Same for Microsoft. Walmart. Any other business.

Even mega rich hedge funders like Ken Griffith ($8 billion) have created thousands of millionaires and highly paid jobs. His talents are keeping pensions afloat so Grandma can enjoy her retirement.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Will do, should I vote?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I have posted many times this is about the 3rd world counties.

And no not just anyone can make it. There are places in the 3rd world where the workers are in perpetual debt, or slavery if you will.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

this is the standard i have been living by for some time now. my house is almost paid off, its the only debt i have now. i have been sinking 90% of my pay into it. loan will be paid off few more payments less then 5 years total on the life of the loan(was a twenty year loan). i only play the game as far as i have to. saved up to buy everything else i owned. if i cant afford it i don't need it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join