It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger King Admits Horse Meat In Their Burgers - Legal in USA - 'We ate some'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: watchitburn

is it ???

i always thought it was a contraction of " aberdeen angus " - the variety of beef cattle that origionated in scotland

It's not a protected term so its basically meaningless.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Here in the UK it is. If it is advertised as Aberdeen Angus it has to be, we have laws to protect food like a Cornish pasty to sell it as a Cornish pasty it has to be prepared in Cornwall.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Excellent post, I couldn't have said it better!

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
If someone says Ill never eat X,Y or Z and they do not have a medical reason why (guy I served in the military with was allergic to something in red meat he literally could not eat it) then I will strongly suggest those people have never really been hungry before in their life.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'll never eat my nephew. What now?

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

How about someone elses nephew? you could have mine the little scrote.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That kind of taunt doesn't even tempt me. I have no problem with the concept of eating meat; I simply chose to stop doing it. As long as my reasons for stopping still exist, I'll never really be tempted by it. But every now and then I'll catch a nostalgic scent or I'll start craving junk food (excess calories, sugar, and salt), and that's when the fake "meats" come into play.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

You've never been truly hungry :p ...

Remember the soccer team whos plane crashed in the andes, I suspect they thought they would never eat human flesh, but they did to survive.

Obviously I am not saying you kill your nephew..

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

I had horse jerky when i was a kid,very delicious
My dad came home with a lot of jerky once,and after we'd been munching for about half an hour,my mother asked which type it was+my dad said horse.My mother didn't feel right to eat it after that but i kept on eating.Some people are sentimental about horses.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I noticed that every time I have eaten a hamburger from BK I want to go out and run. a reply to: Planette

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I get your point but you're greatly underestimating some people's willpower.

Some of you would rather throw out your "morals" and live instead of dying with your "honor" intact. But it's naive to assume that all people are like that. Human history is filled with people who have chosen to starve and/or kill themselves so that family, loved ones, and/or their people can survive. And others have chosen to starve themselves over religious beliefs, spiritual taboos, to prove their innocence, etc. Not everyone's willing to place their temporary existence on this planet above their beliefs, and I think it's pretty naive to assume that everyone would (which was the point of my example).

Also, you shouldn't make assumptions. One of the reasons that I give to charitable causes and work on things like ending world hunger is precisely because I've faced true starvation before. But that's a story I won't get into.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Planette

If it is horsemeat, it's bloody well nice and I ate a burger yesterday from Burger King for the first time in ages, however I would prefer to know what I'm eating and don't specifically like the thought of killing horses to eat a burger but I don't know, can't have it both ways as I do like to eat rump steak once a week
edit on CSTSun, 21 Jan 2018 09:50:25 -06000000003109x025x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Mind you when we eat meat that is lab grown how many cows pigs and sheep will we then need?.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: GetHyped

Here in the UK it is. If it is advertised as Aberdeen Angus it has to be, we have laws to protect food like a Cornish pasty to sell it as a Cornish pasty it has to be prepared in Cornwall.

Those Aberdeen burgers are bloody nice too. I've only recently this last year discovered how nice they are and so far no 'extra;' tiny bit of bone found which I used to get on the odd occasion with other burgers and i'd find a tiny bone in my mouth after biting on it.
edit on CSTSun, 21 Jan 2018 09:55:09 -06000000003109x009x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: redhorse

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Planette

So what?
They still taste good. What's wrong with horse meat?
Why are you discriminating against horses?

Also, name one religion that forbids eating horses.

I don't have anything against eating horse, per se but...

I have horses and I will say that a lot of the vaccinations and dewormers we give them on the regular say right on them DO NOT USE ON ANIMALS INTENDED FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION (in big capital letters like that).

Sooo....

I promise you, the stuff they inject into and feed cattle is worse- because it's cheaper.

horse meat makes more sense- you can work a horse, you can ride a horse. a horse can give your family years of service before it becomes meat. cattle can't do # all.
our species didn't become the predominant planet destroyers we are by protecting animal rights... what kind of spoiled piece of # gets offended when their food was too useful before it became food?

if anything, we should be up in arms about beef. what an awful industry- at least horses get to work before they die. they're practically built for it.
you think cows enjoy living in cages, feeding on corn, and being pumped full of hormones so they produce more profitable milk?

go outside and work for a day. it feels good.
cubicle life is the human version of cattle- horses work for a living. who suffers less?

Well maybe. I don't know what they inject cattle with. It probably is cheaper, and it might be worse. I don't know. I take it by your location you live in or near Uffington (?) and I'm in the US, so there may be a difference there, if that's the case.

I don't even know what it is in those vaccinations and dewormers for horses that is so bad for humans. On another note, mares are often injected with lutalyse to cause them to come into season and ovulate. It's really dramatic. You inject them and they fall down and shake and sweat for 20-30 minutes. That's probably not good either. I mean, there's just a bunch of things we give horses that I wouldn't want in the food supply, and most of the horse meat that ends up on plates in the world comes from the US after the horses have been shipped to Mexico or Canada for slaughter. In short, these horses that have had these injections and products may very well be the source of the meat.

I know cattle ranchers. I've helped them often. I have never seen a cow live some, all, or even most of it's life the way that you describe. Even on the feed lot, which is relatively brief, before slaughter, although they do have far less room than they did before in their pastures, there aren't any "cages". I can go down the road and show you pictures of fat, relaxed animals in pastures that encompass hundreds or even thousands of acres. These are mostly beef cattle though. There are milk producers here and still, those cows spend most of their time on pasture, but they bring them in twice a day for milking. While being milked, the cows stand in something that might look like a cage, but they are turned back out.

I don't know that much about cattle or dairy cows specifically, but I do know this much, happy cows produce more, better quality milk. Stressed cows are prone to mastitis and any number of health issues that means their milk is useless. If anything, milk producers seem even more dedicated to and bonded with their animals, as they get to know them and work with them closely on a daily basis. And to be perfectly honest, dairy cows have a better temperament than beef cattle, generally speaking. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe there is a local culture here for keeping animals this way instead of what you describe. I have never, EVER in all my life seen a cow kept in or living in a "cage".

I know that on the feedlot some of the feed they give cattle is partly made up of ground up cow bits that aren't suitable for the human food supply. That's an issue. I think on the feedlots there is a lot of room for improvement, but for most cows, that is a rather short period of their life before slaughter.

As far as horse meat, as I said, I don't have an issue with it. I've eaten it in Germany. I admit, I would have a hard time eating my horse though. "Years of service" is one thing, but you do compromise your humanity if you can slaughter and eat a being who you know sees you as his protector and I see as my friend. He's earned a retirement with health benefits when he's done working. Don't get me wrong, I have horses I could eat if I was hungry, and some that I couldn't. I'm pretty comfortable with those individualized distinctions. I suppose that makes me a spoiled piece of #. When working closely with animals, the ground where our obligation to them and their obligation to us lives is littered with moral sink holes. It's inevitable and often complicated to navigate. I suppose, this very complexity in this dynamic defines the moral conundrum fueling veganism.

Listen though, there is a lot that I don't know about keeping horses and significantly more that I don't know about keeping cattle but the culture that I was raised in centers around it. Their care and our dependence upon them is ubiquitous and implicit in the society. *Edited to add* And I don't know anyone who keeps cattle the way that you describe.
edit on 21-1-2018 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I am glad you are working to eradicate world hunger if the world had more people working towards that we would live on a better planet.

But its not a matter of throwing away your morals (I saw the quote just using the word, not looking for a fight) , survival instinct in each person is different, and I stand by my statement with only a slight amendment, the majority of people will eat whatever if hungry enough.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

That kind of taunt doesn't even tempt me. I have no problem with the concept of eating meat; I simply chose to stop doing it. As long as my reasons for stopping still exist, I'll never really be tempted by it. But every now and then I'll catch a nostalgic scent or I'll start craving junk food (excess calories, sugar, and salt), and that's when the fake "meats" come into play.

Do you take b12 supplements? I have been studying taurine and it's classification as a semi-essential amino acid. If the proper enzymes and nutrients are present, most people can make taurine. If not, we need to consume it or our cholesterol levels go up high and the heart suffers.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

No worries, man. I'm not looking for a fight either lol.

I'm just saying that most adults have something they'll fight, kill, suffer, or die to protect. Some do it for a flag, resources/money, or land deeds; while others do it for loved ones, scriptures, or ideologies. Clearly not everyone will choose true starvation, but many cultures would prefer starving to death while maintaining "honor" instead of choosing to survive through betrayal.

I guess I'm thinking about a lot of the cultures that do despicable things like shunning divorced women, "honor killings/suicides", and "3 generation punishments". One of the underlying principles in many of those cultures is that the clan/tribe is more important than the individual. So if an individual does something dishonorable, then it's interpreted that their clan/tribe is untrustworthy and that the clan/tribe likely knew about the action and didn't stop it. So the response is usually some extreme form of collective punishment against the clan/tribe, including wars, oppression, large political reprisals, exclusion from trade, etc.

So to prevent that collective punishment, many times the offending member or a scapegoat will make the "righteous" sacrifice to prove that they did their dishonorable action alone and against their own clan's wishes. That sacrifice may include things like suicide or assisted suicide, exile, torture, handing over resources (like "blood money"), etc. Once the "outlier" has been dealt with, business usually returns to normal and the clan/tribe has been "saved".

I'm completely against that entire mindset but it's still prevalent in many parts of the world right now. Many people raised under those kinds of extreme social pressures would have no problem choosing to starve to death instead of living with dishonor. And that doesn't even go into the different religious reasons why someone may choose starvation over taboo foods (or the idolization of local war heroes). Ok, I feel like I'm getting way too off topic mods don't delete me! so I'll stop here. But I think you see where I'm coming from.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Kind of. I used to take a specific supplement that had an extreme amount (literally more than 30 days RDA per pill). The body won't absorb such a ridiculous amount, but regular supplementation can dramatically boost the body's B12 reserves.

However, those pills made me feel funny. Itchy skin, hot flashes, and a weird twitching energy, as if I'd taken a huge dose of caffeine that only kicked in sporadically. So I started only taking them for a few days a month.

Now, I don't take them at all. I get my B12 from dairy products, unfertilized eggs, fortified breads/cereals, etc. In fact, a lot of vegan and vegetarian processed products have B12 added to them, like my chocolate soy milk and some of those fake meat products. (note: B12 is synthesized by bacteria, not the meat sources it's usually associated with.)

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Yup would guess it is matter of life experiences leading to differing ways of thinking.

Part of my training was you always plan to come home alive, example being if you are out in the bush country with your best friend and they die of exposure/starvation and you are starving you have a supplement available. Coming home and giving closure to the families would be better than dying in the wilderness to possibly never be found., and leave both families suffering.
Either way its all good.

edit on 21-1-2018 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join