It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Millennials: What 'American' freedom is

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Money is your religion, money is your god. You have to do everything to worship Mammon.
That´s the "American" way of "freedom", as some of the overseas say, in their robber baron capitalism society where the weakest go to the wall because of God Mammon, greed and making the rich richer.

You just need to enslave yourself and praise Mammon, then you have your "american freedom"?

Sounds a bit "daneben", illogical, as we germans say!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   

edit on 20-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: nwtrucker

What does it explain? My good charms and looks?

The Narcissism you expel becomes you.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
F.U money helps, but after a while you may just have lots and lots of toys, without true relationships, that may seem empty , ppl with F.U money commit suicide too or do ill sht.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What does it explain? My good charms and looks?

Yes....

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
Money is your religion, money is your god. You have to do everything to worship Mammon.
That´s the "American" way of "freedom", as some of the overseas say, in their robber baron capitalism society where the weakest go to the wall because of God Mammon, greed and making the rich richer.

You just need to enslave yourself and praise Mammon, then you have your "american freedom"?

Sounds a bit "daneben", illogical, as we germans say!

Actual the thread is about freedom. The fastest route to achieve the most freedom.

The same rules apply in every nation. Including yours. I didn't make the rules or anything else involved, I'm merely point out a simple truth learned empirically.

I omit morals partly in satire and partly to avoid that becoming the typical off-topic trap.

Lastly, I place no subjective judgement on it either. How one goes about it is the choice of the individual, obviously.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
F.U money helps, but after a while you may just have lots and lots of toys, without true relationships, that may seem empty , ppl with F.U money commit suicide too or do ill sht.

Some, yes. Having 'purpose' keeps much at bay, mentally. I suspect many millennials lack pupose. Just a guess, though.

Freedom has it's own built in traps. The U.S. typifies both sides of it.
edit on 20-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

From what I have witnessed, the pursuit of the material past food and shelter, leads to a much tighter set of prison bars. There are people that can earn and accumulate without becoming a slave to the material god, but not many.

Maybe happiness and contentment are not good indicators in which to judge freedom? I guess it all depends on which gods of this reality you worship.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

From what I have witnessed, the pursuit of the material past food and shelter, leads to a much tighter set of prison bars. There are people that can earn and accumulate without becoming a slave to the material god, but not many.

Maybe happiness and contentment are not good indicators in which to judge freedom? I guess it all depends on which gods of this reality you worship.

Until there's a better definition, 'happiness and contentment' will suffice....at least for me and most people unless i miss the mark.

The 'God' has nothing to do with it. You imply, with that positioning, compulsion, fixation. That's the marginalization by those who choose not to utilize that venue....or cannot. On the other side of the coin is the sheeple label. Either way, there are downsides.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

It was a joke.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

I once hired a person who LITERALLY had a strike on his record. He couldn't afford a suit and tie. He wore a button up collar shirt and jeans. This man was THE best hire. He worked hard. Model employee. Compassion. That's strong. You don't know me or what I've endured. Least of all were my heart is. Re read what I've post. I'm about liberation for ALL. isms will not free us. And I will not let people # on my generation so cavalier. And respect for elders. My blood runs old. I am of my elders. The thing is when my grandparents saw my face, they saw hope. They didn't say psh, millennial. They decided to endow me with the wisdom they've inherited. I heed it till this day. Ask yourself, with your age and wisdom what have you learned? Because, if it's the very tools to further divide us unfortunately to this conversation it will nothing more cave proxy to what has been man's enslavement.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigohues

I once hired a person who LITERALLY had a strike on his record. He couldn't afford a suit and tie. He wore a button up collar shirt and jeans. This man was THE best hire. He worked hard. Model employee. Compassion. That's strong. You don't know me or what I've endured. Least of all were my heart is. Re read what I've post. I'm about liberation for ALL. isms will not free us. And I will not let people # on my generation so cavalier. And respect for elders. My blood runs old. I am of my elders. The thing is when my grandparents saw my face, they saw hope. They didn't say psh, millennial. They decided to endow me with the wisdom they've inherited. I heed it till this day. Ask yourself, with your age and wisdom what have you learned? Because, if it's the very tools to further divide us unfortunately to this conversation it will nothing more cave proxy to what has been man's enslavement.

That's why it's such a tough issue. I cannot deny one word of your post. I've seen it myself. The label 'millennial', is a generality. As you say, that creates divides....or....hear me now, it also labels a phenomena that does exist! That divide was already developed. The label comes after the fact of it having occurred. Not before.

Yes that label creates a diminutive all by itself. Just like 'conservative' or 'the rich' or corporations... the list goes on and on.

But it also acts as a 'heads up'. Of a group which largely doesn't have the wisdom of parents and grandparents passed on. That base their beliefs on their well controlled education. Not on life experiences they've had or those passed on by responsible parenting/grand-parenting. Far, far less enjoy that wisdom in this group.

You cite this example. Let me point out what you may not have considered. You, in fact, did NOT treat this 'hire' with full 'liberal compassion'.

You looked at his history, his application. You interviewed him. You got a feel for this person, his character, his circumstance. His flaws, his potential. You made a decision and were proven right in your choice! Well done!

Now we go to what you didn't post. That is how many applications you took, how many interviews you gave and didn't hire them! If you, in fact, believed if full liberalism for everyone, you'd have hired the first person looking for a job!

In fact, the liberal to communist mentality would have pointed their fingers at you and called you discriminatory for not hiring the first person that was looking for a job. We are all equal!! Bull.

You applied very sound judgement, a very 'conservative' point in your selection. Not full liberalism for everyone!

This isn't a criticism. It's an observation. Consider it a passing on of wisdom learned. Not a complete, all encompassing point. Just a single point...from a grandparent....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I hate these threads. So much ignorance that really boils down to the age old argument of old, grumpy people hating on the younger generations.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Fiddly floo, when I was your age we didn't have no in-tree-net, when we wanted to talk to someone far away we used pigeons with itty messages strapped to their legs. Sometimes your message didn't make it through because we were all starving and your pigeon got et by someone living in a boxcar. But we liked it. Weeeee loved it!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Fiddly floo, when I was your age we didn't have no in-tree-net, when we wanted to talk to someone far away we used pigeons with itty messages strapped to their legs. Sometimes your message didn't make it through because we were all starving and your pigeon got et by someone living in a boxcar. But we liked it. Weeeee loved it!

We should be name CrazyshOt. Let's call him....grasshopper.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Dude, I'm actually not a liberal nor a republican. That is literally for the birds. I'm a humanist. Your read between the lines is false. The round table of peers that hired people didn't agree with many people I selected to be hired. So no, I hired a lot of people. If you heard what was said I believe you would've posted differently. Please wake up. We need more people. And For the record I'm actually a modified anarchist. I'm just saying. Stop drinking from the partisan well of poison

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Dude, I'm actually not a liberal nor a republican. That is literally for the birds. I'm a humanist. Your read between the lines is false. The round table of peers that hired people didn't agree with many people I selected to be hired. So no, I hired a lot of people. If you heard what was said I believe you would've posted differently. Please wake up. We need more people. And For the record I'm actually a modified anarchist. I'm just saying. Stop drinking from the partisan well of poison

Apparently, you haven't been following the thread and that's fine. I no longer support any political party.

So your saying you never reject an application? That you accept anyone, always? That's the point of that post. If you do hire anyone that applies, whatever that business is, will will only survive due to the rest of your 'round table'.

While you may be the most 'liberal' in that round table, the fact is you have a round table. You DO qualify your applicants. The U.S.also does. It's called the law. You don't let anyone and everyone who shows up work for you-even if you would personally- any more than the U.S. overall would.

You say we need more people? We allow one million legal immigrants per year into the U.S..That's more than any country in the world.

You label yourself 'humanist' and anarchist. Fine. We see things differently.

We shall see who wins....

edit on 24-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

That's LITERALLY not what I posted. We need more people awake and human. If your not political why toss out talking points like liberal. Shakes head. Sigh. Winning lol. Humans are not chess pieces. If the sacrifice of humans equates to winning in your ideology. Then youve already lost, in a big way.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

That's LITERALLY not what I posted. We need more people awake and human. If your not political why toss out talking points like liberal. Shakes head. Sigh. Winning lol. Humans are not chess pieces. If the sacrifice of humans equates to winning in your ideology. Then youve already lost, in a big way.

I use the nomenclature that communicates...as generalized as that may be. It is a cumbersome, I agree.

No, not chess pieces. Rather self-determined, self-responsible individuals that I hold at no higher standard than myself.

My view of 'winning' is a healthy, secure and flourishing nation. When that is restored, we all have more freedoms. In my experience, one is most free when no one else is around...AKA lots of space as in the early days of the nation...or as a member of a strong group. Not quite as free as the first example but far better than the third option is, whatever one may conceive that to be.

No it isn't 'literally what you posted. I agree. I was commenting on what you didn't post, and so far, the points you still haven't responded to.

Basically, my view is there is a balance between freedom and co-operative, agreed upon rules/laws. I assume you also have some limits on your full liberalism even though they go unmentioned. We will disagree on where that balance lies. That also is freedom....

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Man, power trip much?! And who the fuggs placed you in charge enough, to decipher what group is strong. Seriously, relax. And you have not an iota, granule of what I've been saying. And no disrespect, I don't acquire a translator. I totally said what I meant. You can troll strong and twist my words to fit your #ty agenda. Or take what I've CLEARLY spoken initially at first value. At this point I'm more curious for you to truly REVEAL the purpose of original post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join