It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the Millennials: What 'American' freedom is

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Honestly? They're in a different area than I am, so I don't know how they're still in business.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Nah. The generations aren't quite spaced out enough to overlap quite like that, not perfectly. I'm an X and I'm not quite old enough to have parented most of my coworkers. So it's the generation in front of me --- maybe the oldest Xs and the youngest of the previous?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: fiverx313

I don't really care who listens to me, most of the time, I'm happy just to have a little conversation.

I can count at least one who thinks my words are wisdom however.......

my bad, i mean to be asking the OP and just quoted you for the sake of parallel structure. damn that OCD of mine!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think millennials are devoid of the concepts of working for a living or creating their own success? What is the comparison?

age.
as far as i can tell its just the bah humbug/ git of my lawn attidude.
no reason just old people being old.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It's half and half. People are responsible for their actions but they are also shaped by the ones who raised them and the environment they grew up in.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Fair enough then.

People who see my words as wisdom = 0

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I thought you said you worked in the same office as them? Maybe I misunderstood, but either way if the business is still up then I assume they're getting their jobs done.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I don't think it's that cut and dry. While there is little doubt to folks being shaped by their surroundings, somewhere around late puberty and adulthood, people become responsible for their own actions. While those influences will likely remain strong throughout life, I don't think it's a fair argument to say that it still makes up half of how they turn out nor should they be able to point to those factors as what they became.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sounds like you missed the point. Generation X is by and large the generation that birthed millennials. Are kidsnot largely a product of those who raise them?
edit on 1/19/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Fair enough then.

People who see my words as wisdom = 0

sorry about the false hope there

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Bull#. I've worked since I was 17yrs. Inherited property plus a trust fund. Traded stock. Built a portfolio for my siblings children. Wrapping up college. Major, genetic engineering. Money doesn't mean #. LITERALLY. I owe you notes, monopoly money. To # on my generation like We are all the same. Or that the Entire time you have been living, you've yet to understand the reality. I respect my elders. I'm a hard worker. My grandfather was bootleg errand boy, bought his own lumber yard. One of few black men in AL to own shares in iron and steel mills before the bust. My grandparents schooled me well. Hard work. Work smart. Cash only. This system however, it's nothing more than a heist. Ever consider that we millenials don't want to play? It's not laziness. I can't speak for all. Imagine a generation that every decade of existence was Some foreseen apocalypse. Personally, the only way to free ourselves would be to burn the money in mass non violent protests and destroy credit cards in front of the riot policeman and then turn our backs at peace. And no, I'm not a participant trophy hoarder lol. I've EARNED those academic and athletic trophies my mother has in her cases. I earned a double scholarship, team captain on all team's, took care of my dying grandmother, posted my 4.0 GPA scores around her before she passed. Part time job in the summer. Reevaluate how you see millennials. For your own wisdom. Your perspective wouldn't define me and many more in any way. But it will continue to serve as a divisive tool.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've been relatively rich.
I've been ass-broke and living like a primitive human before money had even been invented.
Money is just paper.
It is a form of energy transfer.
It is a form of religion.
I'm currently in the trough and lining up on a crest of wealth stability.
You have to bust ass and stop feeling sorry for yourself.
It's like surfing.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: nwtrucker

“Intelligence is the door to freedom and alert attention is the mother of intelligence.”

Jon Kabat-Zinn

Well, Jon is wrong. Lot's of alert, intelligent people out there who labor for others. There are other ingredients beyond that. Motivation, persistence, a dose of luck...so on.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think millennials are devoid of the concepts of working for a living or creating their own success?

What is the comparison?

Off the top, more distractions, less articulation/education of basics.

I didn't imply there aren't millennials that are of aware of of this. There are good parents out there, even some good teachers.

Yet, I felt it would be good to say it once again in case it hadn't been said to some or forgotten by others.

Can't hurt any. Could help some.

Besides, there was more than one layer to this....

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: Nyiah

That was exactly my point and as a millennial myself I take offense to being broad brushed into a group I don't belong to simply because I'm part of the same generation. It's stupid.

Your a millennial??

Now that explains much......

Actually, I fully agree with your posts on responsibility for millennials.
edit on 19-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigohues

Relax...what part of 'generality' escapes you?

All you've accomplished cannot be undone by a thread that is general in nature. True?

Also, have you not seen instances where the generality applies? In case you've forgotten, you are not held responsible for a whole generation.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife

You may enjoy this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's both funny and a bit sad. Yes, satire. (Obviously, part of my motive in the thread.)

Just a note to the milennials on ATS, I would think if one bothers to use ATS beyond mere entertainment, your in a fairly small segment, generation-wise, as any of us older types.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

The thing is, broad brushstrokes can often times mask the more finer. I'm not upset. If anything more bummed out. This drowning out of the many granules for sale of point politics is disingenuous. The truth is the meta and quantum in balance. Labelling millenials as lazy falls in line with divide and conquer. Tragedy would be that the older gen are so busy telling the newer gen how we are lacking, with same metrics that are weaponized to enslave us all. The # kicker is, that's what they want. The more neurons sacrificed chest bumping and patronizing the less are dedicated towards ACTUAL liberation. What disturbs me the most, this ageist diatribe as a black woman resembles, who is the best slave mentality. We need to work together. I'm only 32, I've lived long enough to watch generations I admire and respect be grifted. And this is not bragworthy. This is a call for action. Pardon my passion. I'm upset we are being robbed!

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigohues

While there are obviously exceptions, there IS truth to it, as well.

I have family in management and HR, as well as stories of the current crowd available to hire. It's a pretty grim picture.

Basic education skills at the lowest level ever. Zero idea in the majority that they adjust their lifestyles to the job and not the job to them.

What, I believe, you lack is a comparison to measure the worth of the current lot vs 'the old days'.

Rather than learning from those that have been there, done that, you marginalize it.

Most will learn it...eventually, but will be years behind in achieving their goals.

edit on 19-1-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

What does it explain? My good charms and looks?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join