It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California AG: 'We will prosecute' employers who violate sanctuary laws

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Although I truly miss working TheJob, I'm glad I don't have to be copping in times like these, how would You write something like that up??

I can also see 'City Fathers' leaving 'underlings' to swing, when/if the Feds get involved. Most City Fathers have their hands, both of them, fully extended to reap any benefits from High Dollar 'constituents', I'd guess to save their own skins the aforementioned politicians™ would also sell out those who contribute $$$ to their campaigns (left pocket)

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

If ICE agents wish to access a California employer’s place of business to search for possible undocumented workers/persons, the employer is only liable for prosecution by the State if the ICE agents are allowed said access WITHOUT A PROPERLY EXECUTED WARRANT.

Employers also have the right to simply waive the need for a warrant and cooperate with authorities without being a douchenozzle...except now California took this right away...ooops.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

I dare the feds to try to do this without the state's help. Lol
trump fired all the help.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
In any other country this would be considered nothing more than an act of rebellion.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
looks like California companies are caught between a rock and a hard place, do they violate federal laws against harboring,aiding and abetting illegals by not turning illegals in?,or do they violate California laws by turning the illegals in?

it seems like the honest hard working business owners in california are being used as pawns in a pissing contest between the state of California and the federal government. I wouldn`t be surprised to see a lot of business in California closing and moving to other neighboring states.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

It's all about the money,California houses the most billionaires they run country and they are going to do what they wish,they own everything so get used to it

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: DISRAELI

The Fed has to get involved, or they risk states starting to take power back.

What are you talking about? States never had the power to determine their own immigration laws in the United States--they can't 'take back' a power that they never had.

Pretty sure the supreme court (if it reaches them) would smash this, that's why it blows my mind to see a state even try it.
They are litterally throwing money away on this, I see no chance that it holds up even in the 9th circus court of appeals.

We agree, here, and California's taxpayers (like most of my extended family is) should be furious that the state is willing to waste their taxpayer dollars passing legislation like this and then threatening expensive legal action to enforce it. This is utter insanity...par for the course in California, though, unfortunately.

New California is looking better and better to most people in that state, I bet.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

bad choice of words, I was more thinking along the line of if this stands every two bit nutcase now has a legal precedent to start dismantling the republic as it stands now.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

gotcha...then we agree on all fronts of your comment. My apologies for the misinterpretation.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Alternative headline I didn't see on the AM news: "California AG: Continue exploiting illegal immigrants or else"

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

fox

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra warned employers Thursday of legal repercussions if they assist federal immigration officials in an impending crackdown in the sanctuary state, The Sacramento Bee reported.

Under a new state law – the Immigration Worker Protection Act – employers and businesses could face fines of up to $10,000 if they provide employee information to U.S. Immigration Customs, Becerra said.

If employers “start giving up information about their employees or access to their employees in ways that contradict our new California laws, they subject themselves to actions by my office. We will prosecute those who violate the law,” he said at a news conference.

[url=]MSN
I have a couple thoughts on this, has california not been hemoraging buisness to more tax friendly areas for some time now?

Seems threatening a buisness with legal repurcusions is just going to hurry the exodus, I mean a state telling a buisness follow our rules but ignore the federal rules or else seems like something out of the twilight zone.

I am kind of old and my memory is kinda fuzzy but did we not have a little tiff around the 1860s that kind of settled who gets to order who around?

Should be interesting to see how the fed decides to pressure these companies as things move forward, I cannot imagine a normal govt agency accepting this let alone with the Donald in the oval office.

So what is your best guess on incoming response from the Fed over this?

Except.

You are leaving out one very important fact:

If ICE agents wish to access a California employer’s place of business to search for possible undocumented workers/persons, the employer is only liable for prosecution by the State if the ICE agents are allowed said access

WITHOUT A PROPERLY EXECUTED WARRANT.

You know, that bothersome Constitutional thing about illegal Search and seizure.

It’s right there under that other thing in the Constitution about the right to bear arms...

Ice has an easy way to get around that. They go to a business in force. Immigrants panic and run this gives them probable cause to enter the business. This tactic is used to get around warrants and used for decades. The other method is to initiate an investigation, ICE must supply a subpoena in the form of a Notice of Inspection. An employer that’s been subpoenaed then has at least three business days to provide ICE with Form I-9s and related documentation. After 3 days they can legally enter to verify employee records.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Well, I asked because I'm not familiar with those practices. Thanks man.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

originally posted by: Trueman
What if ICE waits outside the jobsites and get the illegals when they go home?

And how would those ICE agents know which employees were undocumented and which were not?

Have we really devolved as a society where “Your paperz, pleez!” Is an acceptable demand?

Is this the cost of fear?

So much for the Home of the Brave, Land of the Free!

ICE could send an undercover agent.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

You live in a nation, of rules and taxation. You can't protect your family against an Army. However, the nation with which ypu live in does.

The systems already knows you, not a matter of why. You pay taxes? You already submitted, you live here, eat here, submission due payed.

"Freedom"? In my opinion? To simply get ahead of the system, that is my idea of freedom. Let gov take care of the foreign/domestic boogymen and I'll pay my dues and be me, a LEGAL citizen that is.

Why crap on the bed you sleep in?

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Now the left wants to force citizens to chose arrest by Feds or choose arrest by State just so they can realize their dream of more Democrat votes.

Sorry the 3/5 clause didn't work out for you. Now you're using this to ensure your slaves are counted for representation.

Last time democrats started doing # like this we took their slaves away.

About to take your slaves away again.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Love how California parades as this "Liberal Bastion", yet one of the most authoritarian "states"

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

fox

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra warned employers Thursday of legal repercussions if they assist federal immigration officials in an impending crackdown in the sanctuary state, The Sacramento Bee reported.

Under a new state law – the Immigration Worker Protection Act – employers and businesses could face fines of up to $10,000 if they provide employee information to U.S. Immigration Customs, Becerra said.

If employers “start giving up information about their employees or access to their employees in ways that contradict our new California laws, they subject themselves to actions by my office. We will prosecute those who violate the law,” he said at a news conference.

[url=]MSN
I have a couple thoughts on this, has california not been hemoraging buisness to more tax friendly areas for some time now?

Seems threatening a buisness with legal repurcusions is just going to hurry the exodus, I mean a state telling a buisness follow our rules but ignore the federal rules or else seems like something out of the twilight zone.

I am kind of old and my memory is kinda fuzzy but did we not have a little tiff around the 1860s that kind of settled who gets to order who around?

Should be interesting to see how the fed decides to pressure these companies as things move forward, I cannot imagine a normal govt agency accepting this let alone with the Donald in the oval office.

So what is your best guess on incoming response from the Fed over this?
Would be fitting for the Federal Gov't to arrest and prosecute this AG for violating Federal Law...

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Seriously guys. Don't worry about it. Let California take as many people as possible...just let them. Throw out welcome signs. Free plane tickets. Get as many people as possible.

One word. Earthquake....shoot! I hope I didn't ruin it.

Or if it doesn't happen. They will implode or explode. Yellowstone is fairly close.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Some more practices...

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And of course the companies that hire the undocumented workers, the companies that are never penalized for those hirings, can raise the prices for the product they produce, claiming, among other factors, “increased production costs”.

By which they mean the cost of hiring more undocumented workers to be underpaid, and more payments to the lobbyists who coerce politicians to allow these practices to continue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join