It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetics Why CRISPR-Edited Food May Be in Supermarkets Sooner Than You Think

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Yes agreed

I am certainly worried that any trade deal with the US will include lifting bans on certain chemicals used in agriculture and food production, chlorine washed chickens etc.
My biggest hope is if that happens we'll still have labels clearly giving us a choice.

Heck, even mc'd's is healthier in the UK compared to the products they get away with selling in the US....UK fries = oil, salt & potatoes, in the US though... [/shudders]

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I 100% agree with your post, and it doesn't happen often lol.

I know Gove have said GM labeling will continue, but I do not believe a word he says (the tories have lied about everything in the past 18 months). I think if the UK doesn't leave the EU with a good deal, then the government will be desperate to strike any deal especially with the US and that will definitely mean chlorinated chicken, chlorinated eggs etc.

People should always be given a choice and labels are essential for informed choices.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Again complete agreement.
To be denied the choice with advisory labels IF we end up folding and accept currently banned US food would be criminal in my mind.

I think it's criminal that US citizens don't get the choice so trusting a local farmer's word is their only option.
I hope protests and civil disobedience will combat any ideas of that crap being sold on the sly to us in Britain. Haven't been involved in anything like that for a few years now, but #ty US food with no label warning me? That I will fight for sure.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Question for US members, do you support or object to clear labels on food describing additives, production methods, and GM ingredients like we have in the UK?

We have a choice here where government enforces transparency to enable the choice.
In the US it seems to me your government sold you out to the GM companies.

And before anyone whinges that GM is safe or whatever, I'm just asking do you support or object to companies being required to label all ingredients and additives?
It appears the land of the free is not free to know what is in the food they are sold.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Again complete agreement.
To be denied the choice with advisory labels IF we end up folding and accept currently banned US food would be criminal in my mind.

I think it's criminal that US citizens don't get the choice so trusting a local farmer's word is their only option.
I hope protests and civil disobedience will combat any ideas of that crap being sold on the sly to us in Britain. Haven't been involved in anything like that for a few years now, but #ty US food with no label warning me? That I will fight for sure.

Same here, I will fight that too for sure. Luckily I now live in Scotland, one of the most progressive and ecological countries which is slowly building a cleaner greener future for its future generations.

Starred all your replies because even though we may disagree on the safety of GM products, we agree on freedom of choice and transparency.

edit on 18-1-2018 by Agartha because: Spelling...

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Freedom of choice and transparency yes every time.
I don't even really have a stance on GM I'm agnostic if that is a thing lol
Not being told what I'm sold though sack that.
...and I'm glad we're an island which doesn't participate in the GM research directly. If it goes tits up we might have a better chance.

...bees, other pollinators, bio-diversity n stuff
edit on 18-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final sentence

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Not really because the standards are all written by the lobbyist groups that represent the dominant corporations. So essentially, the labels are worthless.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism

Not really because the standards are all written by the lobbyist groups that represent the dominant corporations. So essentially, the labels are worthless.

Not in the UK.
GM food is black or white, it is why the labels are simple to understand in Britain.
"Contains GM ingredients"

GM food crops which the agrochemical companies walked away from when the UK government told them they had to pay for their own security instead of relying on the taxpayer funded police.
There are no commercial GM crops grown in Britain and the few test sites are as secret as 'they' can make them before they are destroyed by the people.

I'm a Brit who will fight Monsanto when they try their crap here...and so far Britain has won the battle with the US being the guinea pigs.

edit on 18-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final paragraph

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   
On the guinea pig test thoughts I'd actually like to say thank you to the people of the US who are part of the unknown results experiment of GM food and other additives.

I feel sorry for you that without labels to advise you it reduces your informed choice regarding what you eat, but thanks for being the crash test dummies because if in a generation or so we see effects (or not) we in Europe can make decisions based on your experience.

Thankfully in the mean time much of your food is banned here and/or sold with a clear label advising it is GM.

...and again, search the difference in ingredients between fries sold in a UK McDonald's and the crap they are allowed to sell you in the US.
It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic that corporations have y'all over a barrel saying thank you sir.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I won't be eating it because your GM food is banned for human consumption sale in the UK/EU.
How did Americans let themselves get sold out to the GM food industry. We protested, destroyed test crops, and won the GM war in Britain. Crazy how a generally unarmed populace managed to beat big industry and government.

I guess the 2nd ammendment failed to stop your government poisoning y'all. Rise up people, like we did in Europe where we still have natural food.

Don't be so sure other Countries haven't been infected.

Crazy how a generally unarmed populace managed to beat big industry and government.

This Is one of the most amusing statements i've seen here. An unarmed population beats big industry government? Are you serious? You have no idea do you. The prison cell is 12x12 but you can't see past the open doorway.

The hidden hand is always watching, always in control and always ahead of the game plan.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

There are no GM crops growing in Britain because the government told the companies they had to pay for their own security instead of relying on tax funded police. They couldn't afford it. Myself and thousands of others destroyed test crops in the 90's/naughty's, the companies abandoned the idea because the people were in bigger numbers than their security.
I call that a win, and so long as private security in the UK can not even legally carry sticks, we the people will always win.

...you might want to compare prison cells, I prefer mine, we actually have occasions when we can beat the guards, you don't, hence total control of your food by Monsanto.
edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typing mistake

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:37 AM
link   

I'd eat it and I'd eat GMO without fear too. My issue with GMO is the effect on ecosystems and it isn't clear yet if CRISPR produce would be any different to natural produce.

CRISPR has the hypothetical potential to improve our existence. One day the process might be able to remove depression and 'delete' cancer genes from the gene pool. Imagine if laziness and obesity could be taken out of society? No more food inequality! Say goodbye to children in hospice wards. Remove genes associated with violence. Reduce abuse in families. Dementia would become a healthcare choice.

It could narrow the spectrum of human individuality too. Gene mutations got us to where we are and maybe we should be very cautious. We'd likely see the already vast wealth gap be mirrored by a profound health gap. An elite elite.

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You know how to CT like a king!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Yep it's used as biofuel or cattle feed. It is not used as ingredients in food for human consumption

We eat the cattle so it is food for human consumption, remember mad cow disease, that happened from feeding ground up cows to cows and then we eat the cows and get sick, this will be no different.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The effect on eco systems was my main concern when I was protesting and destroying test crops. Cross pollination being my main concern.

I'm happy with the US being crash test dummies because if it ever does go tits up there with GM crops we may have a fighting chance being an island with an ocean separating us from tainted pollen.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

I respect your willingness to protest.

Like many, I was 'Monbiot(d)' in the 90s and early 2000s. Allowing these enormous corps to gamble with the world we live in was one more shortcoming of our politicians.

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   
@hopenotfear
I don't, I buy local farmer's and Waitrose which sells non GM fed meat. Totally gut instinct but so long as I have a choice I'll choose non GM.
edit on 20-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: messed up reply quote thing lol

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Haha yes!
Protest and civil disobedience is a necessary tool in a population's kit bags

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:14 AM
link   

So do I, I'm luckywhere I live as far as food goes, theres a big movement here towards foods that have as little processing as possible, more local fruit and veg is pesticide and chemical fertiliser free, even the meat from the butchers is antibiotic and hormone free, which is essentially the biggest issue with gm stuff, the term organic is used but not like the fake city crap ive seen. People here are well aware and right against poisons in food, turns out hippies are good for something...

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   

May I ask why you willfully trust GMO's or Crispr? Why do you think they're trustworthy? I'm on the sidelines with this due to my distrust for the governing bodies that lourd over us.
edit on 20-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join