It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetics Why CRISPR-Edited Food May Be in Supermarkets Sooner Than You Think

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Anyone heard of this yet? CRISPR. I hadn't that is until today.

In September, the U.S. Department of Agriculture gave the green light to a version of the plant Camelina sativa, an important oilseed crop that had been genetically engineered using CRISPR to produce enhanced omega-3 oil. What was interesting about this approval was that the USDA did not ask that the inventors of the plant endure the usual regulatory hoops required to sell biotech crops. The next month, a drought-tolerant soybean variety developed with CRISPR also got a quick pass from the USDA.

gizmodo.com...

Would you eat this, and do you think it should be properly Regulated? I think all food should be regulated, to avoid regulation is to allow loopholes, and we all know they like loopholes. Anything to save a dime right?

Anyway, I like to remain aware when it involves stuff I put into my body. Anyone with concerns about Modified and Genetically altered Food should be cautious. It's not like 1950 anymore where everything was Organic and the world Organic was never a word used for food consumption, because it simply wasn't a concern.
edit on 18-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

In April 2016, the USDA gave the first free pass to a CRISPR crop, clearing white-button mushroom that had been edited to not brown as quickly. In its letter to the scientist who developed the engineered mushroom crop, the USDA wrote that because the new mushroom “does not contain any introduced genetic material” it wasn’t even subject to the agency’s GMO regulations.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I'm still waiting to see chemical profiles different between GMO / non-GMO....

Everything comes down to chemistry. Everything is chemistry. A lack of chemistry is outer space / a vacuum. And there's a major irony in Chemistry where "Organic Chemistry" is a field of science and "organic" (as in vegetable) is more like a virtue of the touchy feelie variety (not that it isnt to be striven for where sensible).

"CRISPR" sounds like fun. Cant wait for the scaremonger memes LOL
edit on 18-1-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I'm waiting for more information before the memes appear. Evaluation is everything.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:16 AM
link   
For myself, I would never knowingly or willfully eat anything that is biogenetically designed like this.

I get it, I know that most of our foods are already genetically modified to some degree. My wife and I eat mostly from a farmers market when in season.

But this would be a line I would never feel comfortable crossing.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

The last thing I would adhere to eating would be more genetically altered crap.

I prefer the Farmers Market as well, good natural food source as apposed to cyberwrapped garbage. Not putting down those who can't but really it's a matter of research. I know what crap tastes like, that's why i dumped it and found something better.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

CRISPR will crystallize and shatter your innards muahahahaha!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:53 AM
link   
CRISPR could be the salvation of many of humanities ill.

Disease and famine would be a good thing to reduce.

But it shouldnt be released into the wild without review. Any nightshade can be made lethal with CRISPR. Like deadly tomato, eggplant, tobacco, potato....

All plants make defense chemicals. Nightshade is known to be particularly deadly

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
CRISPR could be the salvation of many of humanities ill.

Disease and famine would be a good thing to reduce.

But it shouldnt be released into the wild without review. Any nightshade can be made lethal with CRISPR. Like deadly tomato, eggplant, tobacco, potato....

All plants make defense chemicals. Nightshade is known to be particularly deadly

Nightshades are deadly, I agree. There's is enough substantial evidence of that, however undermined by Corporations with an agenda. Tomatoes for example are a night shade variety. People used to consider it poison, and tomatoes were not looked upon as edible back in the day.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   

You want to have as many kids as you want? Weather ruining crops, people pouring into the country? Unfortunately genetically modified food alleviates some issues around feeding folks and make agriculture more profitable.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I know. To me. These genetically modified crops = slow genocide. I mean really, the Government's done it before. Thalidimide is one example. Agent Orange grown in crops who knows, the Cambodian Gov sued the US Gov for it. But still they keep poisoning us. Things could be so much simpler if people would just wake up.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I won't be eating it because your GM food is banned for human consumption sale in the UK/EU.
How did Americans let themselves get sold out to the GM food industry. We protested, destroyed test crops, and won the GM war in Britain. Crazy how a generally unarmed populace managed to beat big industry and government.

I guess the 2nd ammendment failed to stop your government poisoning y'all. Rise up people, like we did in Europe where we still have natural food.
edit on 18-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final paragraph

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

I know. To me. These genetically modified crops = slow genocide.

It's actually the opposite as we, humans, have been cross-breeding plants for thousands of years and if we hadn't we wouldn't be able to eat most fruits and veg. For example:

With cross-breeding we selected certain plants for specific characteristics and then transferred its pollen to another plant with another specific characteristic (for example one has best quality and the other resistance to cold). By doing this our ancestors 'mixed' plants that may have never happened naturally.

GMOs are just that, precision cross breeding, done in a lab so instead of taking years or decades to change, they are fast as they immediately select the gene they need to enhance taste, resistance, size etc.

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I won't be eating it because your GM food is banned for human consumption sale in the UK/EU.
How did Americans let themselves get sold out to the GM food industry. We protested, destroyed test crops, and won the GM war in Britain. Crazy how a generally unarmed populace managed to beat big industry and government.

Yes, many EU countries have banned GMOs cultivation. However, they still import tons of GMO soy and corn mainly from the US, Brazil and Argentina (approx. 30 million tons per year). Imports of GMO food and feed- EU.

The ban happened because many European countries, like Italy, Scotland etc, still support local small scale agriculture and not because they deemed GMOs unsafe. In fact, it has been in the news that the ban is happening not for scientific or health reasons, but to protect their international quality reputation (due to many people being skeptical of GM produce).

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Yep it's used as biofuel or cattle feed. It is not used as ingredients in food for human consumption.
It's imported because it's cheap and there is no risk of cross pollination simply because it isn't grown here.
Our organic farms are not contaminated as has happened in the US.

Oh and splicing animal genes with plants is not possible with the traditional methods so your comparison seems dishonest to me.
edit on 18-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: added final paragraph

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Cow animal that humans can eat - corn plant that humans can eat
gene from cow gene from corn ok you see toxic from this how ?

Now adding genes to make say corn have its very own insect poison may be a problem then again maybe not as many plants we eat have there very own insect poisons .

Onions- peppers -Garlic the original plant evolved to keep bugs from eating it but as it is what they produce is not poison to humans so makes for great hamburgers lol .

Prove its safe for humans and it tast good ill eat it .
I dont care if a fish gene is put in corn ( sure would reduce soil pollution .
ps if on the off chance we kill our self doing this well thous are the brakes .

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

True, most GMOs import are for feed but there are lots of GM products we buy and eat regularly: cooking oils, chocolate, cereals etc. Here is a list if you try to avoid those products.

I am not concerned because we eat met, eggs and milk from animals that have been fed with GM products. And I am yet to see scientific evidence to condemn GMOs, or that show a link between them and disease and mortality.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I disagree with regulations in general because I believe the market can better regulate products than government. Government regulations just create opportunities for corruption, like the revolving door between big corporations and government regulatory agencies, they become gatekeepers more or less.

We have the means right here, the internet to educate people and it opens up opportunities with people that have knowledge to educate people.

In general large bureaucracies dumb the population down as people think the government is protecting them so they become lazy in regards to educating themselves. Free markets force people to become educated and then make decisions based on their research.

edit on 18-1-2018 by SkeptiSchism because: sp

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Hardly "lots" of products, some cheap cooking oil, low grade breakfast cereals, and some crappy imported sweet/candy type products lol

The absolute important point in the UK is we get a choice where US citizens do not.
ALL GM PRODUCTS ARE LABELLED AS SUCH IN THE UK

edit on 18-1-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typing mistake

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
So its GMO if they add DNA from some thing else.
But not if they take DNA from (A)
and totaly swop it around to make (B) ? !

(B)'s new bits could look like it from some thing else!
at lest when you take DNA from some thing else.
you have a small idea what it Should do!!!

this it more Dangerous than GMO !

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The absolute important point in the UK is we get a choice where US citizens do not.
ALL GM PRODUCTS ARE LABELLED AS SUCH IN THE UK

LOL
Yep, true, and all thanks to EU regulations. With May and chums I don't think you can count on that continuing after Brexit.

But I agree on the labeling, people should be able to choose according to their preferences.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join