It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Meteor Event over Michigan Bright Lights Loud Booms

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Finally the REAL questions, Recent Reports say Absolutely lol

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

Well, if it was cloudy......SIGH!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ive seen a few of these over the years.....

I would think they are not meteors though............more like human space junk just falling into the atmosphere.

Firstly they are way too slow to be true "Meteors".

They also seem too big, and give a green glow, which indicate copper.....a very human type metal, for electrical components etc.

Most true meteors are much faster than these pieces of junk, and flash across the skys in milliseconds.

Supposedly, NORAD or some other agencies track these pieces of space junk....Im sure they would have known about this one......particularly over the USA.

I would think the same with the ones shown over Russia as well.

There are 10,000+ pieces of space junk circling our planet.....all Human made.
edit on 16-1-2018 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I didn't hear anything here, no brightening of the sky either. Although, I was watching TV and totally focused on eating a pizza at the time. There are clouds but they are scattered.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I bet we've got missiles that fast, hidden away somewhere.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Now they are saying that this caused a 2.0 magnitude earthquake?
From what?..the impact?

According to the National Weather Service, the meteor caused a 2.0 magnitude earthquake, which the USGS said struck near New Haven, specifically near 25 Mile and Card Rd.

The area they are talking about is about 5 miles or so from my house.
My wife and I were eating dinner right about that time.
Never heard or felt anything.

www.wxyz.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:55 PM
link   
We live just south of Ann Arbor. We were watching tv in the dark and around 8:10pm, give or take, when outside the windows all around the house lit up, super bright orange and yellow and went dark again, almost as quickly. Ran outside, barefoot (dumb) in the snow but saw nothing. Then came the booms like multiple explosions in the distance, and shortly after that more rumblings. Reports coming in that it was an air burst meteor and the intensity of the explosion also created a 2.0 earthquake to register on the USGS system. Crazy night here...

edit on 16-1-2018 by ValleyofAshes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well, spank my ass & call me Shirley, I did hear what was probably it's sonic boom around then. The kids did, too, "What was that??" Me, in my ever-present sarcasm, "Probably someone having an accident down at the light. Again."

The last time I brushed off a meteor here, it was a flash behind the curtains that I assumed was a leaving or returning neighbor's headlights. I keep missing these things, dammit XD

Edit: W MI here, BTW, Grand Rapids area.
edit on 1/16/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Well dang Shirley, I didn't know we were that close of neighbors!

I was out to the store and didn't see anything in that timeframe either.

Missed out!

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Looks like the meteor that exploded over russia a few years ago. Very cool.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

The news report said that the "object" impacted the Earth? There will be a lot of space-junk treasure hunters and meteorite hunters combing that intersection tomorrow. Maybe tonight. With the fresh snow cover, finding impact points will be easier.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Well dang Shirley, I didn't know we were that close of neighbors!

I was out to the store and didn't see anything in that timeframe either.

Missed out!

Yep, we're both somewhere in the immediate Metro here

And man, if you want to trade butthurt stories on missing out on the fun stuff, here's mine -- remember that earthquake in Galesburg a few years ago? Didn't feel squat while people further away did

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I remember. I woke up. Assessed that it was an earthquake. Giggled and went back to sleep. Could have been a salt truck driving by, that's how relevant it was.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Bolides that are that bright and short-lived are usually smaller, very friable material detonating at very high altitude.
Most likely cometary or CC type.

Traveling so fast, they hit the atmosphere as if it were made of stone... at 40 to 60 thousand mph.

Chelyabinsk, nearly 60 feet in diameter, was much more substantial chondritic material that made it to the lower atmosphere, where we know what happened. The boom from detonation was low enough to be destructive.

It they were Irons, they would probably hit the ground.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Looks like the 'meteors' in Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams.

www.imdb.com...

I just watched that episode yesterday and it was my first thought too! Lol

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I live in Royal Oak, MI and we both saw and felt it. It looked like a lightning flash and there was a shudder. My mother-in-law says she thought a car had hit her house.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Read this morning it likely crashed into Lake Michigan

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Yeah, the same here! In sw Michigan further south and west of you and only 2 miles from the lake; if there was anything I sure don't recall. I can only say about this time, my dog did start barking, but I assumed it was the silly feral cat sneaking in the doggy door in attempt to steal his dog food again!

Last time there was a shake I was raking leaves vigorously and didn't take notice. Just assumed I was exhausted.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Firstly they are way too slow to be true "Meteors"...

...Most true meteors are much faster than these pieces of junk, and flash across the skys in milliseconds

Not true.

It may be true that those normal quick meteor streaks we see zip through the sky ARE going fast (as you indicate),somewhere around 40,000 mph). But they are tiny -- maybe like the size of a grain of sand or rice -- and burn up almost immediately when striking the atmosphere (and the streak we see is the ionized gas around the meteor).

HOWEVER, the medium-sized ones can last long enough to be slowed down considerably as they pass through the atmosphere.

The medium sized ones (let say the size of a basketball or even a small car) will hit the atmosphere at 40,000 mph, but are large enough to continue to be slowed down as the burn up. the time it takes to burn up/break up can last a long time, which is why one of these events can be visible over large areas and several U.S. states...

...BUT they eventually slow down quite a bit. They quickly slow down from 40,000 mph to 10,0000, to even 5000 mph and slower as they burn up/break up after slamming through the thick atmosphere -- which occurs pretty high up, about 60 miles, so even 10,000 mph looks relatively slow.

And by the time they get all the way through the atmosphere (if they get through) they have slowed down considerably, slow enough that they no longer glow.

They would eventually be slowed by the atmosphere to terminal velocity speeds, which for a remaining piece the size of a tennis ball could be as slow as 150 to 200 mph before striking the ground.

They also seem too big, and give a green glow, which indicate copper.....a very human type metal, for electrical components etc.

Most meteors have high concentrations of metals. Magnets will stick to some.

edit on 2018/1/17 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join