It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Navy to charge Destroyer Captains over recent collisions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
7th Fleet back in the news this week, as it comes out that the Navy is filing charges for negligent homicide and dereliction of duty against two Commanders who were captaining Destroyers involved in collisions last year. The two collisions resulted in 17 deaths.

(Note for the non-naval minded members of ATS: in this case, "Captain" is the Captain of the ship, not the servicemember's rank, which is Commander in both cases. Confusing at first, but the guy running the ship is the ship's Captain, regardless of what his rank is)

Commanders Bryce Jensen and Jessie Sanchez are looking at a range of charges, from negligent homicide and dereliction of duty down to hazarding a vessel. The term "total incompetence" has been attached to not only the two Commanders, but several junior officers and senior enlisted as well. The Admiral in charge of the Pacific Fleet has been "allowed" to retire, effective this week. The resignation doesn't cost much, though, as the Admiral was scheduled to retire next month anyway. His retirement was initially announced back in September, and was likely in response to the collisions but since that time the 7th Fleet has taken a lot of PR hits for operations.

Announcement of charges

NY Post with embedded links

Recap of the blistering report issued on the two collisions, detailing the level of incompetence prevalent.
edit on 16-1-2018 by Shamrock6 because: typorino

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Color me shocked.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The negligent homicide charges surprised me, at least.

What didn't surprise me was the guy with stars on his shoulder boards slides off in to retirement.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Of course he did. Hell if these two had been slightly higher rank they probably would have skated too and they would have nailed the OOD or a lowly watch stander.
edit on 1/16/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Well good maybe it will make it safer for our guys out there serving.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Yep! As it stands, it sounds like several other lower-ranking officers are getting charged, but they're not catching the big ones that these two did.

Not that I expect these two to really catch convictions for those charges.

Just imagine what it would look like if they were USNA grads, eh?

#ringknockers

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

No, it really won't. Because the people above them, that created the environment that pushed them to skip training and cut corners were all protected and allowed to retire with their full pensions. Again.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:45 PM
link   

They'll probably end up with NJPs, resulting in a reduction in rank and forfeiture of pay or something along those lines. At worst a dishonorable, but I doubt even that much.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Oh wow bummer.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Yep. My money is that they'll probably never get a significant command again and will quietly limp along to a retirement ceremony, but by god they'll get that retirement anyhow. Sanchez hits 20 years this year, Bensen gets there next year.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I want to know more about the insurance implications of this (currently teaching about Ocean Marine, Maritime Laws and this very type of thing!).

Thanks for sharing the news.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Either that, or the proceedings will be dragged out until they both have their 20.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
well maybe a general discharge under honorable conditions......

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
By my count they've nabbed three admirals in this so far, more than they have managed to do in the Fat Albert scandal after YEARS of deliberations. They've obviously got a couple of O-5s in the net, and their careers are over. By the law of the sea they are accountable, regardless that they were caught in an untenable situation of NON-SUPPORT by their command. Sanchez, for example, was asleep in his bunk and nearly killed. So was the Captain of the Exxon Valdez. But, hey! We'll GET 'EM and TAKE THEIR PENSIONS, by GOD! And yet, the CNO still rules.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
as a civilian looking at this case i just cant wrap my head around what was going on with that ship. the way i imagine it is that this was essentialy a booze cruise with the crew partying while the ship just cruised on autopilot.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

They nabbed three admirals that get to retire with their full retirement and pensions, while the lower ranked guys will get hammered.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Disgusting.. no fan of American navy. But this is cruel. My heart gos for the poor men and thier families.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Of course he did. Hell if these two had been slightly higher rank they probably would have skated too and they would have nailed the OOD or a lowly watch stander.

Yep, somebody has to be the whipping boy.

It really sucks that servicemen died due to stupidity and negligence.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They nabbed three admirals that get to retire with their full retirement and pensions, while the lower ranked guys will get hammered.

The first part is true. The second part is speculation.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

It's informed speculation. I've seen it before. They'll either go through a full court martial, or get a deal that results in them getting nothing. Watch and see. It's all about protecting the upper ranks, but they need a scapegoat, which inevitably ends up being the lower ranks. I've seen it happen far too many times.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join