It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Customs And Border Protection Clarifies: You Have No Rights While Traveling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Looks like flying the friendly skies isn't so 'friendly' anymore.

Due to complaints we're all familiar with at airports, border and customs are revising their policies. It also looks like this new revision is being challenged right now but if you fly frequently, it's good to know your rights.

What this means: It actually adds insult to injury that the new guidance starts: “CBP will protect the rights of individuals against unreasonable search and seizure and ensure privacy protection while accomplishing its enforcement mission.” Nothing could be further from the truth. This is clearly a violation of the Fourth Amendment protections against unreasonable search and seizure. This violates the privacy of everyone searched. Then they demand you forgo your Fifth Amendment rights against self incrimination. If you refuse to give out your password, they further violate the Fourth Amendment by seizing your device.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well I'd rather my plane not have a terror incident while I'm flying. Better to be safe than sorry

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
Well I'd rather my plane not have a terror incident while I'm flying. Better to be safe than sorry

Because we’ve had so many of them since 9/11?

You do know that since the TSA has been around they have not prevented one single terror attack? That’s fact

Now you maybe just being fecicious , but I’m def not an advocate of ANYmore restrictions on anything else

To the contrary we need to scale back

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

These toss bags act under the pretext of a supposed threat, just like the Patriot act was going to keep you safe whilst Americans loose their rights...

Stopping uncontrolled mass immigration with no vetting will be far better than strip searching a toddler going to Disney world at a airport..

They f#ck with you because they can!!!!!...

On a separate matter and I have no idea if it is linked but there may well be a change in the way that passengers are treated whilst actually on the plane, my situation was that I recently flew with my wife and two year old who had a seat to himself..

Now on previous flights I have heard parents being reprimanded for comforting a child during take off and landing and there was a case a few years ago where a toddler was refused access to the bathroom and was forced to sit in pee..

mom.me...
a flight attendant yelled at her when she tried to get up to bring her to the bathroom. (Apparently, that's against FAA rules.)

Other such examples such as being refused to use first class bathroom when the food cart is in the gangway,
www.scarymommy.com...

Now on two flights recently not a word was said to my wife about having our son on her lap during take off and people used the bathroom when the "seat belt" sign was lit, my "guess" is some has taken either the FAA or CAA to court over a human rights violation and won and procedure has changed?..

I contacted the CAA prior to the flight as I wanted to know what the current situation was with regarding child restraints and I was told that the CARES seat belt was accepted and a car seat that was approved, but it was more or less said that if the child was unrestrained at any point and justified then nothing would be said.. I have not looked any further into this but I have a incline that something has changed as they where militant about seat belt procedure.

Probably needs it own thread to get a clear answer but hey I thought I would put it here...

RA

edit on 16-1-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2018 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
if you are an american and going back to the states after living overseas for a while, I will tell this, you are nothing but a convict until your eye and finger prints matches up .

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   
if you dont believe me
well go to disney land tonight and watch the fireworks

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Now flight attendants acting like prison wardens? wtf! Too many restrictions on tax payers, we've got problems now, big ones. Serious problems that need to be addressed before this gets outta hand.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I was in LAX a few years ago, long story, but on being questioned the CBP agent woman thing grabbed my phone and said she wanted to look through it. To me, that was a shock. I don't travel. This was my first endeavour to the US (and last) and me being a 40 something Australian bloke with no record, no history, a job, etc, I was completely stunned.

"Ahh, no."
"Why not?"
"ahh, personal images on it."

she took it but they never looked, it was dead flat after the journey, and they didn't have it long enough to give it enough juice to turn on. Good thing, she did not want to see things that would have scarred her for eternity. No one wants to see that. But it's a great way to ensure your phone remains yours.

But damn, she said "Well if you continue to refuse we have the right to get a subpoena and then look your phone anyway."

Bloody hell, I was visiting friends. Not plotting to abscond into the wild west and ride hobo trains all over the nation while whistling melancholy tunes and eating hardtack and inhaling the aroma of other hobos trying to steal my hardtack.

But, I am not a US citizen, so I guess no constitutional rights are violated when foreigners are stopped, questioned, asked for papers, searched and searched again, searched once more by the next guy, locked in a room for 13 hours, and tossed back out like some sort of Aussie Mujahadeen, hell bent on corrupting your feeble and disenfranchised, paving way for hordes of ocker yobbos with stubby shorts, akubras, and proper Aussie thongs, with a side order of 'sneaky work to go' for $1.12 an hour compared to the damn $17.50 an hour I can make here. That's our minimum wage, by the way. Shockers...

They're already neanderthal thugs who couldn't make the big boy show by being cops, so they prance around arrogant and smug, treating people like they're lower than snake poop.

Did I mention I was searched entering the US, in secondary, in secondary before they put me in that locked room, in secondary when they finger printed me, in secondary when they collected me 13 hours later and paraded me like a lone chain gang convict through the entire LAX terminal, AT the terminal again by the idiot that made me flick out my hair because you know, gotta be thorough, I may have hidden that kilo of super secret smack in my hair follicles that all and sundry had somehow missed the umpteenth dozen times prior, and that last time, even made me take my shoes off again.... I WAS LEAVING, what was I going to do? "Take this Yanks, Har har har *detonates penis bomb just as I get back to Australia..* "Oh right, I was going to do it on the way TO the US.. Damn, I are so dumb..."

CBP can kiss my hair white pasty fat assymetrical posterior.

Tell you what though, I got back to Sydney, and I needed to ask a Border agent here a question... Polite as the day was sunny. Couldn't get over how different the attitude was. He joked with me, walked me to where I needed to go, was polite, smiled, was an all in all bloody good bloke.

Good times good times.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi

I'd rather not be treated like a terror incident.

:/

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

They're already neanderthal thugs who couldn't make the big boy show by being cops, so they prance around arrogant and smug, treating people like they're lower than snake poop.

Those guys are lower than that even, hard to believe isn't it these people are the worst of the worst with their frozen faces, yeah I totally get what you're talking about. I've dealt with them myself.

Did I mention I was searched entering the US, in secondary, in secondary before they put me in that locked room, in secondary when they finger printed me, in secondary when they collected me 13 hours later and paraded me like a lone chain gang convict through the entire LAX terminal, AT the terminal again by the idiot that made me flick out my hair because you know, gotta be thorough

I swear to god these people do it on purpose just to be asshats. Makes you wonder who they're hiring for the job. As they say, only in America.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

No, its better to die free, than sacrifice liberty in order to keep a life which has no meaning without that liberty.

Liberty means that the government has to have probable cause to search and seize your property, probable cause which amounts to far more than "We wanted access to a device, and were refused".

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
As a sailor, I find it concerning that I get treated much better by Cuba's custom officials than I do by the US's.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
As a sailor, I find it concerning that I get treated much better by Cuba's custom officials than I do by the US's.

I'm finding that concerning myself as a frequent flyer.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You're not far off at all on that. TSA for example, it seems to really has changed flying habits, perhaps not enough(airlines have tanked in the past years maybe a result?). Had a hard time coming back to the US from Canada, I'm a born and raised US citizen! I wish there were more customs complaints for changes to happen, though in the long run do these ever amount to anything?

new topics

top topics

join