It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical safety reminder: for CSO's and those with nut allergies working in the building trades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
A recent safety orientation at work, piqued my interest. The safety officer brought up a hidden danger in the workplace, I had not considered.

A part of the green push is to help improve the standards used in the construction industry.Companies are working on more environmentally friendly products and practices.

Nuts and nut products, are finding their way into the building trades and construction industry.

I got the impression that he was feeling quite frustrated.IMO, he didn't think the risk was being taken seriously.He brought up for example, the hidden risks of moving from diesel used as a form release agent to mixes containing nut oils.

Nut shells, unfortunately are already suspected in someone's death...

Edmonton man’s death from walnut allergy prompts calls for better access to life-saving treatment

National Post Article

“This whole story’s just insane,” his sister, Joyce Mathews-Goossen, said Monday.

“My brother was there to check the air quality and the air was poisonous to him.”

She said the family has more questions than answers about what happened, but hopes his death will prompt industry changes so no one else gets hurt.

Mathews had been a plumbing apprentice until he lost his job during Alberta’s economic downturn, his sister said. A close friend recently gave him a job with an environmental engineering company, ESP HiTech Inc.

I took a brief look at some more environmentally friendly concrete release agents, and couldn't figure out if this would be required information on the MSDS.It makes me wonder if nut allergy info would even be required for products that are not intended for human consumption.Looking over a couple of retailers, a smaller one mentions the nut allergy and in a large one it's absent.Hopefully they have procedures in place when someone actually purchases the product.

Buyer Beware:Household Products Made From Peanuts Or Nuts

Pool paint made from finely ground walnut shell from Life Guard Paint
Wood decking system derived from wood sawdust and peanut shells from CWS Decking System.
Construction material that includes almond shells from Durmond
Floor and ceiling tiles made from crushed almond shells from Textured Panels.

Many of those who are allergic to nuts, may be of younger generations and at higher risk of having an incident.I believe he had mentioned rise in this allergy was first starting to get noticed in the 70's.

I called the CSO at a precast concrete manufacturer, and asked about this.Fortunately, they were using vegetable oil. I don't think anyone had asked about this before, even just raising the issue could help prevent unnecessary incidents.In this case, another more environmentally sound product was a viable alternative.

Please practice due diligence, and ask your safety meetings if the risks of nut oils, shells and any other products at the workplace have been given due consideration.
edit on 15-1-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: Added Global article link

edit on 15-1-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: Fix title

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:36 AM
link   
But info would have to be on the data sheet because the risk of death or serious injury would be present. It should also be identified on a separate COSHH assessment which all who could be effected by it should have read and signed.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Hopefully, it's there. In the case of this incident, appears he entered the area sometime after the blasting had been done. Idk what the control zone would look like for work like that. Forced air with filters similar to silica or asbestos probably.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:05 AM
link   

But info would have to be on the data sheet because the risk of death or serious injury would be present. It should also be identified on a separate COSHH assessment which all who could be effected by it should have read and signed.

The data sheets are required to be on site but you don't look at them unless you have a question about a particular product.
Not sure what the COSHH thing is

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm not sure the staff on other crews would necessarily be aware of others using products containing allergens on the jobsite, especially if they worked different shifts.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Control of substances hazardous to health COSHH regulations UK.

The sheets have to be looked at as part of the risk assessment process. If they are not looked at then the risk assessment has not been carried out correctly and someone becomes liable. In UK they are guilty under statute law HASAWA 1974 sec 2 or liable under civil law... Donaghue vs Stevenson 1932. Tort of negligence.

If the court heard that the data sheets were present, mentioned nuts as a hazard and they were just filed away and not assessed and acted upon then someone is in trouble.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml
I'm not sure the staff on other crews would necessarily be aware of others using products containing allergens on the jobsite, especially if they worked different shifts.

Incorrect. All staff and anyone else who could be effected by any acts or omissions must be aware of any potential hazard through effective communication. This includes neighbours, possible members of the public, visitors, students etc.

However as this is a new problem, the nut thing, then maybe the hazard has been overlooked.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Effective communication being where this all falls apart.

In an ideal world of course new product information "should" be discussed with the tradespeople working with it but in todays reality with subcontractors, deadlines, clients changing design ideas midstream in projects I'm betting it's going to fall thru the cracks.

Had no idea nut derivatives were now being used in building products.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   

I'm happy to hear over across the pond, someone is paying attention. I think most of North America is still recovering from the grips of the polar vortex. I'm from Vancouver, B.C. area.

Working as a steel fixer, I never imagined nut allergies could pose a challenge to those close to me.This time of the year, construction tends to be slow in many other parts.

The gentleman was an Africakaner, he suggested this may be mostly a problem in North America. He suggested in other parts of the world, nut allergies are less common.

Beware, especially if you have friends or loved ones in the concrete trades.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
In an ideal world of course new product information "should" be discussed with the tradespeople working with it but in todays reality with subcontractors, deadlines, clients changing design ideas midstream in projects I'm betting it's going to fall thru the cracks.

Had no idea nut derivatives were now being used in building products.

This. I immediately called my CSO to give them a heads up on this after work. He had no idea, a risk like this may be present in the workplace. We've been at it for over a decade, and the other day was the first time I remember it being brought up.

Please everyone, practice being proactive getting info about this hazard out there. As companies move to become more environmentally sound, this will help shape policy and reduce accident premiums.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml
Mechanics face the same trouble. There's a "grit" that a lot of garages use for mechanics to clean their hands. It's made from ground walnut shells.

edit on 15-1-2018 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Oh that reminds me, look out for it in kitty litter too, another product often used for traction in slippery areas.
edit on 15-1-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hmm, makes me wonder how many work places stock epi pens? One to bring up in my site safety meeting.
edit on 15-1-2018 by dffrntkndfnml because: Misc

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Looking into this further...

In conversations about the forming oil, I've been told that the majority of these have gone to vegetable oil formulas.

In British Columbia, and I imagine other parts of Canada epi pens are not required in level one first aid kits. Asking about this, the expectation is that those with known allergies will have their own.

Each of us wants to go home safe to their family at the end of each day.I know some sites have naxolone for example, after an unfortunate incidents involving narcotics. It's available for free much of the time.

The epi pens are not however, that's why it's important to raise the issue. Depending on the size of the site, they may stock them. Awareness alone could help prevent incidents. Being proactive about this, is in the importance of due diligence.

Please bring up the hazards of nut products, and the importance of epi pens.

new topics

top topics

join