It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart is abruptly closing 63 Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I'm sure 1000 Democratic economist will be coming along shortly to blame Trump's tax cut on these stores closing.

Has nothing to do with the image of Wal Mart and people not wa nting to shop there.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yeah, I'll agree with all of that--it's just a better store overall, although last time that I was in there, they were severely under-staffed at the register, but that's not the norm. I mean, even the fact that they unload your cart for you and insist on doing so is a nice touch that isn't there with the Sam's Clubs around my area.

Our two stores are about 2 miles apart, sharing the two busiest roads in the "shopping district," as I call it. I would not be surprised to see Costco push Sam's out over time. Even the shopping carts are better LOL

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
BIg chains stores periodically close stores that are not profitable. It makes economic sense to close those locations that don't turn a profit.

Sorry for those people who lose a big box store near them but that is the harsh reality of running a business.

I feel sorry for the people who work at those locations

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
not 'wanting' to shop there.... harrumph ! -> these are Clubs with $50 per year membership fees

COSTCO, is more expensive with products just a cut above the 'blue collar' Sam's Club fare of goods

Sam's accountant staff likely ran dozens of cost models for Sam's Clubs after the new Tax projections are tallied up....
know what I think ----> the 'Fly over' Republican voter America had more Sam's Club closings
than Metro-Area Democrat voter portions of America.... some interested Journalist should research this possibility.

As far as the 'no-advance-notice'... the WalMart Empire needs to have a sit-down with the Accounting Staff/Lawyers & the Financial Arm of the Sam's Club franchise including the person sitting in the CFO & VP & even the CEO , none of which felt any need to give even a 6 hour notice to individual Store/Club Executives & personnel departments to contact the employees being scrubbed/erased from job positions that no longer exist...

I'm sure that the top brass in those locations which were being shut-down were given notice.... especially the locations where the product sales was converted into Express Delivery Facilities...
A complete failure by WalMart/Sam's Clubs---- which might reflect nicely on the Amazon supply chain empire in the making

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio Compared to 1993 Sam's does not carry as many items as they used to. Switched to costco cause much closer to the home back then some items comparable to the commissasry., sam's club Valley Ranch is closing in New Caney, TX. but my first experience was in in 1985 christmas houston, I-45 completely different experience need to go back to it.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
they could be losing out to online stores as more people shopping online these days instead of going to brick and mortar stores to shop .
alibaba , amazon and other online retailers make it easier for people along with offer better deals on most everything .

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Oh The Trump economy.

He takes credit for what Obama did will he take credit for this and the fact that his promise to bring back cola jobs hasnt materialzed

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Oh The Trump economy.

He takes credit for what Obama did will he take credit for this and the fact that his promise to bring back cola jobs hasnt materialzed

Obama did squat regarding the economy.

This is simply how business works. If a store doesn't produce a certain level of profitability it is closed down. The jobs lost are only temporary, as the business will shift to local competitors, thus requiring additional employees to maintain standards and needs for the extra business they will be receiving.

Tell me, if you owned 5 stores, and four made money but one was losing money, would you keep all 5 stores open?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Wal-Mart did say they are giving their employees raises and bonuses due to the trump tax cuts ,now we know how they are really doing it , they are closing sam stores and laying off employees to give wal- mart employees raises, has nothing to do with trump tax cuts

edit on 12-1-2018 by bluechevytree because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Not giving notice is a #ty way to treat employees. That is what bothers me most.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Same, that's pretty fowl. Employees aren't these corporations true interest as it is. The company isn't the first to let go employees during this tax cut. It's really a show they are putting on through Wal Mart wage hikes and bonuses. Kinda reminds me of the auto company bail outs, after the money poured in they still fired people by scaling down. Overall i really hope the numerous Wal Mart employees often forced to utilize food stamps along with working are helped by the raises.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not sure if we should directly blame trump for this as the market has been heavily favoring online retail and Amazon over brick and mortar stores for some time now. Malls will go the way of the dinosaur soon as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
My son works at Sam's in the lot gathering carts, his first job outta high school. He's been working there for 2 years, he just got a raise a few months ago, over $13.00 is not bad imho.

I have shopped at sams for years,, way before he worked there. I like Sam's, good prices, good sales, less crowded than costco and i love their scan and go app so i don't have to wait in line. I have been to Costco many times, it's good, don't get me wrong, but way too crowded, and sams has better prices on sale merchandise. Only thing our sams doesn't have is a gas station. Our sams and Costco are literally next door to each other and if they create a similar app to scan and go, I might finally break down and get a membership, but i do prefer sams at this point.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blueracer
Not giving notice is a #ty way to treat employees. That is what bothers me most.

that is normal for Wal-Mart, they rarely give advanced notice of these things. too scared employees will rip them off or do something extremely bad for the company. just like when they closed down all the autoshops in my area, so that they could lease them to another company. people showed up to work, only to be told the shops were closed. and they could apply to the new company taking over if they wanted. and you know that deal with the other company took months if not years to set up. i saw the same happen to independent business leases. they would show up for work as normal, only to be told that "sorry, you no longer are allowed, you have x-amount of time to pack up and clear out". again no warning at all to the owners of the businesses. the same for store closings. generally people would show up, only to find out they were closed. it's not nice all right. but that is the way Wal-mart always seems to do things. and Wal-mart is not alone in doing this, other businesses do it as well with closings and layoffs.

even closeting all locations of Sams clubs in an area happen. like when they closed ALL the Sams clubs in Canada all at once. that time there actually was advanced notice, probably due to the sheer number closing all at once. they were just unable to compete with Costco. i remember costumers talking about the fact that there was no real price difference between the two and Costco had better selection, so why would they pay to shop at Sams club instead. so the stores did not make enough money and they closed. i remember the article in the company paper saying it was not the fault of those working there. but the fact they just could not compete and so they had to close. and of course they had the option to transfer to another regular Wal-mart store, if there was room for them. again that is standard procedure when they close things. you can go to another location, if they have openings.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

It isn't only Walmart. Several of us were called into a meeting at 3:30, were told that we were laid off, be out of the building by 4:00.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Where I live the way they notified employees was with a note on the door, [This Store is Closed]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join