It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal Mart increasing mimimum wage and benefits; say tax reform is a reason

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
a reply to: Grambler

You really don't see it?

They fire 10,000 workers but use a very slimy tactic of appealing to the Trump supporters by saying they will increase the wages because of his tax plan. Overall, they shut down stores and fired people, and then used probably a fraction of those savings to increase wages, falsely stating that it is because of the tax plan.

You're eloquent and i like your writing -- it is disappointing you cannot see through this.

Again I dont see it.

If they are so slimy, why not just not give raises at all?

They announce $700 million in increased wages and benefits. That is no small number.

Is the small boost in PR that will have almost no affect on their business worth $700 million dollars?

Just for comparison, in 2016, Wal mart closed 154 stores.

money.cnn.com...

So this seems to be a continiung trend for them (no doubt due to on line shopping competition).

Do I think this makes wal mart a super ethical company? Of course not

But I am still happy they are raising their wages for their employees.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm going to wait to see how it's not related. As it stands right now, it is absolutely related.

The companies are owned by the Walton family, and the track record for fair employment practices and generally looking out for the employee is not on their side. Heck, Sam's Club is named after Sam Walton, the owner of Walmart and the founder of the company.

I'm gonna go with this is in the best interest of the Walton family and not the employees.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

haha. speaking as someone who was once management at Wal-Mart and LITERALLY just quit due to a better job offer, I can say that this has been in the works since before Trump even got elected. I wonder what walmart days to the associates who have worked there for 6-10 years who make 11.02 an hour and see no real benefit other than a cheap one time bonus that is only about 100 more than a supermax my share bonus. which is quarterly. now some 16 year old off the street makes what they make after several years of service.

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

No. Nothing good happens as long as you know who is in office. This must be a fluke.....

Burn this roof and turn down for what?!

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Nice, as always, to see wages increasing due to tax cuts.

I am curious, though; how many have been with the company 20+ years, that actually work in the stores?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Good call. That's exactly what they are doing. What wasn't mentioned is that Wal-Mart is simultaneously closing 63 Sam's stores. Smoke and mirrors.

eta: well crap. Mentioned on page 4. Heh

edit on 12-1-2018 by BlackmoonJester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
What i am reading here is that companies giving their employees pay raises get bad press and hateful rhetoric. Companies that do nothing dont.

Seems like a no brainer to me....no one should get pay raises as its a bad investment on the part of the company. Wal mart spent $400mil to be insulted over what seems like a decision that benefits their employees.

I hate wal mart but hate absurdity even more

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler>> The reason is they can't hold onto newer employees longer than several weeks or a few months. They wanted a younger more short termed labor force and thought that would translate into decreased payroll. No accrued time off or vacations, no raises. Young people would work several months or a year and then move on. But they also changed their policy of allowing absences to automatically terminate an employee after so many absences. Its not done at a store level, its done automatically. Young people being who they are, they'll call off weekends or Holidays ( which aren't paid anymore) so they get fired before too long. And the jobs they get hired for, working the backroom, are physically demanding and have a time schedule and pressure that the rest of the store generally doesn't have to endure. So bottom line, they can't keep people and that spells BIG trouble keeping the shelves filled and store sales up. Why bust your ass for $9 an hour when Dunkin Donuts will pay you $10 to mostly stand around? Wal mart got warned about this not that many years ago but they didn't take the correct steps to improve their workforce and to improve sales by better staffing. They're still trying to cut costs and that cost cutting is hurting them rather than helping. What's the old saying " You have to spend money to make money?"

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Kharron>>>> Whatever can be said about Wal Mart an be said for Target or any other big box retailer or chain. And the worst of the worst is Amazon who wants their employees to be like robots. Soon that's all they'll have ... robots.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So many people. There used to be a lot more 20+ year associates until they got rid of UPC last year and most of those 30-35 year associates took severance rather than going to other depts and take a pay cut. most of the people at my store were in the 6-20 year range. except cashier and cap team (crappy jobs, high turnover).

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Good News for Detroit

1 BILLION Investment

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Another Update:

Wal-Mart is now laying off 3,500 co-managers while replacing them with 1,700 lower-paid assistant store managers.

Walmart is cutting thousands of store manager positions and adding new lower-paid positions, Bloomberg reports.

The retailer is removing 3,500 salaried co-managers and adding 1,700 assistant store managers.

The managers whose jobs are cut will be able to apply for other positions.

Walmart is cutting thousands of store co-managers after raising wages

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I just can’t understand why billionaire corporations want to make life miserable for Americans. We made them rich and provide the infrastructure.

I got lucky financially. But I live in rural Idaho. I have so many friends who since the 08 crash can’t go see a doctor, no vacation in 10 years, their houses are decaying because their wages are low.
I caught my granddaughter giving her school lunch away. Now, once a month I go to school and pay delinquent lunch accounts, for one.

I don’t see how people can have so much anger against poor Americans. America was never meant to be a place of hopelessness. Not every non rich person is scum.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

How is wal mart victimizimg people by paying them more???

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That doesn’t help the thousands they are laying off. That was not the deal. But let’s pretend Tex this is just coincidental.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

There wasnt a deal.

If a store doesnt make money should the owners finance it so people dont get mad? What happens when they finally go broke and tens of thousands are unemployed?

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Sure. They just found when they got their trillion in tax cuts they are going broke.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

No....they spent a few months analyzinf 3qtr financials. Once 4qyr prelims are ready they can make a final determination on whether to pull the trigger and close the store.

At least in my experience.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

How is wal mart victimizimg people by paying them more???

It's all a sleight of hand, Big:

"Look over here, look! Sure, we'll give everybody raises! But ignore the other hand over here laying off & demoting thousands, negating the expense of paying these pissants more. Us Waltons are actually pocketing that tax break, a little numbers jiggling is all it takes."

Dollars to donuts someone squinting, looking down from their corporate (and likely inherited) throne thought by announcing raises, it would make a bunch of layoffs & demotions look better. It doesn't, we can smell their bulls# PR tactics half a continent away. They threw crumbs at the employees, screwed many more, and kept the tax break close to their offshore bank accounts by doing so.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have a friend working today Sunday probably making $70 an hour and they can't get people to work. Can't keep them working and can't get them to work OT. I used to love OT it was my toy money.

People want more money per hour but less work.

And the company is buying lunch today so that'll really get people torqued. Won't come in for $500 to work but a $3 free lunch will make them want to go on strike.

edit on 14-1-2018 by mikell because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join