It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why baby boomers need immigrants

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: starviego

If that's the case, why did the Founding Fathers specify that the Natural Born Citizenship clause didn't apply to them?

“out of respect to those distinguished revolutionary patriots, who were born in a foreign land, and yet had entitled themselves to high honours in their adopted country. A positive exclusion of them from the office would have been unjust to their merits, and painful to their sensibilities.”

WAPO

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Most of the migrants end up unemployed.

Can you enlarge on that? We have migrant workers here and they are mostly trouble free, in fact they have abuse given to them by extremists in the likes of Belfast.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

So in other words, the existence of the United States is at least partially due to immigrants.

And let's not forget it was immigrants that led to this land being colonized by Europeans in the first place.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I just can't help but think if most Americans had good paying jobs with good pay and benefits people would simply not care about immigration. But with most American's working more than 1 job for measly poverty wages everyone is unhappy. So scapegoating immigrants is open season.

Every year it just gets worse:

edit on 10-1-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

clear way to tell a dem from a repub.

Republicans are constantly trying to find a better way to make more money. A dem is sitting doing nothing but complaining about how unfair life is with their hands out to be given something. You do know tech schools are basically free with federal pell grants?

Ever wonder why imigrants ( legal ones) seem on average to be above the national average on basis of income. They dont whine or complain they celebrate and grab every opportunity.
edit on 10-1-2018 by Saiker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

So in other words, the existence of the United States is at least partially due to immigrants.

And let's not forget it was immigrants that led to this land being colonized by Europeans in the first place.

Correct

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Saiker

Republicans are constantly trying to find a better way to make more money. A dem is sitting doing nothing but complaining about how unfair life is with their hands out to be given something.

Do you really believe this? It's utter nonsense.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Psst...didn't you get the memo? Stereotypes are the in-thing these days. Certainly on ATS.
edit on 10/1/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Do you mean choosing between constant undefinable wars like the 16 year war in Afghanistan and a universal health care system or Medicare for all?

That will not bode well for the war pigs who cheer lead 13 billion $$$ aircraft carriers and trillion $$$ planes. The killing of each other is Big BUSINESS.

edit on 10-1-2018 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker

clear way to tell a dem from a repub.

Republicans are constantly trying to find a better way to make more money. A dem is sitting doing nothing but complaining about how unfair life is with their hands out to be given something. You do know tech schools are basically free with federal pell grants?

Ever wonder why imigrants ( legal ones) seem on average to be above the national average on basis of income. They dont whine or complain they celebrate and grab every opportunity.

If you think the LIberal Dems are out for you, how did Obama puss out with The ACA?

It is no coincidence the health care expenses have NEVER been more expensive than January 10th 2018. Today is the most costly day in heath care history, anywhere on the globe. And tomorrow it will be more expensive.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

100% agree, spot on.

Only thing is it gets worse every quarter.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: starviego

Where I live the pay is much more than $10 and there are a lot of bonuses. Where my parents live the going rate is $25-30++ for caretakers and it is very difficult to get anyone.

There is really a need, maybe some of us won't notice until we are the ones that need these services. By that time, we won't care if it is little green men helping us.

This is an area that I know well too well.

Can you please share with me the name of the area where your parents live, because those pay rates are well beyond rare.

The average salary in America for a caregiver is $11.00 an hour. This is for performing a thankless job, where they are often mistreated, disrespected, and held responsible for tasks that are not part of their job description, because many family members resent having to pay the agency large sums of money, and want to take their resentment out on the caregiver. Many try to use the caregiver to get their money's worth, so they treat them like slaves.

In a country where the elderly are treated as inconveniences, burdens, costly, and embarrassments, bringing in immigrants to take on the responsibility of their care is not a suitable answer to what some consider a problem.

www.indeed.com...

And if you think getting a nursing degree will improve your pay, you are wrong.
www.indeed.com...

Today's society has many problems. How we treat our elderly and each other are at the top of the list.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I know I know.. the pill.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: JAGStorm

This is the same garbage argument that is used in Europe.

How is that working out for them?

Most of the migrants end up unemployed.

There are plenty of unemployed people in the US.

If these jobs will be so necessary, I am sure that these unemployed americans can fill them.

Actually most immigrants into the UK are in full employment and paying more taxes into the system than they take out in benefits.

Just wanted to acknowledge that I was wrong; in fact it seems only 1 in 5 immigrants are unemployed.

I think what I had read before was about the more recent "refugees" in the UK< but I could be wrong.

But again, you were right about immigrant employment.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: Grambler

If these jobs will be so necessary, I am sure that these unemployed americans can fill them.

Yet they remained unfilled now. What will happen when all the baby boomers retire?

www.tpgstaffus.com...

The wages for these dearly needed jobs will rise ubntil people are willing to take them.

We can help that process along by limiting who we pay to be unemployed.

But if we import millions more people to take care of the elderly, what happens when those millions get old?

We import millions more?

Sounds like a sound strategy.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I work in home health care, albiet it with people with intelectual disabilities rather than the elderly.

We need people desperately.

The problem is many people I know dont want the job because the wages are low, and they make a comfortable living off of the government.

I have a master degree and make $14 an hour. I live in a poor rural area, so I get by fine.

But I dont think importing immigrants to work for low wages is the answer; its just a bandaid that will excaerbate the problem when these millions get old.

We need to stop incentivizing people being unemployed, and stop importing low skilled labor to drive down wages in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

I had a friend who ended up in a wheel chair for the last 10 years of his life. He had many many different "help aids" come through his apartment. Turn over was incredible, and the amount of money that was paid to the company that provided the "talent" was sickening, when you consider what trickled down to the boots on the ground. It is a money making racket that will only be solved when less of the money goes to anything other than care.

Oh and he was on methadone for his various injuries-want to guess how many times he had pill stolen????

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Exactly.

The amount of money people at the top make in health care compared to people at the bottom is grotesque.

Not to say all companies are like this, but it seems many are.

To pretend that importing immigrants will solve this problem is disingenous, further drives down wages, and allows the scheme to continue.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

While my step dad was dying from smoking related lung cancer he was in hospice care in a "care" facility. I was there and the people that they had a health aids were down right scary. I was there alot and the carnival of freaks in this 210 bed facility was unbelievable. And the cost of the bed in the facility was $5,000 a week, yes a week.

Now this included a physical therapy aid pointing to a bike and say ride, meals of course, nurses to dispense the medications hours too late, and a shower 2 times a week. We are in deep doo doo. And if I come down with a malady like that, I will do what ever it takes to not go into a facility-they are horrible.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 04:08 PM
link   
we don't have to do anything the US does not owe any country anything

the only duty our government has is to protect the citizens of the US and preserve our system of governance

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join