It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why baby boomers need immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   
www.politico.com...

I do not agree with allowing illegal immigrants in the manner that has been happening for years, but we've got to do something to allow people in legally more easily or we are going to have a crisis on our hands in the next decade.

I've been around a lot of the elderly in the last decade. I can tell you without a doubt there is a huge need for caretakers.
The need is going unfilled. Where I live, the pay is high and there are bonuses. It is just a job that nobody wants to do., it is a job most Americans don't want. I see my FB filled with ads for caregivers, I look on Indeed there are countless caregiver jobs.

I find it interesting that automation is starting to come into the picture with care for the elderly, however there is only so much a robot can do for ol' grandma and grandpa.

Instead of focusing on all the negatives of DACA and immigration issues we should look for opportunities. Allow people that aren't criminals and have skills to do this kind of work to apply for a fast track to citizenship, etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I wouldn't be too concerned. After Trump I'm sure they'll reopen the pipeline, not only for immigration but for refugees as well.

BTW, you may not have seen the stories from about two years ago, but a HUGE trend for Chinese couples for years now has been to fly to the US to birth their kids here in the US so they can go to College cheaper in the US when they grow up. That means there are thousands of Chinese anchor babies that will be repatriating to the US in probably right about 10 years into the future.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   

This is the same garbage argument that is used in Europe.

How is that working out for them?

Most of the migrants end up unemployed.

There are plenty of unemployed people in the US.

If these jobs will be so necessary, I am sure that these unemployed americans can fill them.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I think I'd rather commit suicide that subject myself than live in any elderly concentration camps. Too many human rights abuses combine with a complete lack of respect for the customer.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
So what would happen if no immigrants came? Would our old people start dying in mass? What nonsense. No nation needs immigrants to survive.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
In addition, the argument goes that there are not enough young people to care for the old because birth rates are down.

So we should imprt workers.

But so long as the birth rate continues to decline, eventually we will need for even more people to take care of the next generation of people.

So what, we should just continually import people to take care of the old?

How about if we stopped taking in millions of immigrants, there wouldnt be a need to have as many young people take care of the old on the next generation.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'm not necessarily talking about bringing in new people, I'm talking about the almost 20% (if not more) that are already in those jobs.

The fact is, unemployed Americans aren't filling these jobs, just take a look.
"Home-care agencies report that recruitment of staff is their number one challenge."

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I'm not necessarily talking about bringing in new people, I'm talking about the almost 20% (if not more) that are already in those jobs.

"Home-care agencies report that recruitment of staff is their number one challenge."

www.forbes.com...

Then we should stop incentivizing unemployment.

I bet if people couldn't get a nice check for setting at home, people would jump at these jobs.

Tghe legal immigrants that are already here and are hard working; that is great and to me thgey are great people.

But we do not need to bring in millions of immigrants to take care of old people when we have millions without jobs in this country.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

You do realize the entire existence of the United States is due to immigration, right?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Instead of focusing on all the negatives of DACA

A DACA Comprimise
www.abovetopsecret.com...

LOL this could have been added to your other thread of 1 1/2 hrs ago. LOL

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

This is the same garbage argument that is used in Europe.

How is that working out for them?

Most of the migrants end up unemployed.

There are plenty of unemployed people in the US.

If these jobs will be so necessary, I am sure that these unemployed americans can fill them.

Actually most immigrants into the UK are in full employment and paying more taxes into the system than they take out in benefits.

Immigration is a net economic benefit to the UK.

So it is working out just fine for us, thank you.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Agreed The Immigration process should include a Visa for skilled workers such as the H1A, H2a, H2b.
These visas offer people with certain skills to come to the USA. Typically it takes 1 to 2 months for paper works and interviews with the embassy to get done. The same visas should be offered to DACA as long as things follow the letter of the law. Abusing a system or ignoring the proper immigration system is akin to cutting in front of immigrants whom are waiting for their day properly and following the law.

To those that have abused the system then I have no pity. My family has spent many years and thousands of dollars following the immigration law to get here and to be delayed by people whom come or stay illegally is unfair. If it must be done then grant an open window session to get your paperwork in place and apply for citizenship like they have already. If a person fails to get their things in order it's not the rest of the world's fault.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
You do realize the entire existence of the United States is due to immigration, right?

Americans built America, and the vast majority of them throughout our history were born in America. They didn't immigrate from anywhere.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

What is great pay?
In Michigan it means paying really high costs to the caregiver or nursing company and having someone who is making $12 an hour come out and they tell you they do not make great money. They use their own car and they are NOT being paid well.

link   
Absolutely need immigrants in this country since the birthrates are so low. Immigrants who respect and follow our laws and want to assimilate within their communities. Bring 'em on...or 'in' as the case may be.

link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

www.forbes.com...

Sounds like home-care agencies need to raise wages. A national median wage of $10/hr these days just won't cut it. Especially considering you can just bag groceries for the same wages.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

If that's the case, why did the Founding Fathers specify that the Natural Born Citizenship clause didn't apply to them?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Where I live the pay is much more than $10 and there are a lot of bonuses. Where my parents live the going rate is $25-30++ for caretakers and it is very difficult to get anyone.

There is really a need, maybe some of us won't notice until we are the ones that need these services. By that time, we won't care if it is little green men helping us.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

What is great pay?
In Michigan it means paying really high costs to the caregiver or nursing company and having someone who is making $12 an hour come out and they tell you they do not make great money. They use their own car and they are NOT being paid well.

This country will have to choose between guns and healthcare. You can't have both. Human security is national security!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Yet they remained unfilled now. What will happen when all the baby boomers retire?

www.tpgstaffus.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join