It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seatle sin taxes soda

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Our moral and intellectual superiors are at it again.
Seattle has imposed a tax on sugary drinks such as Gatorade and soda.

"Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock."

The next step must be tax people by the pound.
It's for their own good ya know.
The nanny state keeps taking over one little step at a time.

rare.us...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Washington St. is now fully Democrat controlled.

The City of Seattle will feel fully empowered.

What's coming down the pike State-wise has me considering relocating.

+15 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

And when smokers asked people to stand with us and help us protect ourselves from a rapacious government, you all believed the anti-smokers when they said that the slippery slope was all a nasty lie concocted by Big Tobacco.

We are all smokers now.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Agreed

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
People will start shopping outside city limits just like in Philadelphia. They ended up killing businesses inside the city boundaries as people even moved grocery shopping to the suburbs.

This has failed everywhere it's been tried.

They will end up losing revenue.

edit on 2018/1/10 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Well that's pretty effed up.

Arbitrarily raise taxes on any product they deem.

ZIEG HEIL!.

I guess people don't have that RIGHT to choose to do what they want with their bodies.

link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Our moral and intellectual superiors are at it again.
Seattle has imposed a tax on sugary drinks such as Gatorade and soda.

"Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock."

The next step must be tax people by the pound.
It's for their own good ya know.
The nanny state keeps taking over one little step at a time.

rare.us...

Starbucks probably put them up to taxing sodas, but people add sugar to coffee. When will they tax coffee?

link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I already am.

California north, all too soon.

Not the only reason I'm leaving, but it's well up on the list. We, here on the east side of Washington, got taxed a few years back to help pay for the ferry system on the Sound. So this comes as no surprise to most of us who live here.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Sounds like the whole west coast has lost its grip on freedom.

Or is it just the big cities out there?

Oh wait, it's the cities here on the east coast, too.

I moved out of a town (city?) here in Maine recently because they started taxing residents on the rain. Not even joking.

So, it's a city thing. Time to get away from the people...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I do not agree with the tax.

Make no mistake sugar will be the next tobacco with lawsuits suing the industry, the sugar industry knows how dangerous their product is and the damage it is doing to their consumers.
This lawsuit will effect "big food" as well, they are chucking their products full of sugars to fool the taste buds into eating low fat foods.
We will see warnings about sugar on labels.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It worked real well in Illinois - NOT!

It was hilarious, while it was in effect all gas stations just outside of the taxing districts had huge signs, No Soda Tax!

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Only barely. Two vote majority is both houses, I think... Don't remember exactly, but it's close anyway. But, yep, Dems are pretty much in control of things...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Our government in Britain have already introduced the sugar tax a while back along with a plastic bag tax.
They just seem to keep inventing new taxes every year, when does it stop or is the plan to squeeze every penny they can little by little.
edit on 10-1-2018 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I live in downtown Seattle (Queen Anne neighborhood) and this BS tax is legit pissing everyone off.. Even Costco and other stores are telling us to go outside the city limits... I moved from Chicago, which had a soda tax, but they repealed it after so much blowback.. I'm sure it will happen with Seattle soon enough... Seattle has some of the worst politicians

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

“have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,”

Yes, because the market that sells Gatorade and soda don't sell fruits and veggies.

But once again, Seattleites voted for this ideology and can't complain when the consequences affect them personally. Getting bitten in the butt (or pocketbook in this case) is an effective motivator to change perspective on issues.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The funny thing is that fat people are drinking diet soda now. This will not change their habits

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

You're spot on--large urban areas seem to go against every part of human nature that exists within us.

There aren't very many conspiracies, IMO, that top the push to herd human beings into large urban cities, make that the "norm" for humanity, and then demonize those who prefer to live in small towns or off-the-grid as being anti-social, hicks, stupid, uneducated, antiquated, crazy, and any other adjective that is used to stereotype urban dwellers.

Urban cities increase in magnitude the ability of those in control to manipulate the habits and activities of individuals to suit their goals and whims.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

It’s a typical Democrat solution to a problem. Instead of just helping the people affected they punish others to ensure equality...and by equality I mean ensuring everyone is equally miserable.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

The even funnier thing is that the chemicals in diet soda are shown to increase obesity by dicking with the brain's receptors, making those who consume them hungrier and left wanting to be "satisfied" by the sweets that their brain was tricked into thinking that it got.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Not the only reason I'm leaving, but it's well up on the list. We, here on the east side of Washington, got taxed a few years back to help pay for the ferry system on the Sound. So this comes as no surprise to most of us who live here.

That's funny. I thought Western Washington was taxed to provide hundred mile highways to nowhere in Eastern Washington. You know, multi-million dollar highways (a million dollars a mile) so some podunk village could have "equal access'" to huge economic hubs like Wenatchee. The one tax I know of that was earmarked for the ferries was the car license excise tax that was skewered by Tim Eyman years ago. So what tax, specifically, does Eastern Washington pay that is solely for the ferries? And overall tax wise, which side of the state is subsidized by which other side of the state? In other words, if you split the state in two along the Cascade Range, which resulting state would be rich and which would be poor?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join