It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration exempts Florida from offshore drilling expansion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeDemBoyz
Interesting timing. Just a few days ago:

Documentary filmmaker Michael Moore has threatened to start fracking off the coast of Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort, in response to the Trump administration's proposal to increase off-shore drilling.

www.iflscience.com...

He can threaten all he wants. I don't think he has the money, no matter how rich he thinks he is. You can't just go and frack some random piece of land. There is SOOOOOOO much involved.

Surveying
Rig - company - drilling
and ONLY if needed... frack. Even if he had the money to do it all, he can't just pick a spot somewhere and frac without a legit reason.... pulling oil/gas out of the ground.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Trump also undid the regulations that would prevent another disaster like BPs.

Trump Rolls Back Offshore Safety Rules Born From BP Oil Spill

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
Because, Ducky, Deepwater was bad enough, Floridians don't want to run the risk even CLOSER to their shores. Also, no interest in having tar balls like Texas is blessed with on their shoreline.

I don't live down there anymore, and the state has little going for it, but one thing is felt pretty unanimously & VERY strongly down there -- don't f# up the water any more than BP already did.

I understand your fear but that's just it. It doesn't happen that way. Even if they did have a major spill, the rig would have to be dumping that oil right off your coast line, otherwise all that sludge would end up in MS, LA or TX.

Once more, those "tar balls" are naturally occurring, rigs or no rigs.

We've been drilling oil in the gulf for many, many years without issue. There have been rigs drilling 'off the coast' of Florida since the 70s. Most of what was found was way off the coast.

Now, here's the kicker...

Since the tourism is a multibillion-dollar business... Yes... Multi BILLION, Trump is going to let the governor have his coasts.

2 reasons.

1 - MULTI BILLION Guess who's pockets are getting filled?
2 - It has shown since the 70s and 80s that there are no reserves around the coasts of Florida worth drilling for. The abundance that they want is 50+ miles offshore.

Fun fact... Florida has zero say, nor does the country, about what is done 50+ miles offshore. International waters is only a little over 13 miles from shore. We can't uphold laws past 24 miles from shore. So the US nor Florida has any say so over any rig from any country, including our own, for rigs drilling past the 24 mile mark.

What most people don't realize, you can't see past 2.7 MILES at eye level. You can't see past 18 miles at 250 feet above sea level.

It doesn't matter anyways. Whether Trump wants it or not, no one cares about oil off the coast of Florida. Seriously. I'm only responding because the information in this thread is incorrect and too many that are uneducated on the subject are going all ape $#!^ for nothing. With Trump's permission or not... No one wants it.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

I am from Cocoa Beach, Florida. Now I live in Key West. I have worked on the water most of life. I am a hell of a lot more educated on Florida's environment than you will ever be.

My income depends on the tourism dollar and I took a hit financially because the media hyped Irma and thought Key West was destroyed.(however 20 to 50 miles up the road is still recovering). I have seen how the panhandle beaches were affected by the Deep Horizon disaster.

Texas beaches are infested with tar balls...this is a result of offshore drilling. Fortunately tar balls are rare on Florida's beaches(but they do wash up) and we want to keep it that way.

Ps....you line of sight is off. A 100' platform can be seen from over 12 miles away. Some oil rigs are over 400' tall, which means it can be seen from ground level from over 25 miles away.

But once again you are here using faulty to math to make your point.
edit on 10-1-2018 by jrod because: Add

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

My math was far from off. My information is far from off. You really need to do a little more research about "tar balls".

My state was affected also from BP during that spill and once again I stand by my statement... It was not a US company. It was an ENGLISH company. If there followed the rules, none of that would have happened. It was carelessness that caused that spill. It happened because the person's in charge were negligent. My state was worse off than you in your precious tourist based economy. It all but destroyed our shrimping and fishing industry for a time. I also know what my beaches looked like because I live not far from the coast.

I also mentioned how far those rigs were offshore. Most of the extremely few there are 50+ miles offshore. Even the closest ones are smaller than a speck on the horizon.

But like I said... No one wants to drill off your coast. There is nothing there to drill for. And as far as your pan handle, you do realize there is a huge dead zone there that has zero to do with the oil industry, right?

But hey... Stick it to oilfield. All libs and the uneducated do.

You still can't refute that your tourism is putting money in the pockets of politicians and THATS why they're so worried about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join