It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you check to see how many stars your posts get?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I go back and check to see how many stars my posts get sometimes. It's not that it usually gives me much joy to see that I made a popular post. The joy comes from getting what I feel is a new or important idea out there and seeing that it resonates with people.

Of course, I'm often disappointed when I feel like I made a really good argument or point, but there are no or few stars awarded to the post. I know that's not a perfect way to judge the significance of a post, but sometimes that's all we have.

I've noticed a fascinating trend concerning stars with myself. When a post is particularly thought-provoking, I'll often fail to give it a star because it was too good. It kind of swept me away so much that I forgot that giving a star is even an option. I wonder if that's happened to others when I notice that those posts often have very few stars.

I don't really think the number of stars a post gets is too indicative of the quality of the post anyway. I've seen too many posts with no real content get a lot of stars. I think it measures fairly well how much a post resonates with people.
edit on 8-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
No.

They are useless.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: antiantonym

No... it’s not a popularity contest. But most here think it is.

Some rather immature people here believe that stars and flags are what makes the site rather than the content.

You can create a post, say, about trump right? If it’s in a positive way it’s going to get plenty of stars and flags like it’s grown on trees. But you create a thread painting him in a negative light usually the stars go to the troll that puts the OP down first.

I don’t star and don’t flag. I never have.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

On rare occasions to check if the post was well received but otherwise i ignore them completely and just move on. Stars and Flags are just pixels and they have no real meaning for me. I think i got accused of being a star and flagfarmer lately. I admit i'm switching between mutiple tabs constantly and usualy forget to star a post but i promise to improve.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

I have a feeling people use stars and flags as a way to skim through this site. By that I mean they just focus on the threads with the most flags and the posts with the most stars.

When I'm quickly skimming through the site, I find it impossible to ignore those things. Can you really ignore a post that's been awarded a lot of stars? I usually can't just because I want to know what's popular and why. I just love psychology, sociology, and philosophy too much. I'm thinking about those things usually more than the topic of the thread.

edit on 8-1-2018 by antiantonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Usually the things with the most stars are replies that attempt to put comedy into something or try to bash the OP in some way. Rarely do i see posts with +__ more that have actual substance to it.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
just pretend they do not exist, and you can focus on things that have nothing to do with Trump! Like, anything else in the universe! Try it sometime, you know, in between the 95% of trump only threads you have authored since you got here.

Are you trying to be ironic considering the post just above this one?

I'm glad to see I'm touching a nerve. That's a good sign.

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: antiantonym

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
just pretend they do not exist, and you can focus on things that have nothing to do with Trump! Like, anything else in the universe! Try it sometime, you know, in between the 95% of trump only threads you have authored since you got here.

Are you trying to be ironic considering the post just above this one?

I'm glad to see I'm touching a nerve. That's a good sign.

No , that is not a "good sign"
That is a sign , along with this thread , of the very thing that ATS is against
Deny Ignorance

(post by pheonix358 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Do you ever check how many times things have been posted before you create yet another bat useless thread.

You are like a skipping record.

P

Almost as if we've seen this sort of thing before. But what's in a name

They can fool some of the people some of the time, but they'll never fool old Buddha

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358
dude trust me, its not that guys only account, it is just impossible to prove or talk about. The whole reason I made a thread about people ignoring the Trump Soap opera is because of the repeat trolls like this member. Im glad people actually understood the point of my thread and ignored it.

He is basically Trump's biggest fan and knob polisher, even more than supporters like us. He has such a hard on for him it is ridiculous. I would dare say, he would marry the President if it were possible. I may wash his car and get his mail, but even I would not marry the President.

This post will self-destruct within the hour...

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I used to, but then Drew Carey said "the points don't matter"...

My wife is a redhead... I worry more about her freckles, than I do about stars on a website.

(Redheads earn 1 freckle for every soul they collect. This is common knowledge... )

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
nope . too lazy and got other things to do .

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Antiantonym, the direct opposite,of the opposite,
The devils advocate the antithesis of the hypothesis,
I Wonder....

Respectfully,
~ meathead

posted on Jan, 8 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150
Who's line is it anyways, easily the funniest improv on tv. The lady that replaced him is good too, but you could clearly see the animosity between her and a couple of the original cast had in her first couple seasons. Im glad they warmed up to each other, because I could bounce a quarter off that ass!!

(post by Woodcarver removed for a manners violation)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join