It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Observable Universe contains ten times more galaxies than previously thought

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Link

Old news but still amazing.

Astronomers using data from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescopes and other telescopes have performed an accurate census of the number of galaxies in the Universe. The group came to the surprising conclusion that there are at least 10 times as many galaxies in the observable Universe as previously thought.

Wow.... just goes to show how little we know. Now I feel 10 times even more insignificant.

Pretty good read.
edit on 4-1-2018 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

But no aliens.. nooooooo way.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I'd bet there are more than that. One observable galaxy may be blocking thousands or millions more down the line..

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
... and I just got even smaller and more insignificant.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've always thought news like this was rather pointless. I may be ignorant to the science of studying the universe, but as far as I understand, we are only able to see a super-tiny fragment of it - kindof like if a scientist were to explain how they found a grain of sand on a beach. What's the point of talking about how many galaxies are in the universe when we aren't even capable of seeing all but the tiniest portion of it?
Now, discovering something new or exciting, sure, that's cool... I just don't get the speculation about how many stars or galaxies or whatever there are.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

Lol... It is mathematically impossible for there NOT to be. Plus just deep down common sense tells ME there is life anyway.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

Since you're into being sarcastic, let me ask what do you really mean?

Are you asking if there are other biology-based life-forms anywhere in the observable Universe?

Are you asking if there are other sentient, biologic life forms anywhere in the observable Universe?

Or are you irritated at people who say there is no evidence that non-terrestrial, biologic (or otherwise) human-sized creatures who are sentient and fly atmospheric craft coming here to Earth right now, and hiding among the clouds?

Just wondering since your comment is pretty vague and non-specific.

TIA

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So many locations to place your feet. When we finally get to explore the beyond, it will be most endless.

As far as where we live, it's very rural here. So far we haven't been able to even see smoke coming from any others chimneys. Maybe when we reach the visible more metropolis like clusters, intelligent life wont be so rare. Most of what we see is not clustered any where near us.

Maybe this means we can expand our boarders, without competing against alien claims for awhile.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Who need the Mandela effect when you can modify scientific observations by an order of magnitude overnight.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
With so many possibilities, and quantum physics.... Just because we think life exists out there, it does.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The thing that blow your mind .
The Universe has a ending point ( even trying to understand that concept is not possible it would be like saying the earth is flat after all how can it just end ? Maybe Trump build a wall But if so what is on the other side .

the Universe is Unending ok so it goes on Forever and ever and ever and ever Umm no way to wrap your mind around that as well .

Then there is other life . Well Humans are starting to except the idea there may be other life but and Folks this is a 300 pound BUT once we find this life it will make a fundamental change in humans thinking .Intelligent or not we are Not uniek we are not alone .

But what if the other side is true more stars then we can count and we are the only things alive in this ending ( never ending ( same thing really ) Universe . What if ? Ever get that feeling even in a crowed room of being Totally along take that incress it to infinity and that is just how alone each of us truly are .
Of the two I vote for LIFE because anything else we may as well stick our heads in the sand the day will come when earth is ether a frozen ball orbiting a dead star or a burned out cinder having been destroyed by the star in its death throws in earth case once that day finly comes it would no longer matter how many stars there are as No one no ware would be there to look up .

Depressing isnt it ? If your god had a play in this he she bites .

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

It's pretty much inevitable that life has evolved SOMEWHERE else in the universe. Life has been around for about 3.8 Billion years on Earth , but intelligent life that can seek and communicate across the expanses of space have only been around for about a century, a miniscule percent of the time life has been here.

The odds of intelligent life in our neck of the woods at the same time as us is pretty small as well......the universe is just that vast. Intelligent life that has the ability to communicate is the needle in the haystack.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

This was a year ago I remember when it first came out. Or else I'm having a serious mendella effect.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

It's pretty much inevitable that life has evolved SOMEWHERE else in the universe. Life has been around for about 3.8 Billion years on Earth , but intelligent life that can seek and communicate across the expanses of space have only been around for about a century, a miniscule percent of the time life has been here.

The odds of intelligent life in our neck of the woods at the same time as us is pretty small as well......the universe is just that vast. Intelligent life that has the ability to communicate is the needle in the haystack.

And you forget that it would be very unlikely intelligent life even exists in our galaxy. Meaning we would have to travel to another galaxy to find intelligent life. Meaning it's highly unlikely any intelligent species comes in contact with another.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

the way I see this new info.... Is that 10 fold the number of Galaxies just on the data this 14.5 billion year (observable universe) bubble gives us --->>> brings up serious Questioning of the Big Bang Theory itself

my own pet theory is that multiple Big-Bangs happened at once & each Big-Bang center point was more than 14 billion light-years distant from Its' neighbor... and that's why we see galaxies slamming headlong into each other... which should not happen if the big-bang was just one singular event happening at just one single point in the Infinite Vacuum of space-time...

in my pet universe theory, separate universe big-bangs are expanding, and slamming into each other

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
a reply to: trollz

the way I see this new info.... Is that 10 fold the number of Galaxies just on the data this 14.5 billion year (observable universe) bubble gives us --->>> brings up serious Questioning of the Big Bang Theory itself

my own pet theory is that multiple Big-Bangs happened at once & each Big-Bang center point was more than 14 billion light-years distant from Its' neighbor... and that's why we see galaxies slamming headlong into each other... which should not happen if the big-bang was just one singular event happening at just one single point in the Infinite Vacuum of space-time...

in my pet universe theory, separate universe big-bangs are expanding, and slamming into each other

There is some evidence for sort of what you propose.

Signs we might have bumped into another multiverse

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

This was a year ago I remember when it first came out. Or else I'm having a serious mendella effect.

Nope, your memory is right. I stated it was old news. I saw it on the Reddits and that was the first I saw of it.

Weird it's called the Mandela effect in my timeline......

Hmmmm

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: pavil

And you forget that it would be very unlikely intelligent life even exists in our galaxy. Meaning we would have to travel to another galaxy to find intelligent life. Meaning it's highly unlikely any intelligent species comes in contact with another.

That's why I don't believe the 17 races from other world's have visited Earth kind of theories. Why come to see caveman? To see modern man, they would have had to leave way before we even developed into homo sapians.

Makes no sense to me if I'm a highly evolved space faring species. Why travel to see monkeys?

Either that our our calculations on intelligent life are way off.

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Multiply that with dimensions and adding distances from Earth and divide by two times the chance NASA almost thought to find life in microscopic form.

Then you get like ehh , I think I'm lost at my own equation..

posted on Jan, 5 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

I get it!

Phase 1 - Collect underpants
Phase 2 - ???
Phase 3 - Profit

I think when the James Webb ST gets into orbit, tested, and starts returning results we are going to be even more amazed than we have been since Hubble's mirrors were corrected!

I either read this or dreamt it, not sure. 1,000 telescopes positioned around the globe turning the whole earth into one giant space observatory. I remember the white dome from the first one and the assembly line cranking out the others. There was an info graphic showing to where the telescopes were being sent.

The whole thing seems elusive (d@mn ME!), so I am thinking a dream. A cool dream nonetheless!

We are on the verge of new discoveries!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join