It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible images show the East Coast 'bomb cyclone' from space

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Incredible images show the East Coast 'bomb cyclone' from space
mashable.com... le+%28Mashable%29#445w_cU_y5qC

The East Coast "bomb cyclone" on Thursday looks both beautiful and sinister from space.

While scientists have been tracking storms using satellites in orbit for decades, they now have a brand new tool at their disposal: GOES-16, also called GOES-East.

The brand new satellite — which wasn't available to scientists last winter — is one of the most powerful weather-watching tools in history, able to take snapshots of the storm every minute.

The result? Some truly astonishing images.

There are some amazing Twitter photos posted by users on that link above.

If you really want to see some more "cool" pictures (or radar .gifs) of your own like this one below....

...go to NASA's Goes-R satellite imagery site HERE

I actually talked with a friend of mine who live in NY and he said they are getting hit pretty hard. And temps have plummeted like crazy. I hope his chickens are doing well in the shed.

God be with everyone on the east coast.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   
What is on the ground separating each state? The yellow boarders? Looks cool but that whole image seems like a computer drawing.
edit on 4-1-2018 by UpsideDownWorld because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
karma !

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Its not a ##&$#damn "bomb cyclone".

That term has made me irate lately.
It's a winter storm. A "Nor'easter" if you may...

But this stupid terminology is the reason all news is becoming FAKE NEWS. All for those clicks and ratings.

I know you didn't create the term, but I had to rant.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Everyone on the east coast repeat after me...global warming, global warming, global warming you will feel warmer, trust me...oh and pay your goddamn carbon tax for all the fossil fuel you are burning in your furnaces...

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

But this stupid terminology is the reason all news is becoming FAKE NEWS. All for those clicks and ratings.

No you are wrong.

It's actually a term that has been in use since the 40s indicating a huge change in barometric pressure over water indicating a sever increase in the intensity of a storm.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I like nor'easter...... just think of all the time they saved abbreviating it taking 'TH' out of it.. lol

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Oh.... and I'm hauling wood to the side of the house, splitting it, and into the wood stove here in NC. Snow on the ground, but fading fast. Still cold though, plenty cold.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I got a foot easy. This is only the third time since I move here in 1991 that it's snowed this much. I'm at the tip of the Virginia peninsula near the bridge tunnel to Norfolk.
But what's weird is they keep showing the whitehouse and they still only have a dusting to an inch and I'm 170 miles south of there. But I'm right on the coast. There's water on three sides of me. I'm guessing that's why. D.C. is further inland.
edit on 142018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Everyone on the east coast repeat after me...global warming, global warming, global warming you will feel warmer, trust me...oh and pay your goddamn carbon tax for all the fossil fuel you are burning in your furnaces...

last 24 hours record heat in Australia........
www.thorntonweather.com...

of course this is science-based, so it's fake to all you trump voters

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Wonder what it was called before the internet or if they even happened.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: havok

Feel better? This is a bomb for my area which is very poorly equipped to deal with this much snow. Lucky for us it's going to be fifty on Sunday. But until then only main roads ever get plowed so people are stuck in their neighborhoods until it melts or unless they have a big truck or SUV. I guess bomb is relative to its effects on your day to dsy. This is having a big effect here.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Out of curiosity what does this do to the jet stream going across the Atlantic to the UK and Europe? I love the snow and we seem to be having a lack of it here in the U.K.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Makes me laugh every time I see it. I hear a down East Maine accent in my head.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Where in NC ? My sister is on oak island down near the border of South Carolina.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok

Yep, a guy at work was talking about it yesterday and I asked him if he was talking about the Nor'easter going on and that they have them all the time and he didn't know what I was talking about. I just laughed considering he finally knows what it is now that the news put the fear mongering name to it for more clicks and views.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

They confuse climate with weather. Happens every winter. Every time there's a snow storm or severe cold they say the same thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

what carbon tax? Do you really pay carbon tax?
Oh I suppose you think that scientists are all incorrect and making up the data?
Its funny that people like you and Trump can't tell the difference between weather and global trends, but all right, stick your head in the sand and carry on driving your SUV.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

It's pretty epic for us. They close the schools if they can see snow on the grass. Kids just went back yesterday from a ten day Christmas break and they're getting an extension for the next two at least. Monday the roads should be clear but if there's still snow on the side streets they won't run the buses. The kids will have to make it up next June. They tried to make Saturday school one year to make up snow days but none of the parents cooperated so they just tack on extra days at the end of the year. For a while we had year round school and I think that's when they tried to get kids in on a Saturday. I don't have kids in school anymore.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It's still snowing here though it's light now. It's at least ten inches but could be a foot.
We don't even own a sled.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join