It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Android...what do you guys make of this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
About 2 weeks ago I was driving along on Toll Road 130 near Austin with my son. We were returning from a trip to see a friend in New Braunfels, and were chatting about general random stuff. The drive on 130 is pretty desolate, and lasts about an hour from Buda to Georgetown (where you exit/merge with I-35).

I was using my Garmin, with my phone stowed under the dash (there is a spot for stuff to be laid under the dash of my Ford Pickup). As my son and I were talking, my phone (an LG running the latest version of Android) offered search results (out of nowhere) for something not really related to the topic of the conversation. I think we were talking about something related to the Trump tax plan, and the search offering was for tax consultants. Something along those lines, anyway.

Have any of you ever had your phone do something like this? Eavesdrop, then try to participate in the conversation?

I don't use any of the voice activated features on my phone (never set them up).

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I should add for anyone who knows enough to offer it: my garmin has the traffic update cord. It is not synced to my phone (its 6 years old and doesn't have the bluetooth option on it). So my phone had no reason to be active.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No but last night Alexa started playing Harrods song from Jesus Christ Super Star while I was watching the news on my kindle. I had to shut it down to stop it. I never activated Alexa but apparently it's passive.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

That's creepy! Try a test. Set your phone out and say to it "hey google, are you listening?"

Not setting it up doesn't mean it isn't on.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Considering how tracking cookies can be used when you're searching with Google or doing other things with a browser, it would not surprise me at all if smart phones are listening in with the ability to do exactly what you're talking about.

Just another reason why I really don't like having one.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Yes all the time. And not just android.

My wife and I will be discussing something, like clothing for the kids, and then we see ads for what we are talking about.

Check this out as well.

arstechnica.com...

link   

The was you described it my reaction was: awww how cute.
Technology is our friend it tries to learn and improve itself so it can be more helpful. Isn't that adorable?

link   

My android phone has been known to now and again, out of the blue, come away with "Sorry, i did not understand what you said".

Phone is a Huawei P8.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

No but last night Alexa started playing Harrods song from Jesus Christ Super Star while I was watching the news on my kindle. I had to shut it down to stop it. I never activated Alexa but apparently it's passive.

This thread came about from a meme my mom tagged me in on Facebook:

I recounted the above to her, and decided that ATS might have some input behind the why.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

My Samsung note 3 does the same thing. It's a little disturbing, but now when it starts talking/helping -
I throw it in the glove box and crank the stereo.

On a side note- when your in Buda Tx. Stop at Jardines and pick up the Texas champagne hot sauce. Best sauce ever. My buddy lives in austin, and he rides his harley there to pick it up and mails it to me, God bless him.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

The was you described it my reaction was: awww how cute.
Technology is our friend it tries to learn and improve itself so it can be more helpful. Isn't that adorable?

The base of my concern, in the back of my paranoid CT mind, is that Google AI is acting outside the bounds of its directive and gathering more information about the planet.

LOL...my son tells me i come up with worst case scenarios that are far fetched. I think I understand what AI is well enough that its anything but far fetched.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Sounds to me like their source code is compiled using a different server IP, and is officially "in the wild" now.

a reply to: Hewhowaits

My main stop in Buda is Cabelas. They have this section full of cases with the sexiest guns you'll ever see. Collector models. 2 hours of "ooh's" and "aah's", easy.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

What's even more disturbing is that google keeps recordings of everything you ever asked google to search. Or in your case didn't ask it to search. It has been known for a long time google keeps recordings of all of its customers voices.

LINK

How to find and delete your recordings
1.Log into history.google.com
2.Click on the hamburger icon on the top left of the page
3.Go to “Voice & Audio Activity”
4.Scroll through your list to see all the silly things there is audio proof of you asking about
5.Click on one of the squares to select a recording to delete
6.Stop using the voice function if you don’t want to listen to yourself again in the future

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Didn't happen to me after voice conversations but happened after texting. Happened also few times on PC while texting via FB messenger.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I've had Siri scold me about my language once. Phone was just sitting there.....it's an iPhone

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Must had the mic turned on.

In that bar that says speak now.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

There is really nothing to worry. It can't do what it isn't programmed for & it's just a tool.
The AI you seem to have in mind really doesn't exist outside of Sci-Fi movies and stories.
If you want to worry about something than maybe the profiling that can be done with your data, but than again you and I probably aren't the high profile players who have to think about that either.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

There is really nothing to worry. It can't do what it isn't programmed for & it's just a tool.
The AI you seem to have in mind really doesn't exist outside of Sci-Fi movies and stories.
If you want to worry about something than maybe the profiling that can be done with your data, but than again you and I probably aren't the high profile players who have to think about that either.

It's a little concerning. He is right. They are extracting data about the planet. Check out this article detailing how they have been algorithmically turning the world into computer interpretations.

www.justinobeirne.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
All phones are always listening/watching.

I was changing out trash bags one time with my phone in my hand. The very next time I opened a browser window on my phone, there was an ad for the same brand of trash bags I had just used.

Even if you configure the services to not be used, the devices are still watching/listening and reporting back on what they see/hear.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Templeton

What is concerning about an algorithm? What is concerning about using a tool to understand your surroundings? Are you scared of binoculars?

Sorry I don't understand why I should read about Google Maps?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join