It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise as DNA reveals new group of Native Americans: the ancient Beringians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Surprise as DNA reveals new group of Native Americans: the ancient Beringians
theguardian.com

A baby girl who lived and died in what is now Alaska at the end of the last ice age belonged to a previously unknown group of ancient Native Americans, according to DNA recovered from her bones.

The newly-discovered group, named “ancient Beringians”, appears to have split off from the founding population of Native Americans about 20,000 years ago. While the ancestors of other Native Americans pushed south into the continent as the ice caps thawed, the ancient Beringians remained in the north until they eventually died out.

Not an earth-shaking discovery, but it is another tiny piece of the over-all puzzle. This group never settled further into the Americas but is being considered one of the founding genetic groups. I'm still reading articles so not sure about all the who/what/where's just yet.

A link to the paper: Terminal Pleistocene Alaskan genome reveals first founding population of Native Americans

I've read elsewhere that peoples settled into Beringa for perhaps as many as 10,000 years before moving on, time enough to diverge genetically quite a bit from their Asian ancestors.

PS: I'm given up trying to figure out why ATS can no longer post images. I'm not running any adblock software. Tried posting from imgur. Can't upload because none of the buttons work, in any brower (FF, Chrome, even resorted to IE). Flat out give up. Clink on broken image link to see pic of Beringa.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

PS: I'm given up trying to figure out why ATS can no longer post images. I'm not running any adblock software. Tried posting from imgur. Can't upload because none of the buttons work, in any brower (FF, Chrome, even resorted to IE). Flat out give up. Clink on broken image link to see pic of Beringa.

Save to your local drive then upload to ATS.

Hasn't failed me yet.

While the ancestors of other Native Americans pushed south into the continent as the ice caps thawed, the ancient Beringians remained in the north until they eventually died out.

They should have flown south like the rest.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I find this fascinating in a way.
Thanks for sharing!

S&F

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I find this fascinating in a way.
Thanks for sharing!

S&F

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Yes thanks for posting this!
I remember when news of the Upward Sun River site first was released, so exciting! But then my brain decided to remember the name as "Going to the Sun" an google searches were not my friend. LOL

Never thought they'd go the DNA route with the discovery tho.
The first question I had when reading this was " So how does this tie in to the Inuit Displacement of the Thule across the Arctic?" cause all it's addressing is the north/south population split, when we know there was west/east population movement to the eastern arctic?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The true story of humans ,our history,our DNA,we will never be told the truth,pretty much in a nutshell we were a new species put on earth,as well as the animals alongside us,the moon is a perfectly placed sattelite,all the story's I've been told do not make sense,because the numbers don't add up,we are as lost as a herd of sheep

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
The true story of humans ,our history,our DNA,we will never be told the truth,pretty much in a nutshell we were a new species put on earth,as well as the animals alongside us,the moon is a perfectly placed sattelite,all the story's I've been told do not make sense,because the numbers don't add up,we are as lost as a herd of sheep

maybe its time to hang the hat...

.. the moon is a perfect satellite because it must be in order to function as such.; not unlike every other satellites orbiting a larger body (i. e. Mars or venus in reference to the sun).
im not sure who is holding this 'truth' either. superhuman people who have the ability to withhold every and all information somehow? not top sure on that or the numbers you referenced.
but i digress,!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

thanks for posting blackmarketeer,

As much as I respect Willersevs work, he is in error.
The archeological evidence clearly shows that there were people in every corner of the new world by the time his "ancient beringians" made their way south.
Where he made the wrong turn was with Anzick, in assuming that anzick represented an unadmixed north american population, when in reality Anzick is the product of South Americans who travelled north.

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

An this is why we need MORE of you on the forum!
Thanks!!

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

Thanks for that Caver78

It is truely an exciting time for new world anthropology.
BTW, I am not questioning Willersev's basic premise that there was a major migrational episode 25-40kya, the genetic and archeological evidence converge on that point, its just that they were not the first.
Then one must ask ones self, What type of event would cause so many people from widely varied lifestyles to suddenly decide they needed to go walkabout.
I may have an answer, an answer that may fill in some blanks across a host of disciplines, but i want to re read the recent papers and confirm that the dating windows coincide, if there is a correlation it will rile some members for sure.
edit on p0000001k47142018Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:47:51 -0600k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10
So, there appears to be a correlation between some dating of the human migrations and episodic periods of catastrophes.

The presence of two geochemically distinct microspherule populations found by us in Late Pleistocene skull
fragments points to at least two episodes of cosmic impact, and/or diferent target source rocks, and the skull ages
(~18–48 ka B.P.; Table S1; Fig. 9) indicate that perhaps a greater number of such episodes (~2–4) occurred. It is
also unclear how many separate extinction events there were both before and afer the LGM. Cooper et al.
25 noted
a distinct cluster of events between ~37 and 32 ka, corresponding to D-O interstadials 5–7, and the question
arises whether these extinctions with overlapping ages could have resulted from a single short-lived event. By
comparing our 14C dates with the extinction age ranges in Fig. 9, it appears plausible that there could have been
fewer discrete impact-related extinction events prior to the LGM, possibly occurring around 40–42 ka, 34–37 ka,
and 27–30 ka
, with another at the onset of the YD stadial (~13 ka)26–28.

Impact related micro spherueles

Its a great paper, whether or not you buy into the theory
edit on p0000001k08142018Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:08:00 -0600k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'll definitely be looking into this.

I've been compiling a list of the inhabitation history of this hemisphere.
Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join