It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2018

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl

I knew nothing about that part.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   
6.4 off Taiwan coast.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM

An earthquake has severely damaged buildings and trapped dozens of people in the Taiwanese city of Hualien.

The powerful 6.4-magnitude tremor struck at 23:50 (15:50 GMT) about 20km (12 miles) off the island's east coast.

Rescuers are trying to free people from a partially collapsed hotel and residential building, officials say.

Photographs show leaning high-rise buildings and extensive damage to roads. There are no details of casualties so far.

BBC.com/news - Taiwan earthquake: People Trapped Hualien.

Browser acting funky. Reports of partially collapsed buildings and roadways. The article shows a partially collapsed hotel. They are being hit with aftershocks which makes emergency response difficult. Hualien is in the center of the island, on the coast.

edit on 6-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: finally able to copy, very strange...

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

This one took down some high rise buildings and many people are trapped. Hardly seeing this on the news. Hope there is not a big loss of life, but it doesn't look good. Surprised to see the buildings collapsing, since i thought they were EQ enforced there.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

I think they are, but more so in their capital.

The photos show what look like brick and cinder block buildings leaning at crazy angles. The aftershocks do not help when foundations are barely holding on.

The Independent is reporting 2 dead, 100 reported injured. Which is not good news.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) -- A magnitude 6.0 earthquake struck off the coast of Hualien at 11:50 p.m. tonight (Feb. 7) causing dramatic shaking throughout Taiwan, with Hualien suffering the brunt of the quake and at least five major buildings have collapsed, two bridges closed and sections of two highways have been shut off to traffic.

The epicenter of Tuesday's quake was 18.3 northeast of Hualien County hall at a shallow depth of 10 kilometers, according to Central Weather Bureau (CWB) and was the 94th earthquake since a spate of quakes started on Sunday. As this was the biggest of all 94 earthquakes, the CWB believes this was actually the main quake that the previous tremors were building up to, but only time will tell.

TaiwanNews.com (.tw) - 5 Buildings in eastern Taiwan's Hualien collapse after magnitude 6.0 quake.

That it happened close to midnight is not good to hear as the full extent of the damage will not be seen until daylight.

EQ swarms are nothing to be casual with! When the count starts to get high, start paying attention!
edit on 6-2-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarification

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
They just had a 6.1 2 days ago also. My wife was on the phone with her sister as it happened.
Poor Taiwan!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: tjack
They just had a 6.1 2 days ago also. My wife was on the phone with her sister as it happened.
Poor Taiwan!
If they just had a 6.1 then it might not be over.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl

Thanks for the heads up as I have tried to contact TA about a question. Wasn't aware of the whole story and outcome of this.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexanderM

Agreed

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlexanderM

Poor Taiwan!

I read somewhere they said it was unusual with the foreshocks and aftershocks and said another mag 6 is possible.
I’ll try to find the link and edit
Here
Hualien earthquake pattern unprecedented
edit on 7-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

originally posted by: AlexanderM

Poor Taiwan!

I read somewhere they said it was unusual with the foreshiocks and aftershocks and said another mag 6 is possible.
I’ll try to find the link and edit
Here
Hualien earthquake pattern unprecedented
Or there could be something bigger coming.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

This one took down some high rise buildings and many people are trapped. Hardly seeing this on the news. Hope there is not a big loss of life, but it doesn't look good. Surprised to see the buildings collapsing, since i thought they were EQ enforced there.

Well they must not be up to code. Most places are now and it’s rare to see this kind of damage.

I believe death toll is at 8 now with dozens missing, I assume it’s the lower floors of the collapsed buildings. One survivor said he watched the first floor sink , then the fourth floor became the first floor. Most people were in bed

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Is TA not around here now ? I’ve not been on much lately.
Would be nice if he could weigh in with his thoughts

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Not since last summer or fall.
check the 2017 Quake watch thread.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
On our side of the Ring of Fire, the Seattle quake from a few years ago, was the opposite of this one. It was quite deep, and larger to boot. After the last Super Moon, plus Eclipse, I'm waiting for a few bigly's around the Pacific Basin. This is where the last Lunar Eclipse was total.

Throw some new Vulcanism in for good measure!

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

The deeper a quake is , the less shaking and damage it causes.
This might explain while the buildings collapsed with a shallow quake in Taiwan. The energy it was releasing went right across the surface shaking everything on top of it more easily..
A deeper quake looses energy by the time it gets to the surface.

I don’t want a quake in our region. No volcanoes blowing either! I am sensing we are going to get one in the next year or so though, but it’s just a feeling, nothing more. I just hope it’s not The Big One

posted on Feb, 8 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Violet, Dave Johnston lectured our WSU Geology class on Mt. St. Helens. She is the most active of all the Cascade Volcanoes. But it was a quake, ( 5.8 ), which killed Dave, in a lateral blast. Now that fault is waking up again. But probably not for another 1 in 4000 year event. I don't even want to think of Mt. Mazama blowing Crater Lake into the stratosphere, like the 1883 eruption of Krakatau. Still most of our Cascade Strato Volcanoes are pretty snow capped mountains. But they are still Sialic Volcanoes. And these monsters can all kill, from a long, long, ways off.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A mag 5.4 quake just struck 14 mins ago 56 km SSW of Kiska Volcano in Alaska in the Bering Sea
242 km from Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia

USGS
edit on 9-2-2018 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I wonder if liquefaction was a factor in the Taiwan quake??

Looked like a lot of damage for a 6.4.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join